Should I take the LSAT in February? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Should I take the LSAT in February?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 9

ConsideringLawSchool

Bronze

Should I take the LSAT in February?

Post by ConsideringLawSchool » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:34 pm

Today is the last day to register.

Thanks for any advice... appreciate it.

Edit: In response to the suggestions that I should include some details:
I haven't take the LSAT. I don't know whether I want to go to law school; if I do apply, it would be for 2011. I've studied very casually over the past months but nothing formal. If I received the score that I received on the proctored diagnostic I took, I would not be unhappy.
Last edited by ConsideringLawSchool on Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

booboo

Silver

Re: Should I take the LSAT in February?

Post by booboo » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:37 pm

Definitely could use some more information to help persuade you. :).

Bill James

New

Post by Bill James » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:40 pm

booboo wrote:Definitely could use some more information to help persuade you. :).
+1 LOL

ConsideringLawSchool

Bronze

Post by ConsideringLawSchool » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:47 pm

booboo wrote:Definitely could use some more information to help persuade you. :).
I haven't take the LSAT. I don't know whether I want to go to law school; if I do apply, it would be for 2011. I've studied very casually over the past months but nothing formal. If I received the score that I received on the proctored diagnostic I took, I would not be unhappy.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:51 pm

If this is the scenario... I would not take the LSAT. Even if you are not unhappy (double negatives, hehe.) with your diagnostic score, I would suggest first taking the time to consider whether you really want to go down the law school path. Also, unless that score was a 180, there is always room for improvement, and (as many in the TLS commmunity will confirm) a few points can drastically change your range of law school applications.

Don't rush the exam, you have a LOT of time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ConsideringLawSchool

Bronze

Post by ConsideringLawSchool » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:57 pm

Part of the reason I'm thinking of taking is because I've done nearl all recent tests. Apart from careless errors (for some reason I'm always falling asleep when I do PTs), I generally get about 1 wrong per section, so I'm not sure how to study too much more, and I know I won't focus on studying until I have a deadline

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:04 pm

If you're doing that well without studying, take it in February. Studying frantically and for months on end does not, in my opinion, improve scores significantly once you get into the 170+ range, and it sounds as if you're already there.

But there will be others who disagree with me on that point. One thing to bear in mind is that the February LSAT is not disclosed, so if you're unsatisfied with your score, you won't know what sorts of questions you got wrong to study for the next time. That alone might make June more appealing.

ConsideringLawSchool

Bronze

Post by ConsideringLawSchool » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:16 pm

Well, I definitely have studied a fair amount--just in the form of doing lots of individual timed sections (maybe 30 or so LG sections, 25 or so LR, 10 RC) during my trainride to and from work. I haven't done the super structures prep plans. Right now, yes, I am doing quite well, but it seems studying requires that structures 3-full-test-per-week thing that I haven't done, and I don't want to mess up the real thing

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:30 pm

ConsideringLawSchool wrote:Today is the last day to register.

Thanks for any advice... appreciate it.

Edit: In response to the suggestions that I should include some details:
If you're going to apply for fall 2011, if you apply at all, why take in Feb.? If you're not sure you want to go to ls and you aren't even considering Fall 2010, why take in Feb? Practice and think about why/why not attending law school is for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ConsideringLawSchool

Bronze

Post by ConsideringLawSchool » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:39 pm

Three reasons that I am thinking about taking it in Feb:

1) I have been studying casually for a long time, and there are not that many preptests where I haven't at least done the games. Since I'm making about 1 non-careless error per section and don't have timing problems, I'm not sure what exactly I would do to improve (tough to figure out patterns from low numbers of mistakes)

2) A score would be helpful in framing my thoughts about possible law schools, talking with recommenders, etc.

3) If I do apply, I would like to turn apps in by very early September. Therefore, taking in Feb is the only way I have the option of retaking if I run into a game that screw me or something...

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:54 pm

ConsideringLawSchool wrote:Three reasons that I am thinking about taking it in Feb:

1) I have been studying casually for a long time, and there are not that many preptests where I haven't at least done the games. Since I'm making about 1 non-careless error per section and don't have timing problems, I'm not sure what exactly I would do to improve (tough to figure out patterns from low numbers of mistakes)

2) A score would be helpful in framing my thoughts about possible law schools, talking with recommenders, etc.

3) If I do apply, I would like to turn apps in by very early September. Therefore, taking in Feb is the only way I have the option of retaking if I run into a game that screw me or something...
If you think that you are as prepared as you are going to be and want to take it, go for it.

Well, you could take in June and retake in September and be completely fine, if getting you applcations in early is what you're worried about. If you're scoring consistently in the range you want to be, I guess it can't hurt to take in Feb.

ConsideringLawSchool

Bronze

Post by ConsideringLawSchool » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:55 am

Oh no, I registered

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”