PT57, A few questions...

ConsideringLawSchool

PT57, A few questions...

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:01 am

Thanks very much for everyone's helpfulness--happy to repay and try to explain any questions that are mysteries to you :-)

Section 2 (LR), Q16
Unquestionably, "fails to live up to its billing" is the main conclusion. I don't understand why "proofreading generally squanders any time saved in typing" is not a secondary conclusion (answer A). What am I missing here? Is there a broad definition of "conclusion" that I am misinterpreting?

Section 2 (LR), Q25
I am not necessarily suggesting that there is a better answer, but C seems seriously flawed. Based on the stem, we know that non-resident/former resident contributions over $100 need to be registered. We have no idea whether or not contributions from residents need to be reported--for all we know, contributions of over $1,000 from residents need to be reported. How, then, can we say that no contributions at all need to be registered?

Section 3 (LR), Q16
Answer A seems to be a virtual paraphrase of the stem. "The fast pace of modern life" summarizes the "pace of life today has become faster," and "difficult for people to achieve their goals" summarizes that the idea that it feels that we can never achieve what we think we want.

Answer C seems to be too broad. While it is a valid big-picture message from the passage, it doesn't seem to conform the "most closely." The stem does not even refer to technological changes, and people's feelings are just one component of the described change. What am I missing?

Woozy

Re: PT57, A few questions...

Postby Woozy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:44 am

Allow me to take a stab:

S2 Q16: A conclusion must be supported by one or more premises. There are no premises which support the phrase "proofreading generally squanders any time saved in typing" therefore it cannot be a conclusion. I would call it a claim which supports the main conclusion.

S2 Q25: When the stimulus states that the "law regarding campaign contributions is as follows:" you can conclude that what follows is the law in its entirety. You rightly point out that it says nothing about resident reporting requirements, and if this were in the course of a normal question without the "law is as follows:" language that would be an important thing to note. However, since you may assume that the question has reproduced the entire law governing campaign contribution reporting requirements, C is correct.

S3 Q16: Choice A got you with a bit of a scope change. The stim says that we don't feel we achieve what we want, A says we actually don't achieve it. But, it is perfectly plausible that modern technology allows people to achieve more, but still feel as if they have less time or are achieving less.

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:59 am

Woozy wrote:Allow me to take a stab:

S2 Q16: A conclusion must be supported by one or more premises. There are no premises which support the phrase "proofreading generally squanders any time saved in typing" therefore it cannot be a conclusion. I would call it a claim which supports the main conclusion.

S2 Q25: When the stimulus states that the "law regarding campaign contributions is as follows:" you can conclude that what follows is the law in its entirety. You rightly point out that it says nothing about resident reporting requirements, and if this were in the course of a normal question without the "law is as follows:" language that would be an important thing to note. However, since you may assume that the question has reproduced the entire law governing campaign contribution reporting requirements, C is correct.

S3 Q16: Choice A got you with a bit of a scope change. The stim says that we don't feel we achieve what we want, A says we actually don't achieve it. But, it is perfectly plausible that modern technology allows people to achieve more, but still feel as if they have less time or are achieving less.

Woozy--you're awesome, by the way. Thanks for all your awesome advice always.

In terms of Q16, you're absolutely right. I focused on the fact that "goals" was a great paraphrase of "what we want--or at least what we think we want" and missed that the stem does say only that we don't feel we achieve these goals.

studylaw7

Postby studylaw7 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:08 pm

ConsideringLawSchool wrote:
Woozy wrote:Allow me to take a stab:

Woozy--you're awesome, by the way. Thanks for all your awesome advice always.

In terms of Q16, you're absolutely right. I focused on the fact that "goals" was a great paraphrase of "what we want--or at least what we think we want" and missed that the stem does say only that we don't feel we achieve these goals.

hmm for Q16, (A) never says that we don't achieve the goals, it only says that it is difficult to achieve. I would say that feeling like we never have time to achieve what we want (our goals) would make it difficult to achieve them.

I think "modern methods of communication and transportation" implies technological change and this is the key that leads to the fast paced life and the "feelings of impernanence and instability" - these feelings are also key. Answer choice 'A' only captures the speed portion but does not capture the main problem - technological change, and 'A' does not capture the importance of "feelings".

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”