Burning out on LSAT prep Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jason8821

Bronze

Burning out on LSAT prep

Post by jason8821 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:11 am

After studying for nearly 200 hours on the LSAT for 2.5 months, I understand how to approach almost any question any my ability to comprehend why I miss answers is way better than when I began. None the less, I find that I miss/look over a lot of obvious answer choices in practice just because I want to get the problem done fast.

I think i'm burning out.

Has anyone taken like a two week break and came back with better results?

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Re: Burning out on LSAT prep

Post by vespertiliovir » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:18 am

This is a bit different, but I took about a month off in total after the June test -- about 1.5-2 weeks after I received my score. Even after restarting my prep, I took a much more relaxed approach to studying. I found that I performed much better with a less exhaustive regimen.

jason8821

Bronze

Post by jason8821 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:32 am

vespertiliovir wrote:This is a bit different, but I took about a month off in total after the June test -- about 1.5-2 weeks after I received my score. Even after restarting my prep, I took a much more relaxed approach to studying. I found that I performed much better with a less exhaustive regimen.
How much did you study before you took the first exam? I'm thinking it may be helpful to just study endlessly until I hate the test, and cannot even look at a problem, and then take 1-2 months off altogether, and start with a more relaxed regimen of just 5-6 hours/week and one practice test until the June.

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:36 am

you've been studying too long. stop. pick it up a month before the test.

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:41 am

jason8821 wrote:How much did you study before you took the first exam?
I was taking a test a day the 3 weeks leading up to the test, which was just too much (for me at least) in retrospect.
jaxon8821 wrote:I'm thinking it may be helpful to just study endlessly until I hate the test, and cannot even look at a problem, and then take 1-2 months off altogether, and start with a more relaxed regimen of just 5-6 hours/week and one practice test until the June.
I personally think it'd be better to avoid burn out altogether -- it'd be hard for me to get back into something like LSAT prep after coming to just despise it. Fortunately I had my lower-than-desired June score to motivate me, but without it I think I would have just quit for good.
But you know yourself better than anyone. Do whatever you think will benefit you the most

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:42 am

jason8821 wrote:After studying for nearly 200 hours on the LSAT for 2.5 months, I understand how to approach almost any question any my ability to comprehend why I miss answers is way better than when I began. None the less, I find that I miss/look over a lot of obvious answer choices in practice just because I want to get the problem done fast.

I think i'm burning out.

three weeks before my LSAT, I took a week off and went on vacation and never looked at LSAT once during it. I studied minimally (maybe 5 total hours + 1 PT on the weekend) the week following, and I studied twice the week of, two hours each time. I also woke up at 5am the day of the exam and did a few untimed problems from each section to jog my brain. I didn't get a 170, but I matched my highest PT score (165) and was very satisfied. I would have probably studied more those weeks, though, if I wasn't working 50 hour weeks...

At any rate, my opinion is that the answer to your question is yes. Anecdotally speaking, a break helped me be relaxed and focused for test day.

UTexas

New

Post by UTexas » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:34 am

Listen to your brain. Take a few weeks off. Avoid burnout at all costs. You're not gaining anything by clumsily plowing ahead.

ZombiesAhead

New

Post by ZombiesAhead » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:26 am

jason8821 wrote:After studying for nearly 200 hours on the LSAT for 2.5 months, I understand how to approach almost any question any my ability to comprehend why I miss answers is way better than when I began.
1. That's less than 20 hours per week. That doesn't sound all that bad to me if it's something you want to be doing. Many people work crap jobs (or awesome super stressful jobs, depending on what analogy you want to use) well over 50 hours per week. You'll be wishing you were living the 20 hour/week academic life.
None the less, I find that I miss/look over a lot of obvious answer choices in practice just because I want to get the problem done fast.
2. Sounds like you don't want it very bad anymore. You've got two options here.
I think i'm burning out.
3. Never heard this thing you call "burn out" before visiting this forum. See #1. Try building rock/boulder walls by hand 50 hours a week for a few months at a sub-living wage. Or if physical exertion isn't your thing, maybe work some shit retail or food service jobs full time. That's burnout.

Some of us here have to deal with real life, jobs, money, family, etc while we try to study for this test. However, many/most TLSers seem to have the financial means to dedicate a TON of time...which is good. However, remember that most people who live real lives are at a major disadvantage. If you can spend 200 hours studying for LSAT, count yourself as lucky. Many people could never imagine this luxury.

jason8821

Bronze

Post by jason8821 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:15 pm

ZombiesAhead wrote:
jason8821 wrote:After studying for nearly 200 hours on the LSAT for 2.5 months, I understand how to approach almost any question any my ability to comprehend why I miss answers is way better than when I began.
1. That's less than 20 hours per week. That doesn't sound all that bad to me if it's something you want to be doing. Many people work crap jobs (or awesome super stressful jobs, depending on what analogy you want to use) well over 50 hours per week. You'll be wishing you were living the 20 hour/week academic life.
None the less, I find that I miss/look over a lot of obvious answer choices in practice just because I want to get the problem done fast.
I have actually done many of the things you mentioned above including spending long hours in the cold pumping gas, and working the 8:00 PM-4:00 A.M at a steel mill 5-6 days/week. You make some pretty heavy assumptions there for not knowing a damn thing about me. Also, to say that my level enthusiasm has slightly dropped is not the same as saying i don't want it.

2. Sounds like you don't want it very bad anymore. You've got two options here.
I think i'm burning out.
3. Never heard this thing you call "burn out" before visiting this forum. See #1. Try building rock/boulder walls by hand 50 hours a week for a few months at a sub-living wage. Or if physical exertion isn't your thing, maybe work some shit retail or food service jobs full time. That's burnout.

Some of us here have to deal with real life, jobs, money, family, etc while we try to study for this test. However, many/most TLSers seem to have the financial means to dedicate a TON of time...which is good. However, remember that most people who live real lives are at a major disadvantage. If you can spend 200 hours studying for LSAT, count yourself as lucky. Many people could never imagine this luxury.

LawLucy

Bronze

Post by LawLucy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:19 pm

jason8821 wrote:After studying for nearly 200 hours on the LSAT for 2.5 months, I understand how to approach almost any question any my ability to comprehend why I miss answers is way better than when I began. None the less, I find that I miss/look over a lot of obvious answer choices in practice just because I want to get the problem done fast.

I think i'm burning out.

I just took the entire month of December off because I had hit a wall as well. Just began organizing everything to begin tackling it again. I feel mentally refreshed.
Good Luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”