Help out Pithypike, TLS

pithypike

Help out Pithypike, TLS

Postby pithypike » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:33 pm

I have recently begun working on creating a few new versions of the LSAT study guide and expanding on aspects of it for future test takers. In order to do this, I would like some input from those who have already used it or those who are currently using it. I'm looking for a few things from you guys.

1. General problems you have with the methods laid out in the guide.

2. Problems specific to testers who had previously prepared for the LSAT using another method, a class, your own style of study, etc.

3. Problems specific to testers who had less than 3 months to complete study. Did you cut back on review days or complete PTs to complete in under three months? Did you complete the LGs quicker? Cut out infrequent game types? What do you think worked? What didn't?

4. Anything that you feel should be added to the guide or any sections that you feel should be expanded upon.

I may have a few more questions in the future, but for now this should do it. The more feedback you give me the better we can make this site and the more we can help future applicants. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by pithypike on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

savesthedayajb

Re: Help out Pithypike, TLS

Postby savesthedayajb » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:38 pm

Thanks pithypike for your amazing study guide. Helped me out a ton.

Ignore this request if one already exists, but it might be helpful for some if you include not only shorter study guides but longer as in 5 or 6 month plans.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:46 pm

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:50 pm

Help out Pithypike, TLS

I don't think you're even a real person. No one person can have so much knowledge about the LSAT.

So no, I am definitely not sending you no checks.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:54 pm

For serious, now:

I had a big problem with your guide, which was that it relies on so many sources. Powerscore and actual prep tests were certainly enough for me. When I saw "Kaplan," I was like, "Huh? No." And I guess that many people are free to make the same decision I did. Still, it might be helpful to try to make your list of needed materials more succinct. I pretty much followed the gist of your study ideas without needing the Kaplan guide.

pithypike

Postby pithypike » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:02 pm

Tanicius wrote:For serious, now:

I had a big problem with your guide, which was that it relies on so many sources. Powerscore and actual prep tests were certainly enough for me. When I saw "Kaplan," I was like, "Huh? No." And I guess that many people are free to make the same decision I did. Still, it might be helpful to try to make your list of needed materials more succinct. I pretty much followed the gist of your study ideas without needing the Kaplan guide.

Okay - thanks a lot for your input. The main purpose of Mastery is to compile LR types in one place - what did you replace this with? Any advice on a supplement that compiles LR questions by type like the Mastery book does?

am060459

Postby am060459 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:06 pm

http://www.cambridgelsat.com

this site breaks down the LSAT into section and further into types of questions.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:37 pm

I think that a for-free compilation of the LR types would be pretty doable, just like with all the game types. By the way, when using the game types document on Notepad, one thing that drove me crazy was having to find the page for every game in the massive 10-test books published by LSAC, so what I did was identify the book number and page number for most of the games ahead of time, and so I was able to sit down, do a game on page three, know instantly that the next type is on page 57, etc. It saved me a lot of headaches, and I still have that document with most of the book and page numbers (a few are still missing because I never bothered practicing certain types). If you want that updated game types file PM me your email.

pithypike

Postby pithypike » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:38 pm

YCrevolution wrote:I made this a sticky for the time being. Thanks for all of your advice pithypike.

Thanks for the sticky YCrevolution, and no problem.

Good input so far - thank you.

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:15 pm

Links to pictures of the books / study materials would be helpful. Many of us had trouble sorting out what materials to buy. Making mistakes when the books are $50 + each hurts! For example, instead of saying the Kaplan Mastery Big Orange Book, link the Amazon or Google Books page. That would really help when trying to gather all the materials!

Thank you for the guide. I am using it now for the June LSAT.

yeast master

Postby yeast master » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:19 pm

pithypike wrote:3. Problems specific to testers who had less than 3 months to complete study. Did you cut back on review days or complete PTs to complete in under three months? Did you complete the LGs quicker? Cut out infrequent game types? What do you think worked? What didn't?

