Curious response by Dean of Irvine?

Xizenta

Curious response by Dean of Irvine?

Postby Xizenta » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:09 am

TLS: How does UCI regard applicants with multiple LSAT scores?

We take the higher score in cases where an applicant has taken the LSAT more than once. I actually strongly discourage applicants from retaking the test, unless the conditions under which the first test was taken were somehow remarkable (the person was sick, had just gone through some personal trauma, had not taken a prep course at all, etc.). After having read thousands and thousands of applicant files, I can say with confidence that only a handful actually are able to improve their scores significantly, say increasing them by 10 or more points.

It seems to me that she believes only an increase of 10 or more points is significant. That is ridiculous. Even 4 points is significant. :roll:

I think that she probably does not realize how the percentiles break down for the LSAT and how big of a deal "10 or more points" really is.

Jockin Jay-Z

Re: Curious response by Dean of Irvine?

Postby Jockin Jay-Z » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:17 am

Yes, 4 points is significant. That said, expectations of 10, or even 20 point gains, if you study hard/well enough are overblown here at TLS. Sure, it happens, but nowhere nearly as often as people here would make it seem.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:26 pm

Well, look at the LSAC retake chart. The average person makes a jump of 2-3 points between the 150-170 original test range. In one sense, I'm tempted to retake my 166 to get their projected 168.5 and get into Cornell, but Chemerinsky is being quite ridiculous with saying a 10-point jump is simply significant - it's monumental! That's the difference between going to New Mexico and going to Virginia or Cornell.

Xizenta

Postby Xizenta » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:54 pm

nobody else thinks this is a little bit funny? :lol:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”