handscoring for more than just machine error?

tomhobbes

handscoring for more than just machine error?

Postby tomhobbes » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:24 am

Is it true that LSAC handscoring will compensate you for more than just marks that the machine missed? I have a friend who accidentally bubbled the last 6 RC questions one section over, under his experimental games section instead. He would have got 5 of those 6 right, missing the last. It should be obvious to anyone who looks at it that this was a mistake. Would LSAC fix this for him?

MBZags

Re: handscoring for more than just machine error?

Postby MBZags » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:31 am

In September, someone called and was told that LSAC would do this. But other people said LSAC likely wouldn't, and that the person who answered the phone was simply wrong. I don't think we ever heard back from the original person. So your friend's best bet is to call when they open back up on Monday.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:43 am

No way. That's called "mis-bubbling" and that's all on him. Always, always check that your answers line up before time is called.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:36 pm

It's a while since I took the LSAT, but I believe there was a report of someone having this corrected as the answers circled in his book were correct.

It probably depends as much on who checks it whether or not they'd do that. There's little harm in trying other than the fee and, given the cost of law school, that's pretty insignificant.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:41 pm

albanach wrote:It's a while since I took the LSAT, but I believe there was a report of someone having this corrected as the answers circled in his book were correct.

It probably depends as much on who checks it whether or not they'd do that. There's little harm in trying other than the fee and, given the cost of law school, that's pretty insignificant.

Why are you answering a question from 2009?

albanach

Postby albanach » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:51 pm

hibiki wrote:
albanach wrote:It's a while since I took the LSAT, but I believe there was a report of someone having this corrected as the answers circled in his book were correct.

Good question - the forum put it at the top when I clicked to browse. Maybe it'll be handy for someone else though.

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:25 pm

hibiki wrote:

Some of the greatest questions are both unanswered and rather ancient.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:00 pm

I do not believe the hand scorers have access to the test booklets. I could be wrong on this, though.

Postby 05062014 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:22 pm

Question about scoring in general. I am finding that timing will be my biggest issue on game day due to my tendency to mis-bubble or take too long bubbling. I am making every effort to improve speed in all sections to help with this. Anyways, taking a PT today, I realized I could bubble a full section within 20-25 seconds as opposed to a full minute by half-bubbling. Instead of darkening all circles completely, I marked them such that a good portion of each bubble was filled but not completely. I made no stray marks and it was apparent what my answers were. Would this method be scored by a machine correctly? If not, would someone handscoring it hesitate to give me the points because the bubbling was not ideal?

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:25 pm

abdistotle wrote:Question about scoring in general. I am finding that timing will be my biggest issue on game day due to my tendency to mis-bubble or take too long bubbling. I am making every effort to improve speed in all sections to help with this. Anyways, taking a PT today, I realized I could bubble a full section within 20-25 seconds as opposed to a full minute by half-bubbling. Instead of darkening all circles completely, I made no stray marks and it was apparent what my answers were. Would this method be scored by a machine correctly? If not, would someone handscoring it hesitate to give me the points because the bubbling was not ideal?

Just fill in the bubbles and work more quickly.

Postby 05062014 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:27 pm

Trying my friend. I am not gonna depend on this strategy unless I need to due to factors on gameday I cannot completely account for. I would just like to know if it is something I can use in the worst case scenario

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”