Advice on how to increase my score by just 3 points

Summer33

Advice on how to increase my score by just 3 points

Postby Summer33 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:56 pm

Okay so, I've taken my LSAT a couple times and both times I scored basically the same- 155 and 154. I want to go to Georgia State University for law school since I currently live in Atlanta and can't move. Obviously, my chances for going there right now are pretty slim. I've already applied 3 times. Waitlisted the first and so far have not gotten in. I was thinking if I could take the LSAT again and just increase my score by even 2-3 points I'd have a much better chance. Obviously, I would love to have a 160. I've taken almost all the practice LSATs you can and have mostly been getting 159-160, but unfortunately it hasn't translated into my actual LSAT! It's really aggravating and I don't know why that happens, but anyways I was wondering if you all could give me advice on how to go up just a few points... I believe that's roughly 4 more questions right. Are there any little tricks that anyone knows that can help me get one additional question or two?
This might be a silly question, but I thought I would ask anyone anyways.

Thanks!

lsatrehtard

Re: Advice on how to increase my score by just 3 points

Postby lsatrehtard » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:08 pm

I would say start by first looking back at all your practice tests and figuring out which section is your weakest. From there, do a little extra time improving your ability to perform in that section, while still studying the other two sections diligently. Don't take more than one practice test a week either.

There's a ton of things that factor in to improving your score. You could buy a stop watch and start timing yourself on logical reasoning sections (for example). Do small sections of like 10 questions only giving yourself 12 minutes or somethin.

To get more specific help I think it would help if you identified what your weakpoints are and what you have done in the past to prepare.

Summer33

Postby Summer33 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:14 pm

Okay, so I'm really good at logical games. On my practice tests I usually miss none, but sometimes I do miss 1. I think my weak area would be reading comprehension. That's where I get the least right. Logical reasoning i'm not toooo bad at. That's a good idea though... maybe I should redo the reading comprehension questions from all the lsats I've taken.

Also, what do you guys think are my chances of getting accepted into GSU's part-time program with those numbers?

Eruannon

Postby Eruannon » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:20 pm

Have you tried looking for books on speed reading techniques, or ones specifically targeted at LSAT reading comp? There is a book for practically anything.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:24 pm

You can easily get 15-16 on the games. I'm not sure where you are with them, but if you are usually missing 10+ this strategy might work for you. Go through and identify the best 2 or 3 games (find easy ones, linear or spatial) and spend the entire time on those, christmastreeing the rest. While this tactic will never get you a 180, it might help you get the 160. If you spend that much time on a few easy games, you can manually check all your answer choices, ensuring the 15 or so you complete are correct. If you are good enough, you can skip one game like I did. I skipped one game that was the hardest, got -0 on the others, and guessed 2 of the 5 questions for the game correctly.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:25 pm

Just read that you are good at games. Please ignore me.

Eruannon

Postby Eruannon » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:26 pm

Cupidity wrote:You can easily get 15-16 on the games. I'm not sure where you are with them, but if you are usually missing 10+ this strategy might work for you. Go through and identify the best 2 or 3 games (find easy ones, linear or spatial) and spend the entire time on those, christmastreeing the rest. While this tactic will never get you a 180, it might help you get the 160. If you spend that much time on a few easy games, you can manually check all your answer choices, ensuring the 15 or so you complete are correct. If you are good enough, you can skip one game like I did. I skipped one game that was the hardest, got -0 on the others, and guessed 2 of the 5 questions for the game correctly.

OP is nearly perfect on the LG right now. Is weak on the reading comprehension.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:41 pm

Eruannon wrote:
Cupidity wrote:You can easily get 15-16 on the games. I'm not sure where you are with them, but if you are usually missing 10+ this strategy might work for you. Go through and identify the best 2 or 3 games (find easy ones, linear or spatial) and spend the entire time on those, christmastreeing the rest. While this tactic will never get you a 180, it might help you get the 160. If you spend that much time on a few easy games, you can manually check all your answer choices, ensuring the 15 or so you complete are correct. If you are good enough, you can skip one game like I did. I skipped one game that was the hardest, got -0 on the others, and guessed 2 of the 5 questions for the game correctly.

OP is nearly perfect on the LG right now. Is weak on the reading comprehension.

I've never needed to, but in theory it might work the same for RC??? Skip the passage with the least # of q's and focus on really understanding and verifying the rest. Go for 100% on the 20 you attempt, -6 in every section is about a 164

Eruannon

Postby Eruannon » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:48 pm

I've never tried it either... But it seems like getting 6 wrong on the RC and 0-1 wrong on the LG like the OP says he is getting would give him a damn good score.

