What is the Best & Worst Breakfast on Test Day?

cubswin

Re: What is the Best & Worst Breakfast on Test Day?

Postby cubswin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:38 pm

I normally drink a lot of coffee in the morning, so I went with 2 cups of coffee, a bowl of oatmeal, and a fruit smoothie.

Then, to compensate for my lower-than-usual caffeine intake, I brought a Starbucks Doubleshot Espresso for the break. I was delighted to have done this when RC came up as my 4th section.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:41 pm

Caffeine pill, Tylenol and peptobismal.

Not having to take a shit during the Lsat + the mental stimulation of caffeine more than makes up for whatever slight gain eating does.

UTexas

Postby UTexas » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:49 pm

I made sure I was completely hydrated the day before, because I wanted to minimize liquid intake the morning of the test. I'm not a regular coffee-drinker, so that wasn't hard. Took several swigs of Pepto the night before and morning of the test to minimize any GI difficulties.

For breakfast, I cooked myself two medium-sized breakfast tacos with just egg and onion. I also had one yogurt, an apple, and a banana, and I drank about half a glass of water.

During the break, I had a banana, an apple, and one and a half protein bars.

southernboy

Postby southernboy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:00 pm

I'd probably try to stay away from hard liquor before the test. Save it for the 15 minute break (It does wonders to liven up your mood after three mind numbing sections). Just pour some whiskey into a water bottle and tell the proctor that its sweet tea.

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:23 pm

macdonalds sausage breakfast burrito worked for me.

Ate a granola bar on the break, laughed when I went to drain my lizard and there was a line 5 deep to take a shit. Was glad I didn't drink too much coffee.

BTW This was at a school in Utah where no one drinks coffee, I felt like a sinner carrying around a coffee cup.

aether

Postby aether » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:22 pm

--LinkRemoved--

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:25 pm

Bananas ftw

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:30 pm

In September I took the test on approx 5 hours sleep and had an 1 1/2 hour drive to testing center. I drank 3 or so cups of coffee during the drive...ate oatmeal for breakfast. Had apple 10 minutes before test with 2 excedrin . Clifbar and 2 more excedrin at break plus water. Felt great/focused the whole time. You've gotta keep you're blood sugar constant and caffeine levels at normal level for you, in my opinion anyway. 175 in the end was 3 pts or so above average.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:37 pm

I woke up at 5am to avoid the coffee+pee situation. I drove to dunkin donuts, got a bagel + cream cheese and a big coffee, and sat in my room doing a few problems from each section to get my brain jogged, and then read some news, stopping to pee whenever I had the slightest urge. Then I left to the test center early and peed anything remaining in my bladder out. I was wide awake for the exam and felt great. Matched my highest PT score on test day.

Eating = i get sleepy, so I just relaxed during the break and walked around the hallways to get the blood flowing.

You know your body best, so do whatever works for you.

nahgems

Postby nahgems » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:41 pm

peanut M&Ms.

thwalls

Postby thwalls » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:41 pm

3 cups of Sanka and bread fried in fatback or lard, whichever goes down smoother.

DukeHopeful

Postby DukeHopeful » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:47 pm

UTexas wrote:During the break, I had a banana, an apple, and one and a half protein bars.

You had all that during break? I don't even feel like I would have had time to eat that much even doing nothing else but eat the whole time haha.

To answer OP's post, I like eggs and an english muffin before testing. Also, 5 hour energy is so much better than coffee. Much more alert and only 2oz, nothing to fill your bladder.

UTexas

Postby UTexas » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:53 pm

DukeHopeful wrote:
UTexas wrote:During the break, I had a banana, an apple, and one and a half protein bars.

You had all that during break? I don't even feel like I would have had time to eat that much even doing nothing else but eat the whole time haha.

To answer OP's post, I like eggs and an english muffin before testing. Also, 5 hour energy is so much better than coffee. Much more alert and only 2oz, nothing to fill your bladder.

