Read all answer choices or no?

EdmundBurke23

Read all answer choices or no?

Postby EdmundBurke23 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:17 am

I find that my prephrases oftentimes hit the jackpot to a point where I feel that there's virtually no need to read the remaining answer choices. Does anyone else feel the same way? Or is this a general "no-no"?

Cole S. Law

Re: Read all answer choices or no?

Postby Cole S. Law » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:22 am

Absolutely read all choices. Sometimes it will alert you that you misread the stem or question.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:25 am

the time savings isn't worth the risk. questions that seem like slam dunks often turn out to have a funny trick in them.

kazu

Postby kazu » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:26 am

Yep... I agree with the other posters, you definitely need to read all of them, sometimes while reading you realize that your jackpot prephase was actually flawed. Of course, if you're running out of time you may not be able to do so, but that's the exception not the rule. While prepping I strongly suggest you try to improve speed while reading all answer choices.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:28 am

Yes, on all sections but games.

On games, if it works, it works.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:39 pm

There are very occasionally conditional-heavy LR questions on which you might be able to stop once you've found the right answer, because these are just as absolute as games, but frankly, I don't. I read all the answers on these questions anyway.

On games, my line is, if you're absolutely sure that your answer is correct (and you can be absolutely sure on games, because the answers are either right or wrong, not best and inferior as they are in LR and RC), you can choose it and move on. If you have doubts — or if you tend to choose an answer too soon on games and get questions wrong because of it — then read all the answers.

Oh, and on LR and RC, if you feel that you've really nailed it, you just have to read the other answers quickly to make sure that you haven't done something stupid. You can read a little faster if you're 99% sure you've got it; you can't just move on.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:43 pm

Sometimes on LR you don't have to read all of them, esp on questions 1-6. After you practice enough, you should be able to have a good idea what the correct answer choice should contain, even before reading the choices. But in general, yes read them all.

onthecusp

Postby onthecusp » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:46 pm

EdmundBurke23 wrote:I find that my prephrases oftentimes hit the jackpot to a point where I feel that there's virtually no need to read the remaining answer choices. Does anyone else feel the same way? Or is this a general "no-no"?

75% of the time I did this on PT's, I got it wrong....only to find the more obvious answer choice one or two choices down. Don't do it.

Sometimes it's ok on LG. Never on LR or RC.

EdmundBurke23

Postby EdmundBurke23 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:12 pm

onthecusp wrote:
EdmundBurke23 wrote:I find that my prephrases oftentimes hit the jackpot to a point where I feel that there's virtually no need to read the remaining answer choices. Does anyone else feel the same way? Or is this a general "no-no"?

75% of the time I did this on PT's, I got it wrong....only to find the more obvious answer choice one or two choices down. Don't do it.

I somewhat asked about this because I want to speed through the first few questions so that I have more time on the more difficult questions. This is assuming that the first few questions are very easy. My goal is to complete the first ten questions with 100% accuracy within the first ten minutes.

The thing is, I only got -3 on the most recent LR section that I drilled through, and I got the last two wrong, and #15 wrong. After Question fifteen, I remember reading through every single answer choice to make sure I get them all right. This just seems odd, but I think that simply glancing at each answer choice is a smarter move... but but... sometimes these answer choices are just so obvious. My prephrases were right on target on these questions.. but the downside is that I feel overwhelmed and lost when none of the answer choices reflect my prephrase.

But yeah.. I see that it's important at such an early stage in my prep to time myself while reading every single answer choice... thanks for the help guys. I'll take additional comments into consideration as well:D

whuts4lunch

Postby whuts4lunch » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:18 pm

when a choice matches your prephrase it is ok to choose it and move on

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:42 pm

For LR, I only read all the answer choices the final questions (#15 and on). Other than that, there's one clear answer. Once I find it, why waste time? If I have extra time at the end, sure, I'll look back, but I really want to save every minute to use on 15-end.

For Games, I read all the answers if I think that I might not have the setup totally correct. A couple times, I've found more than one correct answer and realized, as a result, that I had reversed a rule. Obviously, if time is short, you just pick and move on.

