weekend course for high scorer? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
somewhatwayward

Silver

weekend course for high scorer?

Post by somewhatwayward » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:00 am

i got a 171 on the september LSAT with my own prep, which was about fifteen prep tests and half the powerscore logic games bible. i am going to retake in february bc i think i can do better with better preparation.

i am wondering if anyone has had success with powerscore or testmaster's weekend LSAT prep classes (or is it just too short to help?), especially people with pretty high diagnostic scores.

booboo

Silver

Re: weekend course for high scorer?

Post by booboo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:19 am

I would not recommend this course of action.

You just need a stricter regimen of LSAT preparation. There are many threads in this forum that talk about finding and attacking your weaknesses, and suggestions for study plans. I suggest you go through them and see if you can design an encompassing program for yourself.

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:42 am

I highly doubt the course will teach you anything you don't already know. Go spend the time and money on more PTs and do as many as you can. I know some people who do 50+.

Take them in the library surrounded by strangers and give yourself 32min per section. Time yourself strictly and be honest. Take PTs in the morning, at 9am or so.

Which section are you having the hardest time with?

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:58 am

^
well, it's pretty even. on the sept test it was -3 LR, RC, and LG. technically LR was better, i know, but that was something i struggled with during PTs. i think i should be able to get -0 on LG. i def did on PTs. i'm not sure doing more PTs (without targeted studying) would be that helpful. i think i need to study specific strategies.

^^
if i did the LG bible and the LR bible on my own, would that be enough studying? i took a peak at the RC bible in august, and i felt it made things harder than the way i did it naturally.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:24 pm

It is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that a weekend course will help someone in your score range.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:26 pm

Weekend courses are just to cover the basics and then launch you into your own studying. A weekend course is sort of a substitute for reading books of technique, though it's a somewhat superficial treatment; it's not a substitute for studying on your own.

So no matter what, you'll need to do a lot of work after a weekend course. Depending on which one you take, you might get a bunch of usable materials, though. TPR weekend courses give you all the TPR materials, which includes all the released PTs. I don't know whether other companies do the same.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:37 pm

what's TPR?

i procrastinated with studying bc i couldn't decide whether to take it or not (i'm still not registered, actually...), which was stupid.

how long does it take to get through the bibles on average?

has anyone actually gone to one of these weekend preps?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”