Oh, I was eating like a starving bear. I'm sure I scared a few people.

jc1988

Postby jc1988 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:15 pm

home-made food by mom.

score: 172

latinolaw

Postby latinolaw » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Whatever left-overs you can find in the fridge and 3-4 Redbulls.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:50 pm

You may feel this one creeping back up on you around the beginning of the 3rd section:

--ImageRemoved--

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:55 pm

Sugar-water+vitamins

before you laugh at this here is the science:

your memory and cognitive skills actually function better when you are hungry, it is an evolutionary device along the lines of "oh fuck, where did I see that berry-bush". In the short term, say 2-3 days, all your brain needs to function is glucose and water. Now I wouldn't recommend this on test day without some prior experimentation, but I basically live on sugar-water and vitamins for 3-4 days worth of finals week every semester and it seems to pay off in my GPA. Take a PT really hungry and check your score, I think you may see results.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:01 pm

Worst is definitely 3 dirty martinis chased with kahlua.

rw2264

Postby rw2264 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:02 pm

a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat and a bowl of honey bunches of oats (breakfast of champions). 1/3 of a cup of coffee which is all i can handle (and i crashed and almost fell asleep during section 5). brought another peanut butter sandwich with me to the test.

glacierfrost

Postby glacierfrost » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:34 pm

holydonkey wrote:
kazu wrote:
holydonkey wrote:Any other day:

Granola bar = worst. IHOP = best

I heart IHOP. Unfortunately they seem to have no intention of entering the Asian market.

Yeah breakfast in Asia just doesn't cut it. mantou or baozi does not come close to giant stacks of chocolate pancakes with eggs and sausage. European /North American breakfasts ftw!

Uhhh I am gonna have to disagree with you there. Breakfast in Asia specifically China and Taiwan rule.

je_ne_regrette_rien

Postby je_ne_regrette_rien » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:41 pm

Wowwww. I cannot have any coffee... or else I will need to pee 3 times/section.

Also, my heart is already racing on test day; I don't need the caffeine to make me feel like I'm having a heart attack.

je_ne_regrette_rien

Postby je_ne_regrette_rien » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:44 pm

Cupidity wrote:Sugar-water+vitamins

before you laugh at this here is the science:

your memory and cognitive skills actually function better when you are hungry, it is an evolutionary device along the lines of "oh fuck, where did I see that berry-bush". In the short term, say 2-3 days, all your brain needs to function is glucose and water. Now I wouldn't recommend this on test day without some prior experimentation, but I basically live on sugar-water and vitamins for 3-4 days worth of finals week every semester and it seems to pay off in my GPA. Take a PT really hungry and check your score, I think you may see results.

I must have a weird body. I already have a pretty fast metabolism but... if I am hungry, I cannot study... at all. I need a small meal every 4 hours. It's like clockwork.

I knew a girl who was a major procrastinator and when she had to finally write a paper, she would not eat that night until she finished it. Her papers sucked, by the way.

(Edit: As for the hungry PT experiment... I remember taking a PT when I was really hungry. I only finished 2 sections before running to the kitchen. And the two sections I did were awful. lol. If my blood sugar is low, nothing good comes out of this brain.)
Last edited by je_ne_regrette_rien on Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

itsfine

Postby itsfine » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:46 pm

cottage cheese and fruit if u like it. cottage cheese contains casein protein which is very slow digestingg....therefore you will get a steady drip of amino acids for about 6 hours after you eat it....very important for brain health...look it up....its science.

itsfine

Postby itsfine » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:48 pm

and i would NOT eat things like sugary cereals or pancakes and syrup bc simple sugars such as these sugars (besides fructose) will cause a very quick spike in your insulin levels and this is not something you want to do before you take a test...it induces 'sleeepiness'

je_ne_regrette_rien

Postby je_ne_regrette_rien » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:55 pm

I eat tons of fish and soybeans the week before. Not sure if it does anything, but they taste good. ;-)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”