What age are most of you??? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
hobbsey

New

Re: What age are most of you???

Post by hobbsey » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:16 am

I am 24 now, will either be 25 or 26 when I start. Probably 26.

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:42 pm

mid sized law firm in Manhattan
wow, Manhattan! I hear that's a magical place where everyone actually has a full set of teeth. Are the stories true? Maybe one day after I've posted 2000+ times the heavens will part and I will be whisked away to this fabled land where I can cavort with real lawyers who can land a reservation at Waverly Inn. But alas! For now I must content myself with merely occupying the same thread with aforementioned luminaries.

vale1rd

New

Post by vale1rd » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:47 pm

20--will be 21 when i enter law school

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:47 pm

chango wrote:
wow, Manhattan! I hear that's a magical place where everyone actually has a full set of teeth. Are the stories true? Maybe one day after I've posted 2000+ times the heavens will part and I will be whisked away to this fabled land where I can cavort with real lawyers who can land a reservation at Waverly Inn. But alas! For now I must content myself with merely occupying the same thread with aforementioned luminaries.
That's twice in two posts that you decided to dwell on a ridiculously small part of what he was saying. You must be a real sharp tack.

shanoodle

New

Post by shanoodle » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:53 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:57 pm

21. I will be 22 at the start of Fall 2010, or 23 if I start in Fall 2011.

keemos

Bronze

Post by keemos » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:00 pm

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:02 pm

old, successful, and smart. watch out. :D

<--- go bears

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:05 pm

chango wrote:
what a TTT poster

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:09 pm

27 here! Feel a little bit old, but I'm in the best shape of my life and my wife is smoking hot, so I guess I'll get over it...

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:11 pm

it might have been posted before but am I the only one who thinks 21-22 is way too young for law school for most people? Especially those that have never really worked/supported themselves/always relied on mom and dad (I know this isnt everyone). Can you even understand the seriousness of the debt load at that age? Do they have the emotional/mental savvy to succeed, socially and academically in a "real" graduate program?

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:12 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
chango wrote:
what a TTT poster

--LinkRemoved--

narkizopoint

Bronze

Post by narkizopoint » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:13 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:it might have been posted before but am I the only one who thinks 21-22 is way too young for law school for most people? Especially those that have never really worked/supported themselves/always relied on mom and dad (I know this isnt everyone). Can you even understand the seriousness of the debt load at that age? Do they have the emotional/mental savvy to succeed, socially and academically in a "real" graduate program?
Why would they need to understand the seriousness of the debt load then?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:17 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:it might have been posted before but am I the only one who thinks 21-22 is way too young for law school for most people? Especially those that have never really worked/supported themselves/always relied on mom and dad (I know this isnt everyone). Can you even understand the seriousness of the debt load at that age? Do they have the emotional/mental savvy to succeed, socially and academically in a "real" graduate program?
I'm 23 and can suprisingly agree. (about being too young) My life has done a complete 180 in the last year. Had I started straight out of undergrad I would have been a complete failure. I loved my booze and my men. What can I say. But now I love my job and my man. Bring it on law school.....

But that is just my personal experience. I would think someone far more mature and settled than I at 21/22 would do just fine.
Last edited by CmonSD on Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:19 pm

narkizopoint wrote:
Why would they need to understand the seriousness of the debt load then?
because you have the same debt at 21-22 at 41-42 .. and just because mom and dad can cover some college expenses doesn't mean they can make 2k/month loan payments.

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:21 pm

I'm 23, but did my masters in engineering straight out of undergrad. It was a pretty real graduate program (though I'm sure not quite like LS) and I did quite well.

I know at least five other friends of mine in law school right now who started straight out of undergrad, or within a year thereafter, and are doing quite well (most above or at 3.2 GPA). 21/22 years old is definitely not too young, if you're used to a rigorous academic schedule and hard work.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:27 pm

icydash wrote:
I'm 23, but did my masters in engineering straight out of undergrad. It was a pretty real graduate program (though I'm sure not quite like LS) and I did quite well.

I know at least five other friends of mine in law school right now who started straight out of undergrad, or within a year thereafter, and are doing quite well (most above or at 3.2 GPA). 21/22 years old is definitely not too young, if you're used to a rigorous academic schedule and hard work.
Like I said, this doesnt apply to everyone and I have respect for accomplished young people. For the most part, though, I wouldn't trust most 21-22 year olds I meet with watching my dog..forget 150k in loans.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

familylawleader

New

Post by familylawleader » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:30 pm

I'm 38 and I'm not worried about it!

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:37 pm

I'm not sure why this thread doesn't have a poll, but I will jump in.

28 now and will be 29 when I start.

I think the ideal age for a 1L would be someone that is 25 or so with a couple of years of legit WE under their belt.

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:41 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
icydash wrote:

Like I said, this doesnt apply to everyone and I have respect for accomplished young people. For the most part, though, I wouldn't trust most 21-22 year olds I meet with watching my dog..forget 150k in loans.
Hahaha fair enough.

narkizopoint

Bronze

Post by narkizopoint » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:42 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:Why would they need to understand the seriousness of the debt load then?
because you have the same debt at 21-22 at 41-42 .. and just because mom and dad can cover some college expenses doesn't mean they can make 2k/month loan payments.[/quote]

Mom and dad are lot closer to death when your 41-42 and you can look forward to collecting on the estate/life insuruance. Just make sure they are DNR's or they'll drain your inheritance

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:45 pm

narkizopoint wrote:
Mom and dad are lot closer to death when your 41-42 and you can look forward to collecting on the estate/life insuruance. Just make sure they are DNR's or they'll drain your inheritance
When my folks croak I think I'll be in the hole about $10k.

lsat_fear

New

Post by lsat_fear » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:46 pm

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:47 pm

Make this a poll.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:50 pm

I know a ton of 22 year olds who would (and have) crash and burn in law school...and I know a few people in their early thirties who would do the same.

I think its a generally understood wisdom that in most cases, its good to get some work experience before going into any sort of graduate program...however, I think you're selling most 22 year olds short--I know very few students without undergraduate debt and who haven't worked through college.

In addition, the legal world is living proof that a shitton of 22 year olds can go right from UG to law school and do perfectly well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”