How to Time/Use Final Minutes and Seconds of a Section

ZombiesAhead
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:47 pm

How to Time/Use Final Minutes and Seconds of a Section

Postby ZombiesAhead » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:00 pm

I had trouble in December in the final minute or so of each section. I was using an analog watch with rotating bezel but I couldn't be sure where I was on time when I got down to the final minute(s).

Because I felt like "Time" could be called at any second, I think I wasted much of the last 1-2 minutes of each section because I didn't want to get caught in the middle of changing an AC.

Is there a better way to keep track of these final moments of a section?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: How to Time/Use Final Minutes and Seconds of a Section

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:00 pm

ZombiesAhead wrote:I had trouble in December in the final minute or so of each section. I was using an analog watch with rotating bezel but I couldn't be sure where I was on time when I got down to the final minute(s).

Because I felt like "Time" could be called at any second, I think I wasted much of the last 1-2 minutes of each section because I didn't want to get caught in the middle of changing an AC.

Is there a better way to keep track of these final moments of a section?


Watch with a chronograph.

ZombiesAhead
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:47 pm

Re: How to Time/Use Final Minutes and Seconds of a Section

Postby ZombiesAhead » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Watch with a chronograph.


Agreed. Yet the discussion here seems to stop at watches with rotating bezels. Is anyone using a (relatively) cheap analog chronograph they could recommend?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: How to Time/Use Final Minutes and Seconds of a Section

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:42 pm

ZombiesAhead wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Watch with a chronograph.


Agreed. Yet the discussion here seems to stop at watches with rotating bezels. Is anyone using a (relatively) cheap analog chronograph they could recommend?


http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I5 ... oh_product

User avatar
superserial
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: How to Time/Use Final Minutes and Seconds of a Section

Postby superserial » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:48 pm

I used the last two minutes of each section writing, "I was BORN and BRED for SUCCESS and ACHIEVEMENTS" all over my test booklet.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: How to Time/Use Final Minutes and Seconds of a Section

Postby kazu » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:32 pm

superserial wrote:I used the last two minutes of each section writing, "I was BORN and BRED for SUCCESS and ACHIEVEMENTS" all over my test booklet.

TITCR

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: How to Time/Use Final Minutes and Seconds of a Section

Postby BenJ » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:42 pm

Unless you haven't answered every question (or it's the last section), spend the last minute relaxing and mentally preparing for the next section. You're more likely to get yourself really stressed out, causing you to possibly miss questions in the next section than you are to switch a wrong answer to a right one.

ZombiesAhead
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:47 pm

Re: How to Time/Use Final Minutes and Seconds of a Section

Postby ZombiesAhead » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:57 am

BenJ wrote:Unless you haven't answered every question (or it's the last section), spend the last minute relaxing and mentally preparing for the next section. You're more likely to get yourself really stressed out, causing you to possibly miss questions in the next section than you are to switch a wrong answer to a right one.



Well I'm not sure I agree with this. I don't see the point in throwing away time. For example, in the December LR, I totally could have diagrammed that bankers/athletes question and gotten the correct answer had I been better able to pace in the last minutes...

User avatar
kswiss
Posts: 391
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

Re: How to Time/Use Final Minutes and Seconds of a Section

Postby kswiss » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:53 am

I used this one.
http://amzn.com/B000SZMMXU

It was precise to the second during my PTs, so I trusted it day of test. In some cases, I was down to about 15 seconds on one section before I bubbled in my last guess (LG). It is nice to know exactly how much time is left...I probably got 2 or more extra right during that section because I wasn't freaking out.

The best is using the actual method that you plan on using on many many PTs. I bought the watch a month before and was able to take 15+ PTs with it, so on test day it was automatic.

1 problem: On one practice test, I failed to think to start the chrono, and looked down at an unmoving watch. Threw off my whole section because I had no idea how much time I had. Glad that didn't happen on the actual test.

ConsideringLawSchool
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:18 pm

Re: How to Time/Use Final Minutes and Seconds of a Section

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:33 am

Aim to be finished in 33 minutes. Use the last two minutes to check the tough questions and don't worry about timing it to the second--when times up, whatever you haven't double checked is still answered.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: How to Time/Use Final Minutes and Seconds of a Section

Postby tomwatts » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:49 pm

You have a few seconds of leeway when they call time. If you're literally bubbling something in as they're calling time, you can finish bubbling it in, unless your proctor is both more alert than virtually any proctor ever and more strict than any proctor ever. Heck, if you're partway through a question and they call time, you probably have time to bubble a hasty guess. Again, a few seconds of leeway.

It's entirely possible to bubble in a letter for anything you haven't gotten to with about 2 minutes left and then erase/change as you go for the last 1-2 questions you do. I don't, because I consistently finish, but if you don't consistently finish, it might be something to consider.

The one thing NOT to do is freak out, panic, and try to answer as many questions as you can in the last couple of minutes. This will lead to you getting all of those questions wrong, and any time spent getting a question wrong is wasted time.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jonny27, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests