Tips on LR improvement?

jjlaw

Tips on LR improvement?

Postby jjlaw » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:13 pm

I've been browsing this forum for a while and it seems like many people have problems with LG more than LR. I have the opposite problem. My LG is pretty good but my LR is a mess. Does anyone have tips on how to improve? Aside from doing a bunch of PTs, should I read a book on informal logic?

CanadianEH

Re: Tips on LR improvement?

Postby CanadianEH » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:33 pm

Best tip I can give you is to attack the section. Actively eliminate wrong answers on easy questions so you can spend more time on the harder ones.

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:01 pm

CanadianEH wrote:Best tip I can give you is to attack the section. Actively eliminate wrong answers on easy questions so you can spend more time on the harder ones.

On easy questions, I would disagree a bit... I'm not a fan of eliminating as opposed to finding the correct answer. I usually just look down the list starting at A -- as soon as I come to one that is right, done. Saves time since you don't have to consider all 5 answers (unless the correct one is E)

Atlas LSAT Teacher

Postby Atlas LSAT Teacher » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:39 pm

jjlaw wrote:I've been browsing this forum for a while and it seems like many people have problems with LG more than LR. I have the opposite problem. My LG is pretty good but my LR is a mess. Does anyone have tips on how to improve? Aside from doing a bunch of PTs, should I read a book on informal logic?

This is a huge topic. Some people have found informal logic to be helpful. However, I think it's important to learn how to approach each question type (or family). Then master how the LSAT constructs wrong answers. Practice strategies on practice sets (a whole bunch of assumption questions, then a whole bunch of s/w . . . .). Spend a lot of time verbalizing your thinking to clean it up. As was discussed in another thread, a lot of this test is about having the right thoughts at high speed, so work on cleaning up your thinking.

I believe in using process of elimination the vast majority of the time on LR and RC. So, it's very useful to become very good at noticing tempting wrong answers. When you review your practice tests, look at the answers you could not quickly eliminate.

Good luck!

Huluba23

Postby Huluba23 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:49 pm

I found that it helps to predict the answer for a couple of PTs. Put a post-it over the answer choices and write down your prediction and see which answer it fits best. Do this for a while and it should help. Helped me alot

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”