For RC, I'll generally read all the answer choices unless I'm sure.

EdmundBurke23

Postby EdmundBurke23 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:51 pm

ConsideringLawSchool wrote:For LR, I only read all the answer choices the final questions (#15 and on). Other than that, there's one clear answer. Once I find it, why waste time? If I have extra time at the end, sure, I'll look back, but I really want to save every minute to use on 15-end.

For Games, I read all the answers if I think that I might not have the setup totally correct. A couple times, I've found more than one correct answer and realized, as a result, that I had reversed a rule. Obviously, if time is short, you just pick and move on.

I really think that this is what I learned. I can seroiusly kill each question in a minute when it comes to the first fifteen questions by using my prephrases. Of course I read every single answer if I find contenders as well. I really think the 17 to 20 minutes for the last ten questions are needed for accuracy.

skip james

Postby skip james » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:52 pm

ConsideringLawSchool wrote:For LR, I only read all the answer choices the final questions (#15 and on). Other than that, there's one clear answer. Once I find it, why waste time? If I have extra time at the end, sure, I'll look back, but I really want to save every minute to use on 15-end.

+1, though i think i slow down a little bit after q10 since 11-15 can sometimes be a little tricky.

onthecusp wrote:

no offence, but i think it's not so much that prephrasing in general doesn't help, but rather that your prephrasing, in particular, is probably kinda crappy.

prephrasing works for me with amazing accuracy.

superserial

Postby superserial » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:53 pm

Cupidity wrote:Yes, on all sections but games.

On games, if it works, it works.

TITCR

straxen

Postby straxen » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:10 pm

FWIW, My biggest score increase came when I decided that, when I found the right answer I should be confident with it and move on. A few questions required that I read all answers, but in most cases, the right answer is the right answer, and reading further wastes time. (RC is a possible exception).

I think it's worth trying both ways in the latter part of preparation and seeing which way works out better. I am definitely in favor of not reading all answer choices though, particularly for high-level test takers (~168+).

I know I could not have received my 178 if I had taken the time to read every answer in LR, even on the medium/medium-high difficulty questions.

Atlas LSAT Teacher

Postby Atlas LSAT Teacher » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:20 pm

It's an interesting issue. About 2 or 3 weeks before each LSAT, in response to someone who has seen her scores dip I suggest the idea of "working from wrong to right", i.e. process of elimination with a focus on eliminating instead of finding the right answer, and someone goes "Wow!" But then some people who would otherwise score quite well need a kick in the ass on timing and they need to move faster on the first 5 or 10 questions, so pulling the trigger early helps there. However, most people who can go "Oh!, I see why that's wrong" when reviewing LR and RC are getting tricked by word matches or subtle shifts in scope. To beat those, most people need to become wary of answers they like so that they can actually evaluate other answers critically (and not in an effort to prove right the answer they liked).

I think it's best to work on your overall speed so that you can always eliminate 4 answers. When I get lazy and pull the trigger early, I lose 1 or 2 questions on each LR and RC section. But, if I'm in a rush, I do it to get back on top of the clock.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:24 pm

straxen wrote:FWIW, My biggest score increase came when I decided that, when I found the right answer I should be confident with it and move on. A few questions required that I read all answers, but in most cases, the right answer is the right answer, and reading further wastes time. (RC is a possible exception).

I think it's worth trying both ways in the latter part of preparation and seeing which way works out better. I am definitely in favor of not reading all answer choices though, particularly for high-level test takers (~168+).

I know I could not have received my 178 if I had taken the time to read every answer in LR, even on the medium/medium-high difficulty questions.

I know for a fact I wouldn't have a 176 if I didn't read all the answers. My problem wasn't with the logic involved, it was that I'd carelessly miss parts of the stimulus, or confuse something. If I read all the answers, sometimes I'd come out with two that fit. Which means I fucked something up and I'd reread.

That's why I got the bears question right on the Sept LSAT.

superserial

Postby superserial » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I know for a fact I wouldn't have a 176 if I didn't read all the answers.

