Powerscore Bibles and beginning to study Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dajja15

New

Powerscore Bibles and beginning to study

Post by dajja15 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:37 pm

I am starting to study for the June LSAT. I was thinking about going through the bibles. Does anyone know what tests they take questions from? I just don't want to ruin a ton of practice test by going through the bibles. Also, do people recommend taking a practice test in the very beginning without any prep to gage where you are at, or study for a bit and then take a practice test?

Thanks a lot!

imnion

New

Re: Powerscore Bibles and beginning to study

Post by imnion » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:51 pm

From what I've done so far, most of the practice questions are from 2000-2003. That should leave plenty of PTs. I had the same fear as you.

rookhawk

Bronze

Post by rookhawk » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:57 pm

The biggest bit of advice I can offer is this:

No matter what you're doing, I HIGHLY suggest you time limit yourself from the very onset. It is really demoralizing to score 170s on PTs only to find out you're a 155 when timed.

You get 8mins 45 seconds per logic game (and per 1/4 secton in RC, LR) so try to use that baseline as you study. If you have perfectionist issues you'll choke yourself trying to be "perfect" whereas the goal of the LSAT is to make well educated guesses quickly.

Hope that helps you out.

UTexas

New

Post by UTexas » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:00 pm

I could not disagree more with the above advice. Be aware of how much time you're taking to do the problems, but focus on strictly on maximizing accuracy and understanding in the beginning. Doing things in a timely fashion but poorly and inaccurately is not useful. You have five months to get ready for this test, so you have plenty of time to worry about increasing your speed.

jpSartre

Bronze

Post by jpSartre » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:09 pm

I agree with both of you. I started studying about 3 weeks ago and I find that a time constraint tends to force my brain to make inferences. I did untimed game chunks at first for linear and advanced games, but as soon as I learned to diagram grouping games I started timing myself. I think its good to learn the flow of questions by forcing yourself through them at a reasonable speed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

inmans

New

Post by inmans » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:49 pm

6 months is a little early... don't burn out

pattymac

Bronze

Post by pattymac » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:56 pm

I'm starting to study intensely now (writing in June)...I think the key is to study until you feel like you're losing a little bit of sharpness in your thinking. If you're making silly mistakes that you wouldn't if you weren't tired or frustrated or w/e, call it a day. I've done this and it seems like I can focus for greater and greater lengths of time eeach session....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”