I had 7 - 8 weeks. My diagnostic (163) revealed a major weakness in LG. So I worked through the LGB and did all the games from the books of PT's at least once, sometimes three times, in addition to the games sections in the 15-20 full (4-section) PT's I took. I was still not super great on LG by test day, but I was consistently missing 5 - 12 fewer questions than on my diagnostic.

The bulk of my 3 - 4 hours (average) of study time per day was spent on LG specifically. I also went quickly through the LR bible, which was alright for me. Most valuable was the formal logic/conditional reasoning stuff, which was my biggest weakness in LR when I started studying. On test day I missed 3 total on LR, none of which was formal logic or conditional reasoning.

For RC all I did was PT's. I didn't need anything else, as I got something like -3 on diagnostic and -0 on test day.

In summary, LGB was important for me; LRB was helpful, mostly for formal logic/conditional reasoning; I took and reviewed PT's about every 3 days on average. I didn't use any other books. Diagnostic: 163, test day: 172.

IHaveDietMoxie

Postby IHaveDietMoxie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:21 pm

this might be overkill, but I always thought it would be cool to have a stickied thread where people can post internet articles that are similar/related to RC passages.

another idea, something I did a little bit on my own, was to have the LR questions sorted by argument type, as opposed to question type. Specifically, you could organize them based on the various argument strategies/flaws you find in informal logic texts. This would be a huge undertaking, but it really helped me understand things better.

FreeGuy

Postby FreeGuy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:26 pm

pithypike wrote:Any advice on a supplement that compiles LR questions by type like the Mastery book does?

There's a pretty complete categorization of LR questions here. You can use it with any source of PrepTests.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:31 pm

You could make good money if you paid for permission to republish LSAC material and then organized it, then sold it.

I would have paid 300 bucks to have all the material ready to go.

DivinerH

Postby DivinerH » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:57 pm

As I speak English as a second language and am preparing for the LSAT, I think it would be great if you add some advice for foreign students. I sometimes struggle with some question stems not because the problem itself is difficult but the wording is tricky. It might feel as a second nature for you natives to interpret them, but for us, it's another factor which makes the question difficult.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:51 am

I would only suggest that you add something about working with a group. After getting a 170 I tutored for 9 months and bumped my score up to 175. Teaching the LSAT is really the best way to learn it. I encouraged my students to get together weekly and each student would teach the others one game or one RC passage or what ever they wanted to work on. Teaching 3 other students how to answer the birds in the forrest game or a passage about Native Americans should take at least 20 minutes if you go over it in fine detail. It requires a lot of prep work in advance, too. He benefit is that the teacher learns the material better than the people being taught. But you also get 3 peers to show you a better way. Organizing a study club is far cheaper than paying for a tutor and can supplement a formal course. It also keeps you from slacking if others are depending on you to teach them something. The trick to group work is to be organized and for each person to contribute. Kick 'em the hell out of your group if they are slackers.

BearDownChicago

Postby BearDownChicago » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:00 am

Ive browsed your extensive guide before, unfortunately it was after I took the lsat TWICE :(

I took a Kaplan class for the first test and I agree with just about everyone on this site that Kaplan teaches you how to get a 155+ and doesn't really concentrate on elite scoring. I suggest you stress not taking everything a class says as law. For instance, they try and tell you diagram every RC passage and take notes. Ridiculous. Obviously some tips were helpful, but Kaplan rules are not law, along with a lot of other review courses and books. So yeah just stress the importance of finding your own method that works and not take everything these reviews say so seriously.

batch

Postby batch » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:01 pm

152 Feb2009 test - worked through LGB, LRB, LRC, and one superprep test on my own - all untimed.

As you might expect, I could figure out answers to most/all questions BUT vastly underestimated time factor. I didn't take a watch w/ me to test center assuming there would be a clock on the wall - wrong. I had to guess on lots of questions as I ran out of time. My 152 is result. There were other extenuating circumstances such as studying for PE exam concurrently (which I passed), starting a new position at work, and family issues (3 kids & pregnant wife at the time). But I think those were secondary influences. The main reasons I did so poorly, imo, not enough drills to make the various problem types automatic and not enough (any) focus on time constraint. <-- yes, I was an idiot.

