Take LSAT One Last Time? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
valley splitter

Bronze

Take LSAT One Last Time?

Post by valley splitter » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:47 pm

I've already been accepted to some schools I would be glad to attend and received scholarship money as well. Since I decided to pursue law about two years ago Northwestern has been my dream school. I scored a 163 on the September LSAT and I am wondering if I should bother taking the test one last time in February with the hope of getting a 170. I have absolutely nothing to do right now so I could bust my ass off and just do logic games all day (I didn't really prep that hard for them and with a few more correct answers I am sure I could get a 170). Should I do this? I'm already late for registration so it would be another $200 which I don't really care about considering the potential benefits. I have less than one year work experience, kick ass letters of recommendation, and a specific and great interest in Northwestern.

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Re: Take LSAT One Last Time?

Post by Space_Cowboy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:50 pm

If you have only one shot left. Make it count. No sense blowing your last try in a month if you can't give it your best.

Northwestern Class of 2014 >>> Lower T1 Class of 2013

valley splitter

Bronze

Post by valley splitter » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Space_Cowboy wrote:If you have only one shot left. Make it count. No sense blowing your last try in a month if you can't give it your best.

Well I'm planning on starting law school this year. I can't put this off any longer. I've traveled, drank, and screwed for far too long. I have no problems with the other sections so I would just study for logic games. What I'm asking is is this worth it? I still have other apps pending and don't want to get delayed further. Would I have any shot at the school with < 1 year work experience and a 170?

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Post by Space_Cowboy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:05 am

valley splitter wrote:
Space_Cowboy wrote:If you have only one shot left. Make it count. No sense blowing your last try in a month if you can't give it your best.

Well I'm planning on starting law school this year. I can't put this off any longer. I've traveled, drank, and screwed for far too long. I have no problems with the other sections so I would just study for logic games. What I'm asking is is this worth it? I still have other apps pending and don't want to get delayed further. Would I have any shot at the school with < 1 year work experience and a 170?
yes.

Woozy

Bronze

Post by Woozy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:25 am

163 -> 170 is about 10 more correct answers. If you really went -10 on LG of course you should retake, and of course you should probably wait a year too. I assume from your name that you have a low GPA. Bad GPA with no work experience even with a 170 will not cut it at Northwestern, especially late in the cycle. If you really want Northwestern, work a bit, get a higher LSAT, and apply next year - your chances will be much better.

Clearly you don't want to wait a year, but I really don't see you getting into Northwestern otherwise.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

valley splitter

Bronze

Post by valley splitter » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:51 am

Woozy wrote:163 -> 170 is about 10 more correct answers. If you really went -10 on LG of course you should retake, and of course you should probably wait a year too. I assume from your name that you have a low GPA. Bad GPA with no work experience even with a 170 will not cut it at Northwestern, especially late in the cycle. If you really want Northwestern, work a bit, get a higher LSAT, and apply next year - your chances will be much better.

Clearly you don't want to wait a year, but I really don't see you getting into Northwestern otherwise.
Yeah, I know it's a real long shot. I was looking at LSN (http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/) and saw three people accepted with sub 3 gpa's, someone as low as 2.1 apparently. I'm at 2.7 with a semester left and a 3.5 degree gpa (which I know isn't taken into consideration but it shows up on the report). I've had a huge upward trend in grades, too. I would probably fly out to Chicago in the next week or so to interview as well.
Last edited by valley splitter on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

jpSartre

Bronze

Post by jpSartre » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:52 am

Don't take the test in February. If you want Northwestern you need the work experience...

2% of the entering class of 2009 had less than 1 year of work experience. That leaves 98% with 1+, with 84% at 2 or more. The median LSAT is 170. Your score has got to be higher than that if you do take in February, considering you're going to be competing with 175+s/4.0s with <1 yr for 5 or 6 seats (entering class last year was 272 *.02).

