UVA addendum Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
sternc

Bronze

UVA addendum

Post by sternc » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:52 pm

I've always wanted to go to UVA. Tell me if this sounds ok, if its over the top, poorly written, whatever.

I lived in Richmond from nine until twelve. In retrospect, that is not a very long time at all. Yet, during those three years I developed a real appreciation and profound interest in Mr. Thomas Jefferson, his state, and his school. I remember when my father told me we were moving after the sixth grade and between heavy tears and heavier sobs and one of the clear memories I have was thinking how this was going to hurt my chances of going to UVA. Maybe it makes sense that a future history major who moved into a home on Thomas Jefferson's boyhood property, Tuckahoe Plantation, would learn to appreciate and love the university and state he represented, but I believe it was the the setting, man, and state that inspired me to love and study history.

From the moment I left Virginia, I felt the state beckoning me back. I stayed close with friends, went to camp at Woodberry Forest, and visited as often as possible. I refused to allow distance and regular accessibility define my relationship with the place I love. After being denied acceptance to Virginia as an undergraduate, I decided I would work as hard as it took to have the opportunity to gain my law degree there.

As my appreciation for Viriginia and its finest university has matured over the years, I have grown to appreciate UVA's "academical village" and its law school for more than just the things I initially loved about the state. As a top ten law school in the nation, it will offer me every opportunity to succeed as a lawyer I could ever have. The list of successful graduates is too long to get into, and its numerous accolades speak for themselves. Important to note is that my dream does not stop at being accepted and choosing to attend Virginia Law. I would work as hard as I possibly can, take advantage of Virginia's limitless resources, and become active in numerous campus societies and activities to ensure that I get everything out of my experience and am simultaneously giving back to the state and university that will give me so many opportunities. All in all, I can not imagine a more enjoyable, gratifying, and career preparing three years than the ones I would be spending in Charlottesville, Virginia.

avacado111

Bronze

Re: UVA addendum

Post by avacado111 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:01 pm

This is all wrong.

Don't include the top ten law school part and DO not include why you were rejected from UVA during undergrad. It's a horrid addendum... I'm going to be honest.

You can say that UVA law is you dream school... but why? Include specific programs, activities, etc.

sternc

Bronze

Post by sternc » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:28 pm

Thanks for being honest, that is why I posted it. I was unsure of how to go about writing this, so your advice will help.

aether

New

Post by aether » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:07 pm

I agree that the addendum has some flaws, but before you spend a bunch of time editing it, I have a more fundamental question to ask: why is this an addendum at all?

You're basically writing a second personal statement and calling it an addendum. I think that's a mistake. If UVA wanted two essays attached to the application, they would have asked for two essays (as some other schools do). They didn't.

The adcomm that gets this application isn't going to say "yay! He included a bonus essay for us to read!" They are going to say "doesn't this guy know how to follow directions? Sheesh!"

Did you consider writing a UVA-specific version of your personal statement instead?

sternc

Bronze

Post by sternc » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Responding to the last post, my motivation for writing this as an addendum was something Dean Trujilo said. According to an interview and TLS.com," Statements are allowed to be “generic;” that is, broad explanations or narratives about why or how law became the path for you. However, Trujillo says, “We do have people stating they want to be at Virginia Law for a particular reason, and that can be persuasive. It need not be in the personal statement though, and can instead be part of an addendum.” Indeed, the admissions office, while it does not require or explicitly ask for one, accepts a Why Virginia statement."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:21 pm

sternc wrote:Responding to the last post, my motivation for writing this as an addendum was something Dean Trujilo said. According to an interview and TLS.com," Statements are allowed to be “generic;” that is, broad explanations or narratives about why or how law became the path for you. However, Trujillo says, “We do have people stating they want to be at Virginia Law for a particular reason, and that can be persuasive. It need not be in the personal statement though, and can instead be part of an addendum.” Indeed, the admissions office, while it does not require or explicitly ask for one, accepts a Why Virginia statement."
There are good guides out there on writing "why" essays.

This addendum is going to hurt you rather than help you. What programs are you interested in at UVA? What professors did you visit? why does uva fit with your goals?

Google it. Or there is a nice ebook on tls that will help you significantly.

sternc

Bronze

Post by sternc » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:52 pm

I am looking for the guides to "why" essays the last poster is talking about, but I have not been able to find anything. Do any of y'all know where I can find it? Thanks.

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:54 pm

look on the top of this fourms on every page

it say's ken's new book tls.

Ken's New, Free Book: Top-Law-Schools.com Guide to Personal Statements

right under view tls stats

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:56 pm

As an alternative to Ken's, I wrote a Why X addendum guide which can be found here:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=94015

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”