+1

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:37 pm

If you prephrase correctly for the first 5-7 questions on LR, I'd go with your prephrased answer right away. Otherwise, there are just too many opportunities to get tricked.

straxen

Postby straxen » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
straxen wrote:FWIW, My biggest score increase came when I decided that, when I found the right answer I should be confident with it and move on. A few questions required that I read all answers, but in most cases, the right answer is the right answer, and reading further wastes time. (RC is a possible exception).

I know for a fact I wouldn't have a 176 if I didn't read all the answers. My problem wasn't with the logic involved, it was that I'd carelessly miss parts of the stimulus, or confuse something. If I read all the answers, sometimes I'd come out with two that fit. Which means I fucked something up and I'd reread.

That's a good point, but I found that when I didn't read the stimulus correctly, I would usually not find any answers that worked quite right and that's how I knew that I fucked something up. So I think you can have the same error correction mechanism either way.

Personally, I think the speed advantage from moving on after picking an answer wins out over the 1 or 2 questions that I might misread and then find an answer that works despite having misread the stimulus.

That said, I suspect that the objectively correct answer is probably closest to...find the right answer on LG and move on, on RC read all the answers unless it's obvious, and figure out what works best for you on LR in practice.

superserial

Postby superserial » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:45 pm

the correct answer is read all the answers on LR and RC if you have your timing down.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:49 pm

straxen wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

That's a good point, but I found that when I didn't read the stimulus correctly, I would usually not find any answers that worked quite right and that's how I knew that I fucked something up. So I think you can have the same error correction mechanism either way.

Personally, I think the speed advantage from moving on after picking an answer wins out over the 1 or 2 questions that I might misread and then find an answer that works despite having misread the stimulus.

That said, I suspect that the objectively correct answer is probably closest to...find the right answer on LG and move on, on RC read all the answers unless it's obvious, and figure out what works best for you on LR in practice.

Well the no correct answer would happen too, but I was protected in both cases.

I'd also assume the trade off depends on how fast the person was. After a bit of studying time wasn't much of a problem, so the wasted time never cost me any questions.

LG I didn't read all answers unless I was brute forcing a problem. LR, I'd always have more than enough time. RC was the only one I was short on time with, but it is almost the most subjective. If I didn't read all the questions I'd probably lose 3-4 questions per test.

Woozy

Postby Woozy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:49 am

This question does not have one correct answer. For a person who has high accuracy and feels the time constraint, not reading the remaining choices will be best. For someone who finishes in plenty of time but overlooks correct answers, reading them all is necessary. The situation for most is less clear cut than these extremes, and their optimal strategy must be determined during practice tests.

I had the luxury of being quick and falsified all incorrect answers in all sections. I would say that if you have enough time you should be doing this.

World B. Free

Postby World B. Free » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:53 am

I read all the answers... When practicing, I found that when I picked the 1st answer that matched what I paraphrased, it turned out to be wrong about 40 - 50% percent of the time..

yeast master

Postby yeast master » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:27 am

My strategy for both LR and RC was to stop reading answer choices when I found one that I was fully happy with. Sometimes that meant reading everything, sometimes it didn't. On any question for which I didn't read all the answer choices I made a mark next to the question so I could come back to it if I had time at the end. I figured it was more important to finish the section and avoid having to guess at the end than it was to make super duper sure that I read all the answer choices.

The other part of my strategy was to give a best guess on questions when the correct choice wasn't readily apparent after 1.5 minutes or so and mark those with a different mark so I could give them priority when reviewing at the end.

Following this strategy I rarely got answers wrong because I didn't read all the answer choices. Usually, my wrong answers were on questions that had me stumped. In PT's I routinely got -1 to -4 total on LR and -0 to -1 on RC. On the Dec. LSAT I got -3 total on LR and -0 on RC (of course, I screwed the pooch on LG). I would have had to guess at the end of RC if I had read all the answer choices for all the questions.

Bottom line: I wouldn't be restricted by the read everything rule. If you find that you're missing questions because you didn't read everything, then maybe you should read everything. But you have to balance that with the time constraints. Follow the strategy that feels right and gets you the best results.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”