How do you time yourself on test day?

thatsnotmyname

How do you time yourself on test day?

Postby thatsnotmyname » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:08 am

I've been using the timer on my digital watch to pace myself during the practice tests. However, you can only use analog watches at the test center. I just don't feel like an analog watch is nearly as effective because I don't know exactly how much time I have left (and time is a big issue for me, especially on LG). I know this might sound like a stupid question, but does anyone know a more effective way of timing yourself on test day than looking at an analog watch? I really just wish we could use digital timers.

CyLaw

Re: How do you time yourself on test day?

Postby CyLaw » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:11 am

thatsnotmyname wrote:I've been using the timer on my digital watch to pace myself during the practice tests. However, you can only use analog watches at the test center. I just don't feel like an analog watch is nearly as effective because I don't know exactly how much time I have left (and time is a big issue for me, especially on LG). I know this might sound like a stupid question, but does anyone know a more effective way of timing yourself on test day than looking at an analog watch? I really just wish we could use digital timers.

Before each section I set my watch to 11:25, so that 12:00 was the end of the section. I found it pretty effective for timing my test. I would recommend practicing with an analog watch instead of a digital watch, just to get use to it.

jpSartre

Postby jpSartre » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:19 am

CyLaw wrote:
thatsnotmyname wrote:I've been using the timer on my digital watch to pace myself during the practice tests. However, you can only use analog watches at the test center. I just don't feel like an analog watch is nearly as effective because I don't know exactly how much time I have left (and time is a big issue for me, especially on LG). I know this might sound like a stupid question, but does anyone know a more effective way of timing yourself on test day than looking at an analog watch? I really just wish we could use digital timers.

Before each section I set my watch to 11:25, so that 12:00 was the end of the section. I found it pretty effective for timing my test. I would recommend practicing with an analog watch instead of a digital watch, just to get use to it.

Nice.

rocross1

Postby rocross1 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:24 am

I bought some of those 3m sticky tags that you use to hang stuff on the wall with and used one to tag my analog watch to the desk at the lsat test site. I set my watch on noon and then pulled the stop/adjustment out and when the section began I pushed it in and checked it periodicaly obviously at 12:35 time was up and I just repeated this for each section-I asked the administrators and they had no problem with this.

kazu

Postby kazu » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:29 am

same here... I set my watch at 12:00 at the beginning of each section so I knew time was up at 12:35. You should really practice doing this while prepping, though, so you can get used to it.

edit for typo :P
Last edited by kazu on Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:37 am

I did the "set a watch to 12:00" thing. The setting it to 11:25 idea is brilliant, though.

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:01 am

Chrono..

billyez

Postby billyez » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:11 am

..Trigger?

I used both a digital and analog watch during practice tests. What you do is start both at the same time, turn the digital clock away and use the analog clock during the test. At first you can cheat and look at the digital watch a couplfe of times, but you really should get used to only using the analog. Emulate testing conditions and all that.
Last edited by billyez on Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

jpSartre

Postby jpSartre » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:11 am

No es legal. Solomente analogo

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:20 am

PoliticalJunkie wrote:Chrono..

+1, worked well for me.

ZombiesAhead

Postby ZombiesAhead » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:57 am

If you've been using a digital timer, test day will catch you off guard. For me at least, even an analog watch set to 12.00 isn't enough if you're trying to pace yourself into the last minute or so. I'm going chrono for February.
--ImageRemoved--

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:58 am

Hey guys. This might be a strange question, but I just bought a chronograph as I previously did not have an analog watch at all. It has three subdials like the watch diagrammed here: http://www.fossil.com/wcsstore/Fossil/i ... 0-FS00.pdf

The chronograph feature only uses the minutes and seconds subdials and I can reset those to zero. However, I have no idea what this 24-hour subdial is there for because I can't reset it or move it or do anything with it. Is it just there for aesthetics?

I know this post doesn't really have anything to do with the LSAT but not knowing what the last subdial is for is really annoying me.

aether

Postby aether » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:26 pm

billyez wrote:I used both a digital and analog watch during practice tests. What you do is start both at the same time, turn the digital clock away and use the analog clock during the test. At first you can cheat and look at the digital watch a couplfe of times, but you really should get used to only using the analog. Emulate testing conditions and all that.

+1

That's exactly what I did. Set a digital kitchen timer to 35 minutes but turned it away so I couldn't see the countdown; then took the test with the same analog watch I used for the real thing. When the kitchen timer went "ding", I pretended it was saying "put down your pencils". :mrgreen:

This trains you to be ready for the unpredictable LSAT end-of-test timing so you don't get caught with unbubbled questions.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:30 pm

aether wrote:
billyez wrote:I used both a digital and analog watch during practice tests. What you do is start both at the same time, turn the digital clock away and use the analog clock during the test. At first you can cheat and look at the digital watch a couplfe of times, but you really should get used to only using the analog. Emulate testing conditions and all that.

+1

That's exactly what I did. Set a digital kitchen timer to 35 minutes but turned it away so I couldn't see the countdown; then took the test with the same analog watch I used for the real thing. When the kitchen timer went "ding", I pretended it was saying "put down your pencils". :mrgreen:

This trains you to be ready for the unpredictable LSAT end-of-test timing so you don't get caught with unbubbled questions.

+1. I used one of those watches with a second dial on the exterior. We used to call them "scuba diving watches." . I marked the "35" notch in red, and I would turn the "0" of the external dial to where the minute hand was when each section began. Whenever the testing started I just had to look at how close the minute hand was to the red notch on the external dial.

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:41 pm

I did the 11:25 thing during test day... but the proctor at my site kept stealing my watch from me to check the time... very annoying to have to keep explaining to her that it wasn't displaying the actual time and super unprofessional on her part...

Woozy

Postby Woozy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:54 pm

I guess I'm in the minority - I didn't use a watch for the test. I timed myself during PTs, but once I had a feel for the pace I needed I found that not knowing how much time was left made me work faster and stay focused. Having the fear that time could be up at any second from question 5 onward lit a fire under me. Maybe it won't work that way for you, but try it out during a PT or two and see what happens.

cdnguy

Postby cdnguy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:36 pm

i was lucky enough to have a digital clock in the room.

monkeymm

Postby monkeymm » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:00 pm

can we use Ana-Digi Dual Time Watch at a test?

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:25 pm

monkeymm wrote:can we use Ana-Digi Dual Time Watch at a test?

No just get a chronograph watch

monkeymm

Postby monkeymm » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:52 pm

ogman05 wrote:

No just get a chronograph watch

this one looks pretty cool. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... R&v=glance

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:08 pm

If it has any digital screen on it, you can not use it.

trutherd

Postby trutherd » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:36 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I did the "set a watch to 12:00" thing. The setting it to 11:25 idea is brilliant, though.

I'll do you one better: start it at 6:00, then at 6:30 you have a 5 minute warning AND you get a final warning that's easy to see at a glance when the hands cross each other 8)

I've been prepping for way too long now...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”