February would be pointless I think. If you want NW, wait a year or two. Otherwise take the money and run man. Get your career movin I'd say.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/profile/

valley splitter

Bronze

Post by valley splitter » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:02 am

jpSartre wrote:Don't take the test in February. If you want Northwestern you need the work experience...

2% of the entering class of 2009 had less than 1 year of work experience. That leaves 98% with 1+, with 84% at 2 or more. The median LSAT is 170. Your score has got to be higher than that if you do take in February, considering you're going to be competing with 175+s/4.0s with <1 yr for 5 or 6 seats (entering class last year was 272 *.02).

February would be pointless I think. If you want NW, wait a year or two. Otherwise take the money and run man. Get your career movin I'd say.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/profile/
I'm debating this. Worst case scenario I think would be to score higher or as close to 170 as possible, not get in, but get some more money at my other schools. There is definitely a lot of competition for those few seats. I had a professor once say you'll never know unless you go for it. Tough decision. What if, for some unknown reason, I scored lower? Would that hurt my other applications or any of my acceptances?

Woozy

Bronze

Post by Woozy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:11 am

valley splitter wrote:
Woozy wrote:163 -> 170 is about 10 more correct answers. If you really went -10 on LG of course you should retake, and of course you should probably wait a year too. I assume from your name that you have a low GPA. Bad GPA with no work experience even with a 170 will not cut it at Northwestern, especially late in the cycle. If you really want Northwestern, work a bit, get a higher LSAT, and apply next year - your chances will be much better.

Yeah, I know it's a real long shot. I was looking at LSN (http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/) and saw three people accepted with sub 3 gpa's, someone as low as 2.1 apparently. I'm at 2.7 with a semester left and a 3.5 degree gpa (which I know isn't taken into consideration but it shows up on the report). I've had a huge upward trend in grades, too. I would probably fly out to Chicago in the next week or so to interview as well.
Those guys all went ED and had work experience.

You have a shot if you get your 170+ and have work experience and apply early next year.

In the absence of even one of those factors you are very likely sunk.

You just have to figure out how badly you want NU, and plan accordingly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:38 am

I'll also throw in my two cents and echo what others have already said - if you want NW, you need more work experience. With your GPA, you are also going to need much higher than a 170 LSAT, I think. Probably something like a 172-174. That is a HUGE jump from 163 (if you didn't know, every point on the LSAT becomes harder and harder to pick up as you score higher and higher).

Like others said, if you have your heart set on NW, hold off for a year, get some work experience under your belt, study your ass off for the LSAT and shoot for ED next cycle.

You could also try the transfer route... according to Arrow's transfer thread, NW states they accept around 20 transfers a year (however LSN suggests the number is larger). Transferring, of course, is incredibly difficult and probably is not something anyone should "plan" on.

valley splitter

Bronze

Post by valley splitter » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:27 am

traehekat wrote:I'll also throw in my two cents and echo what others have already said - if you want NW, you need more work experience. With your GPA, you are also going to need much higher than a 170 LSAT, I think. Probably something like a 172-174. That is a HUGE jump from 163 (if you didn't know, every point on the LSAT becomes harder and harder to pick up as you score higher and higher).

Like others said, if you have your heart set on NW, hold off for a year, get some work experience under your belt, study your ass off for the LSAT and shoot for ED next cycle.

You could also try the transfer route... according to Arrow's transfer thread, NW states they accept around 20 transfers a year (however LSN suggests the number is larger). Transferring, of course, is incredibly difficult and probably is not something anyone should "plan" on.
Thanks I appreciate the advice. Northwestern is my dream school but it's not like I need to go there. I would very much like to but I've gotten acceptances at other good schools. I plan on practicing in CA and I've gotten into some good schools that place well here. Transferring is always an option but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I think I was just looking for persuasion to try and go for it. I think I might take the LSAT again just to see how I do. I believe I can improve on the 163 by practicing more for the logic games. I can probably get some more money out of it and maybe get some more acceptances.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”