LSAT to GMAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
run4run

New

LSAT to GMAT

Post by run4run » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:15 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm just planning on using LSAT study material to study for the GMAT. I have 10 LSAT practice tests and I was planning on doing the CR's and RC's as added practice. 2 Questions:

1) Are there any differences or questions I should avoid between the two (besides the paper vs computer thing and the difficulty)

2) Is there any where I can get explanations on the tests? I have Prep Tests 29-38 or "The Next 10 Actual Official LSAT PrepTest"

Thanks so much,

Run

mhernton

Bronze

Re: LSAT to GMAT

Post by mhernton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:19 pm

Having taken both tests, this seems to be a recipe for failure, good luck though, I hope it works out...

Neelio

Silver

Post by Neelio » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:20 pm

Nooooo! Don't do it... my girlfriend tried that and it wasn't a very pretty process. Make an investment in legit GMAt study material. It will pay off ten-fold!!

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:23 pm

I've never taken the GMAT, but this sounds like a epically bad idea.

tikiman6

Bronze

Post by tikiman6 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:11 pm

Yeah, I don't even see the logic here. I mean yeah the GMAT reading section is for fourth graders, but still you might as well study the fourth grade material and get better at it. Why do you think that pure logical reasoning will help you learn scientific factoids?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lolercoasterrr

New

Post by lolercoasterrr » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:02 pm

I studied for the LSAT for two months and decided to take the GMAT instead. I'm working in consulting so a good number of people on to both law and business school. I still haven't decided whether I want to take the LSAT, but I did well on my GMAT (760) thanks in part to LSAT material.

I highly suggest using the LR Bible and Kaplan mastery for GMAT. Yes, you can also use the Powerscore GMAT CR bible, but it's the exact same thing, and often times there are even typos where the authors mean GMAT but forgot to replace LSAT. Make sure to skip the formal logic stuff, but the techniques like assumption negation work wonders on the GMAT. I also practiced on official LSAT RC passages, so when I did the actual GMAT passages they were a piece of cake.

Of course you'll need to skip LG completely, but the LSAT LR section is almost identical to the GMAT CR section, and the LSAT RC section will be good practice for the easier GMAT RC.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:54 pm

That sounds silly. Why not just use the official materials from GMAC? There are three books of real GMAT questions, plus PowerPrep software. No need to dive into LSAT until you're coming near exhausting those.

If you do want to use LSAT stuff, bear in mind that the LR and the RC are similar but not identical. You get almost twice as much time for those as LSAT test-takers do. You don't have worry nearly as much about certain question types on the LR, because the GMAT's Critical Reasoning is a much more narrow set of question types (mostly Strengthen, Weaken, Assumption, Inference, Resolve/Explain, and what I'd call Reasoning — questions that ask about the role of a statement or the structure of the reasoning). Flaw questions are starting to show up on the GMAT, and there's a chance you could see a Parallel, but you don't really see Principle questions, IIRC.

Plus there's, like, math and grammar on the GMAT. And no logic games.

run4run

New

Post by run4run » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:10 am

thanks for all the advice,

I was just planning on using it as a supplement just for the RC, I heard LSATs were harder so this was a good way to brush up.

Best,

Run

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”