OK... so having read your guide, it left me a little unclear on how it was structured. Further reading uncovered:

kaplan mastery = tests 2-42? sorted by type, difficulty, w/ debatable explanations
10 tests series = 30 tests for us to manually sort by type and practice (x3 min) - figure out where we went wrong on our own. Also do these under appropriate timed conditions and figure out how to increase speed.
latest 10 tests (49-58 I think) & superprep = tests for us to practice as whole tests. building endurance and overall time management.

Would be nice to make this a bit more clear w/o having to read through entire thread & others. Of course, correct me where I'm wrong on test #s and other details.

As far as my personal plan, I'm still not sure if I'm going to take a course or not. Certainly I agree w/ others in similar situation that course schedule will help w/ "sorry honey, I have to go to class" when family wants attention. "Remember? We committed to making this time sacrifice." Even if I do take a course, I plan to begin on my own hammering through the early tests (2-42) by type ASAP & finish by taking more than the 4-5 timed tests that go w/ the course. Other than making time management easier, I'm not sure a course adds much since I'm familiar w/ the powerscore bible series. I don't think I need someone quoting the techniques from a ppt presentation. Although discussing where I went wrong could be useful.

Anyway - thanks for the guide. The idea to sort problems from early tests by type should have been easy jump after reading bible series. Yet, I didn't consider this technique until I read your guide.

Traciela

Postby Traciela » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:10 pm

pithypike wrote:The main purpose of Mastery is to compile LR types in one place - what did you replace this with? Any advice on a supplement that compiles LR questions by type like the Mastery book does?

These books compile Logical Reasoning by type: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0984199713 and http://www.amazon.com/dp/0982896913

These books compile Logic Games by type: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0984199705 and http://www.amazon.com/dp/0982896905

These books compile Reading Comprehension by type: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0984199721 and http://www.amazon.com/dp/0982896921

I hope this helps. PM me if you want more info!
Last edited by Traciela on Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AllGasNoBrakes

Postby AllGasNoBrakes » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:24 pm

There is only one problem I found with the study guide, and it has yet to be addressed. By doing the LR questions from the Mastery Book, you have a total of 789 questions to work with, all of which coming from the “10 More LSAT” series. But if you were to actually do every LR question from the “10 More” series, you would have between 1,500 to 1,560 questions to work with (25-26 questions per section, 2 sections per PT, 30 PTs). That is nearly double the total questions you would be doing from the Mastery Book. I understand the Mastery Book is unique in the fact that allows you to practice by question type (which is extremely helpful when working on technique), but what has everyone been doing about all those missing LR questions? Do you guys simply ignore them? Or do you guys go back through the “10 More LSAT” series to work on them? I cannot imagine doing the latter without redoing all the questions completed in the Mastery Book, and to do so would require much more time than the study guide plans for.

jjleague

Postby jjleague » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:48 am

I would have to say to make sure to cover the new tests sooner rather than later. Particularly if you are weak in LR, like me. They are different than the older ones and much more difficult for me.

losangeles2010

LSAt Study Guide

Postby losangeles2010 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:41 am

How do I access LSTAT Study Guide. I plan to take LSAT in June 2010
and currently studying at home, thanks.

abbas123

Postby abbas123 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:06 am

Crazycall2

Postby Crazycall2 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:21 am

huge fan..I'm about 3 months into my own method and have adopted a modified method of this approach for myself. Thank you in advance for the progress which I am confident that I will acheive with the help of this method.

Two things:

First: the most helpful part of this guide for me has thus far been the suggestions of how to review previous PTs..any expansion on that aspect would be extremely helpful.

Second: Photocopying LGs wasn't so hard (especially if you have a photocopier at work), but getting answers to the games that I KNOW are correct is a pain in the ass unless I've also photocopied all of the PT solutions as well. Is there anywhere that I can find a consolidated LG answer sheet? That'd be a huge help.

Thanks again for everything! You're a pioneer!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”