February experimental Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
febstriver

New

February experimental

Post by febstriver » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:42 pm

Hey all,

I'm aware that February is an undisclosed test (the parts of which are used for experimental purposes), but I'm wondering if it, too, has an ungraded, "experimental section", and whether this section follows the ordinary within-the-first-three custom.

Thanks,

febstriver.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Re: February experimental

Post by Vincent Vega » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:44 pm

Yes.

febstriver

New

Post by febstriver » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:45 pm

Halibut6 wrote:Yes.
Thanks. You sound very certain. How do you know for sure, though?

febstriver

New

Post by febstriver » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:03 pm

Just talked to a few other February takers, and it seems as though February does have an experimental too, and that for all of these takers, the experimental occured within the first three.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:06 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:10 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:Supposedly the experimental ALWAYS occurs before the break. I got it as the first section, which disappointed me because I felt I killed that section.
Always one of first three. Mine came third just before the break and it was a savior.

evnyc

New

Post by evnyc » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:13 pm

If the Feb. test is experimental does that mean it's considered to be a harder test in general? I'm retaking after my lousy Dec. score and I don't want this to work against me. And could someone elaborate a little about what it means that Feb. is an "experimental" exam?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:14 pm

evnyc wrote:If the Feb. test is experimental does that mean it's considered to be a harder test in general? I'm retaking after my lousy Dec. score and I don't want this to work against me.
The February test is not experimental. One of the sections is experimental, the same as every other administration. The February test is undisclosed. It is NOT harder than any other administration.

bluejayk

Bronze

Post by bluejayk » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:17 pm

the test is not experimental, one of the sections is. There is no evidence that the February tests are qualitatively different than the other tests. Absolutely zero reason to believe it would be, since that would go against the whole point of a standardized test. There is not one single credible suggestion that it is otherwise. However..

I just have a feeling.. maybe it is different!?!??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

febstriver

New

Post by febstriver » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:20 pm

bluejayk wrote:the test is not experimental, one of the sections is. There is no evidence that the February tests are qualitatively different than the other tests. Absolutely zero reason to believe it would be, since that would go against the whole point of a standardized test. There is not one single credible suggestion that it is otherwise. However..

Thank you for clarifying. My OP suggested it was--but I thought that's why the whole test was undisclosed? Why else would it be?

I agree that the test is objectively the same as other tests (if it is harder, the curve will balance things out) but is it true that February is, overall, a weirder test? As in, some of the question-stems or logic puzzles are remarkable in some way?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:23 pm

febstriver wrote:
bluejayk wrote:the test is not experimental, one of the sections is. There is no evidence that the February tests are qualitatively different than the other tests. Absolutely zero reason to believe it would be, since that would go against the whole point of a standardized test. There is not one single credible suggestion that it is otherwise. However..

Thank you for clarifying. My OP suggested it was--but I thought that's why the whole test was undisclosed? Why else would it be?
They use the undisclosed test for foreign administrations, alternate administrations for Jews, etc. They want to keep some versions of the test secret for the unusual administrations.

jocelyne

Bronze

Post by jocelyne » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:58 am

would it be possible for us to encounter a previous experimental section on a previous test (say, Sept 2009) on this Feb test?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:01 am

jocelyne wrote:would it be possible for us to encounter a previous experimental section on a previous test (say, Sept 2009) on this Feb test?
Yes, I don't see any reason why not.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”