"Fact Testing" (Looking Back) for RC Must Be True Questions Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ZombiesAhead

New

"Fact Testing" (Looking Back) for RC Must Be True Questions

Post by ZombiesAhead » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:16 pm

Do 170+ people look back at the RC passage to answer most must-be-true questions? I try to read for structure instead of detail but I think I waste a lot of time returning to the passage to confirm/negate AC's. You do look back to the passage for these questions, right? Maybe I just need to read for structure better to know where to look?

Atlas LSAT Teacher

Bronze

Re: "Fact Testing" (Looking Back) for RC Must Be True Questions

Post by Atlas LSAT Teacher » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:57 pm

I hope that I can recall most things, but almost always have to check back. However, I usually can A) know where to look, and/or B) can eliminate a few answer choices before looking back.

I think you should continue to read for structure, as that should also buy you a bit of time to look back for detail questions. It also seems that having a "mission" can help you recall facts better (as it sets up categories into which you "slot" information).

During review -- and this applies to most any RC question, not just details ones -- it can be helpful to go back and find the lines that support the correct answer. This can help attune your mind to how the LSAT tests RC.

Hope that helps.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:09 pm

Unless I'm 100% sure that I remember the relevant part of the passage (rare), I check back on every question before looking at the answer choices. Knowing where to look is a big deal, though, and that's a big part of what people mean when they talk about reading for structure.

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:20 pm

I try to save time for these questions by not looking back at the passage on as many of the other questions that I am confident about as possible. I also eliminate as much from memory as possible, so that I'm checking back to the passage for 2 or 3 things instead of 5.

And you are right, reading for structure is key for knowing where to look. After you finish each paragraph, think for a second what the main idea of that paragraph was and how it ties into the larger main idea of the section.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”