How can I become an LSAT Instructor/Tutor?

Giller

How can I become an LSAT Instructor/Tutor?

Postby Giller » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:19 pm

I'm sure that the info is out there, but I just cannot find it. I just scored 174 on the December LSAT, and am trying to figure out how I can get an LSAT instructor position with a company like Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc., and also how to start tutoring one-on-one. Do I need any type of certification to do the latter? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

tomwatts

Re: How can I become an LSAT Instructor/Tutor?

Postby tomwatts » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:24 pm

For Princeton Review, you can call 1-800-2-REVIEW for the general line or find the number for your local office (I could tell you if I knew where you were). You can also go here. (Um, ignore whatever it says about Screening Exams. It works differently for the LSAT anyway.)

UTexas

Postby UTexas » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:26 pm

Piggybacking on this post: Anybody knows who pays the best (in Austin, Texas)? I know TM starts at $30/hour here and PS pays $25/hour. I think PR starts at a lowly $15/hour. Doesn't someone here teach for Kaplan?

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:29 pm

You can tutor one-on-one anytime. All you need is some street cred to start (aka, friends who are impressed with your LSAT score). Post fliers and get your friends to do some free advertising, and watch your clientele come in. Also, start learning how to schmooze people and convince them that prep courses are a waste of their money and that personalized instruction is the best way to make significant gains. Stress to them the ability to customize the program, your intimate personal knowledge, and the flexible scheduling. Not only will this help you expand your business, but it is also great practice for getting firm jobs and moving up the often-underestimated legal social ladder later on.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:29 pm

Factor in that PR (and Kaplan, I think) pays prep time, whereas TM doesn't, so the rates are actually more similar than you'd think.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:38 pm

boo_pragmatism wrote:
GeePee wrote:You can tutor one-on-one anytime. All you need is some street cred to start (aka, friends who are impressed with your LSAT score). Post fliers and get your friends to do some free advertising, and watch your clientele come in. Also, start learning how to schmooze people and convince them that prep courses are a waste of their money and that personalized instruction is the best way to make significant gains. Stress to them the ability to customize the program, your intimate personal knowledge, and the flexible scheduling. Not only will this help you expand your business, but it is also great practice for getting firm jobs and moving up the often-underestimated legal social ladder later on.

Get this shit:

I offered to run an LSAT study group for a bunch of undergrads prepping for the June test. I offered to do it for free. I sent an email asking for these individual's schedules about 2 weeks ago. 1 of the 10 has written back.

Good to start off on a positive note.

LSAT n00bs find it difficult to think about a test that's 6 months away. I'd send out a follow-up email in a few weeks and go from there.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”