Summer33

Postby Summer33 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:50 pm

hmmm... that is a good strategy about going for the passage with the most questions first... also, I know I should do this but I didn't really do it when I was taking the actual lsat, I should probably just skip through and find the reading passages that seem the easiest with the easiest material to read and do those first.

and I'm a she... haha :)

what about for the logical reasoning? I'm decent on that but I could do better.

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:51 pm

Shoot for 180. If you have a goal and you quit as soon as you reach it on practice tests, there's just too much room for error when it comes to the actual test. Read the thread of people who scored over 160 and take their advice. My advice is PowerScore, seeing as for only a month studying it, I gained many more than 4 points. Don't sell yourself short. With a different study method you might gain a lot more points and have a chance for scholarships.

Eruannon

Postby Eruannon » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:54 pm

Summer33 wrote:hmmm... that is a good strategy about going for the passage with the most questions first... also, I know I should do this but I didn't really do it when I was taking the actual lsat, I should probably just skip through and find the reading passages that seem the easiest with the easiest material to read and do those first.

and I'm a she... haha :)

what about for the logical reasoning? I'm decent on that but I could do better.

Sorry about that 8) .

I agree with the poster who said you should shoot for 180, that's what I did, and what I was scoring best with on PT. But this is different for everyone, and it is important to go with whatever method gets you the best scores on your PT, within reason of course... Maybe I'm wrong about this though.

lsatrehtard

Postby lsatrehtard » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:44 pm

All these comments are helpful.

But, if you want to be able to consider shooting for 180 and be realistic, I would recommend that you do the following to improve your RC (this is how I did it). If you have access to enough RC passages, get 8 passages and sit down and do them all. Do this 2 times a week. The rest of the week, just study how you normally would. On the days where you do 8 RC passages, do maybe 20 LR questions at one time (after a break) and then do a couple games. The point is to not stress yourself out and to improve your ability to sit and focus.

Also, speed reading might help, but I would recommend you read for structure to understand the passage. If you can identify the author's point of view, the thesis, the main arguments presented, argumentative techniques/purpose of a certain line used (appealing to authority, counterexample, "to illustrate," to "ancitipate," etc) and others, you'll give yourself a huge advantage. A huge part of succeeding on this portion is knowing the answer to the question basically before you read the options (for most Q's). This also applies to LR.

I'd say keep doing what you're doing to maintain your proficiency on the games, focus on RC, and give a little more effort to LR. whatever you do, don't spend more than 4hrs studying any given day, unless you don't get stressed easily.

lsatrehtard

Postby lsatrehtard » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:46 pm

Summer33 wrote:hmmm... that is a good strategy about going for the passage with the most questions first... also, I know I should do this but I didn't really do it when I was taking the actual lsat, I should probably just skip through and find the reading passages that seem the easiest with the easiest material to read and do those first.

Although this could work, you might find that you'll end up wasting time. In the time it takes you to identify the first passage, you'll have lost a minute or two. Unless you usually complete RC with enough time, I think this strategy could impede your results.

mattymatt

Postby mattymatt » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:51 pm

While I'm certainly no LSAT expert, here is something I did that helped me score more consistently in the higher end of my typical range, even bumped me up a point or two from time to time, and on the actual test.

Rather than stressing about my worst section (where I would typically get 10-15 right, depending) I would make absolutely sure that I had every question as right as it was going to get in the sections I was strongest in. I was consistently only missing two or three in every section except for the logic games, and finishing these sections with time to spare. What I did then, was worked as hard as I could to make sure to squeeze every right question out of the sections that I tended to do better on, rather than the one I did poorly on. Because if you are able to only miss one or two on the majority of sections, it gives you some wiggle room in your weaker sections. While it's not a sure-fire way to raise your score, and it's not the best way to improve overall, if you've found you've hit a wall on certain sections, its a good way to hinge your bets a bit.

Eruannon

Postby Eruannon » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:36 pm

In addition to this no one should underestimate the adrenaline you get on test day. I work well under pressure so the extra stress did wonders for my concentration and speed. If you have trouble with stress learning how to harness it might do you wonders.

Summer33

Postby Summer33 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:29 pm

Thank you guys for all your advice. When I said I would search for the easier RC passages, I meant just briefly looking at the topic. I can usually tell if a passage is going to be harder to read by just looking at the subject and first sentence. I wouldn't read the whole thing, because then I would definitely not finish that section on time. I will start doing a lot more RC passages as practice. Thanks again.

Eruannon

Postby Eruannon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:32 am

Summer33 wrote:Thank you guys for all your advice. When I said I would search for the easier RC passages, I meant just briefly looking at the topic. I can usually tell if a passage is going to be harder to read by just looking at the subject and first sentence. I wouldn't read the whole thing, because then I would definitely not finish that section on time. I will start doing a lot more RC passages as practice. Thanks again.

Good. I think ultimately more practice will be the solution to this. Work hard and smart and it will pay dividends. Good luck!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”