So How Many Sections Should I be Doing For My PT's?

Madman

So How Many Sections Should I be Doing For My PT's?

Postby Madman » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:49 pm

Because I work full time etc, I find that fitting in an extra 35 minute section during the evening is often not feasible. I have recently been doing 4 section tests with only a 1 min bathroom break 1 time during the test (no 10 min break). I know this isn't five sections, but I figure 4 in a row should be decent for my stamina. Also, I don't really find myself exhausted by the end of the test, if anything I usually get better as the test goes on. Also, I use a free online proctor. Currently I am averaging 165.

Although I am not doing five sections, is this still a fairly decent representation of testing conditions (of course I know it is not exact).

Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

Re: So How Many Sections Should I be Doing For My PT's?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:50 pm

Madman wrote:Because I work full time etc, I find that fitting in an extra 35 minute section during the evening is often not feasible. I have recently been doing 4 section tests with only a 1 min bathroom break 1 time during the test (no 10 min break). I know this isn't five sections, but I figure 4 in a row should be decent for my stamina. Also, I don't really find myself exhausted by the end of the test, if anything I usually get better as the test goes on. Also, I use a free online proctor. Currently I am averaging 165.

Although I am not doing five sections, is this still a fairly decent representation of testing conditions (of course I know it is not exact).

Thanks

If you don't have time, do what you are doing, but with no 1 minute bathroom break. You need to train your bladder on test day, or be willing to piss your pants.

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Madman wrote:Because I work full time etc, I find that fitting in an extra 35 minute section during the evening is often not feasible. I have recently been doing 4 section tests with only a 1 min bathroom break 1 time during the test (no 10 min break). I know this isn't five sections, but I figure 4 in a row should be decent for my stamina. Also, I don't really find myself exhausted by the end of the test, if anything I usually get better as the test goes on. Also, I use a free online proctor. Currently I am averaging 165.

Thanks

If you don't have time, do what you are doing, but with no 1 minute bathroom break. You need to train your bladder on test day, or be willing to piss your pants.

I would pay extra money to be in that testing room to see how the other people there react

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:59 pm

zreinhar wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Thanks

I would pay extra money to be in that testing room to see how the other people there react

Honestly I'd usually have enough time where I'd be able to at least piss in the hallway.

evergirl23

Postby evergirl23 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:31 pm

I was/am in the same situation - I work full-time and don't get home until 6:30 most nights. Studying for the December test, I only did 4 section PTs, and I think it really hurt me. 40% of the questions I missed were in the 5th section, and when I reviewed them, they were things that I don't think I would have missed were it not for fatigue setting in. So now that I am studying for the February test, I am making myself do 5 sections, even if it means I come home, do a test and go straight to bed. Can't say that my boyfriend is loving it, but since it is only for the next month, he is dealing. :wink:

So I would recommend that if you absolutely can't do a 5 section every night, try to do one at least 2-3 times a week.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:36 pm

I mixed my PT strategy up. I mostly did 4 sections without a break, or 1 short break like you have been doing. As the test got closer, I did 5 sections more often.

yeast master

Postby yeast master » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:41 pm

Thanks

Early on, I did a couple 5-section PT's and found that stamina wasn't a problem for me. So from then on I just did 4 sections. On test day I was fine. I think RC was the last section on my exam and I aced it.

So I would say if you've done 5-section PT's and not found stamina to be an issue, I wouldn't worry about it. But if it is an issue for you, practice with full tests.

davidicus

Postby davidicus » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:42 pm

evergirl23 wrote:I was/am in the same situation - I work full-time and don't get home until 6:30 most nights. Studying for the December test, I only did 4 section PTs, and I think it really hurt me. 40% of the questions I missed were in the 5th section, and when I reviewed them, they were things that I don't think I would have missed were it not for fatigue setting in. So now that I am studying for the February test, I am making myself do 5 sections, even if it means I come home, do a test and go straight to bed. Can't say that my boyfriend is loving it, but since it is only for the next month, he is dealing. :wink:

So I would recommend that if you absolutely can't do a 5 section every night, try to do one at least 2-3 times a week.

I found myself in a similar situation - practiced exclusively with 4 sections and missed a ton on section 5. I'd say once a week do a 5 section test under simulated conditions to prep yourself.

Also - bladder training is important. I had to pee really bad halfway through section 2 and held it until the break. Don't over-hydrate on the morning of the test.

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:47 pm

I think it's an individual question... Personally, I think the 4 sections are perfectly fine. Also, no need to practice 4 sections without a bathroom break--you only have to do 3 consecutively without a bathroom break on the real thing.

As for me, my attitude is that if I can consistently answer every question correctly within 35 minutes, the number of sections really don't much matter.

Madman

Postby Madman » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:50 pm

davidicus wrote:
evergirl23 wrote:I was/am in the same situation - I work full-time and don't get home until 6:30 most nights. Studying for the December test, I only did 4 section PTs, and I think it really hurt me. 40% of the questions I missed were in the 5th section, and when I reviewed them, they were things that I don't think I would have missed were it not for fatigue setting in. So now that I am studying for the February test, I am making myself do 5 sections, even if it means I come home, do a test and go straight to bed. Can't say that my boyfriend is loving it, but since it is only for the next month, he is dealing. :wink:

I found myself in a similar situation - practiced exclusively with 4 sections and missed a ton on section 5. I'd say once a week do a 5 section test under simulated conditions to prep yourself.

Also - bladder training is important. I had to pee really bad halfway through section 2 and held it until the break. Don't over-hydrate on the morning of the test.

This sounds funny, but because I am at work all day drinking tea and water, when I am done usually section 2 of my PT's I feel like my bladder is going to blow. I notice on Saturdays when I do a PT, this is not as much of an issue because I have not usually drank as much throughout the day. I don't know, maybe I just have a wussy bladder, that is really my big concern, getting tired is not such a worry.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”