Does the LGB over classify?

poo

Does the LGB over classify?

Postby poo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:58 am

I am just beginning to study and have heard from some that the LGB over classifies the games (eg there is not a big difference between the different type of basic linear games). I am not sure if it is solid advice to categorize broader so I just wanted to get some advice from people who have already taken the test.

Also, if the best way to study is to exactly follow the LGB, does anyone have a list of the games categorized by all the types in the LGB (instead of by date)?

Thanks!

skip james

Re: Does the LGB over classify?

Postby skip james » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:37 am

yup. and i also only liked their basic linear games strategy, nothing else.

jpSartre

Postby jpSartre » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:26 am

I think grouping games are well classified. What kinda strategy do you use for those james?

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:53 am

poo wrote:I am just beginning to study and have heard from some that the LGB over classifies the games (eg there is not a big difference between the different type of basic linear games). I am not sure if it is solid advice to categorize broader so I just wanted to get some advice from people who have already taken the test.

Also, if the best way to study is to exactly follow the LGB, does anyone have a list of the games categorized by all the types in the LGB (instead of by date)?

Thanks!

This is not the best way to study. The LGB is an excellent guide when starting out logic games, but you'll need to adapt it to your own method as well. Last couple of tests have had a game that read like it was meant to intentionally mess up people who adhere strictly to the LGB. Once you're completely comfortable with games, you won't need to 'classify' a game before you start, you'll just know what to do.

UTexas

Postby UTexas » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:31 pm

Yes.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:39 pm

I would agree with you. Over-classifying probably makes it easier to organize the info and sell books. It also makes their books substantially longer than their rivals (at least TPR and Kaplan) and gives you the impresison that the material is exhaustive.

pattymac

Postby pattymac » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:02 pm

I'm going through it now, I agree though, I thought the "linear/grouping" combo was nothing more than an overloaded advanced linear game.

Cambridge LSAT

Postby Cambridge LSAT » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:52 pm

We're in the midst of categorizing games in a more intuitive way. We'd love to hear suggestions from you guys regarding how you'd like them classified. Thanks.

ZombiesAhead

Postby ZombiesAhead » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:07 pm

If you think LGB overclassifies, take a look at lsatblog.blogspot.com (http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/ls ... -list.html). This system actually seems a little better than PS.

I don't think LGB overclassifies but I don't like the system very well. The major categories of "linear" and "grouping" are pretty good but beyond that it doesn't do much for me.

chewdak

Postby chewdak » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:09 pm

People do get obsessed with certain classification schemes. Not per se the games, but people have insisted that a particular credited answer is wrong because the question falls within a specific rubric, and as such the answer makes no sense.

febstriver

Postby febstriver » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:18 pm

lawduder wrote:
poo wrote:I am just beginning to study and have heard from some that the LGB over classifies the games (eg there is not a big difference between the different type of basic linear games). I am not sure if it is solid advice to categorize broader so I just wanted to get some advice from people who have already taken the test.

Thanks!

This is not the best way to study. The LGB is an excellent guide when starting out logic games, but you'll need to adapt it to your own method as well. Last couple of tests have had a game that read like it was meant to intentionally mess up people who adhere strictly to the LGB. Once you're completely comfortable with games, you won't need to 'classify' a game before you start, you'll just know what to do.

titcr.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:18 pm

The LGB doesn't classify enough.

abbas123

Postby abbas123 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:49 pm

JazzOne wrote:The LGB doesn't classify enough.

lol what do you think it should classify more?!

noelleF

Postby noelleF » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:52 pm

i think so. there are wayyy too many grouping classifications...do not get those at all. They make me even more confused than not classifying grouping games at all! i like the classification here: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/lo ... types.html

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”