First LSAT in February, any way I can apply for Fall 2010?

cafleen

First LSAT in February, any way I can apply for Fall 2010?

Postby cafleen » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:20 am

Excuse my ignorance but to give you a little background on me-- I graduated May 2009 with a Psychology B.S. and Pre-Medicine Preparation. I took my MCATs and have been focused on getting into Med School.

However, I took a practice LSAT literally yesterday and did well, especially considering I was sitting in bed for the majority of it. It was my first LSAT I'd ever taken and I'd obviously never studied for it before. I studied for a few months for my MCAT and in comparison, didn't do even close to as well as I did on the LSAT I just took.

Anyway, after some soul searching and reflection, I realized that I'd probably do better and be happier in law school. Luckily, today was the last day for registration for the February LSAT so I jumped on it and registered.

My question is, is it too late to apply to law schools for entrance in Fall 2010? Most schools deadlines are March 1, so I know I can get my application in by then. I'm just wondering if it's a dumb decision to try to apply to law school so last minute-- does it reflect poorly on me and/or does it give me less of a chance to get into a good law school?

Pearalegal

Re: First LSAT in February, any way I can apply for Fall 2010?

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:22 am

Um, you can't really do a lot of soul searching in one day. You are in no way prepared to abandon a career path you've been focused on for years after taking a practice test yesterday.

ps494

Postby ps494 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:23 am

cafleen wrote:Excuse my ignorance but to give you a little background on me-- I graduated May 2009 with a Psychology B.S. and Pre-Medicine Preparation. I took my MCATs and have been focused on getting into Med School.

However, I took a practice LSAT literally yesterday and did well, especially considering I was sitting in bed for the majority of it. It was my first LSAT I'd ever taken and I'd obviously never studied for it before. I studied for a few months for my MCAT and in comparison, didn't do even close to as well as I did on the LSAT I just took.

Anyway, after some soul searching and reflection, I realized that I'd probably do better and be happier in law school. Luckily, today was the last day for registration for the February LSAT so I jumped on it and registered.

My question is, is it too late to apply to law schools for entrance in Fall 2010? Most schools deadlines are March 1, so I know I can get my application in by then. I'm just wondering if it's a dumb decision to try to apply to law school so last minute-- does it reflect poorly on me and/or does it give me less of a chance to get into a good law school?

Not too late, but you will be at a disadvantage, because most school practice rolling admissions. You need to actually study for this test to reach your potential. Then apply next cycle.

tristanlxboyd

Postby tristanlxboyd » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:26 am

You registered for the LSAT. Don't let it take away from your other endeavours, but practice for it and write a couple of Personal statements. Request Letters of Recommendation and register for LSDAS, get transcripts sent in. Take the test, and at that point ask yourself if you want to pony up half a grand or so to pay application fees. If you do, then do it, see where you get. If not, and you still want to go to Law School, don't go to med school, get a cool job with the intent of supporting yourself and looking good on apps, and enrich your application.

Your options will undoubtedly be limited based on how late you're applying, but take the first few steps now and then in a month see where you stand, because right now you can't lose time trying to decide. You can after you've got the ball rolling.

My .02

vespertiliovir

Postby vespertiliovir » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:27 am

If you really think law is for you, sign up for the June administration of the LSAT and apply during the 10-11 cycle. You will have much more time to prepare, complete your application, and decide if law school is really what you want.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”