Is it possible to jump 20 points within 20 days?

SJU2010

Is it possible to jump 20 points within 20 days?

Postby SJU2010 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:42 am

I am wondering if I even stand a chance for my target score for the feb lsat, this is my story....

I took a Kaplan test prep in the summer finished with a 144 timed test :| . I havent looked at anything lsat related since due to my busy work and school schedule. Today was my first day studying and I feel overwhelmed b/c i dont really remember what I have learned. My target score is 160 (doing a combined degree program and w/my high GPA and a 160 I am guaranteed admission to SJU. I really want to get into this combined degree program b/c I am getting too old for undergrad, planning a baby, and tuition at my private university is astronomical. Through this program I get to replace my last yr of undergrad with law school), I am planning to study for 6 hours a day for the next 20days (fall semester starts on the 20th). I plan to take 2-3 tests a week with intense reviews. I did not purchase any bibles, only working from my kaplan material.

What do you guys think will I be able to attain a 160 within 20 days?

Any advice on how I can make that jump?

Thanks!

Kohinoor

Re: Is it possible to jump 20 points within 20 days?

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:51 am

SJU2010 wrote:I am wondering if I even stand a chance for my target score for the feb lsat, this is my story....

I took a Kaplan test prep in the summer finished with a 144 timed test :| . I havent looked at anything lsat related since due to my busy work and school schedule. Today was my first day studying and I feel overwhelmed b/c i dont really remember what I have learned. My target score is 160 (doing a combined degree program and w/my high GPA and a 160 I am guaranteed admission to SJU. I really want to get into this combined degree program b/c I am getting too old for undergrad, planning a baby, and tuition at my private university is astronomical. Through this program I get to replace my last yr of undergrad with law school), I am planning to study for 6 hours a day for the next 20days (fall semester starts on the 20th). I plan to take 2-3 tests a week with intense reviews. I did not purchase any bibles, only working from my kaplan material.

Thanks!

If you do disciplined study for 6 hours a day you can do it.

monkeyboy

Postby monkeyboy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:02 am

Kohinoor wrote:
SJU2010 wrote:I am wondering if I even stand a chance for my target score for the feb lsat, this is my story....

Thanks!

What kind of study? I studied for this test years ago, never took it. Then decided to take it recently with the economy being the way it is. I took 8 practice tests over two months before Dec 5th and scored a 163, but I wasn't actually studying. Just taking practice tests. Am I asking for trouble if I attempt to do some in depth study? Will I be ready for Feb 5th? Is there a chance I could bog myself down and score only minimally higher on the retake? Would six hours a day benefit me? What should I do?

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:06 am

Buy a book, work through each question, take timed tests. Come up with strategies and familiarize yourself with the questions.

In a word, study.

monkeyboy

Postby monkeyboy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:11 am

ec2xs wrote:Buy a book, work through each question, take timed tests. Come up with strategies and familiarize yourself with the questions.

In a word, study.

I don't want to study, but I will if I must. What book provides the best strategy for tackling reading comp?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:26 am

monkeyboy wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

Thanks!

What kind of study? I studied for this test years ago, never took it. Then decided to take it recently with the economy being the way it is. I took 8 practice tests over two months before Dec 5th and scored a 163, but I wasn't actually studying. Just taking practice tests. Am I asking for trouble if I attempt to do some in depth study? Will I be ready for Feb 5th? Is there a chance I could bog myself down and score only minimally higher on the retake? Would six hours a day benefit me? What should I do?
Six hours a day for 20 days would benefit anybody because that's a shitload of time to spend on a very learnable test. It only takes about 10 hours to figure out where you suck and how to improve.

SJU2010

Postby SJU2010 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:45 am

[/quote]Six hours a day for 20 days would benefit anybody because that's a shitload of time to spend on a very learnable test. It only takes about 10 hours to figure out where you suck and how to improve.[/quote]

10 hours really? How did you figure that out? That gives me hope, I was thinking 1 week (6 hour study per day week)

SJU2010

Postby SJU2010 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:55 am

monkeyboy wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

Thanks!

Studying in depth to me and most people that I have spoke to means getting married to the test. You must neglect everyone and everything and focus on the test.

I will initially start with a practice test 9am-1pm take a break and then review until 5. I have work until 9:00 pm once I get off work I hope to be able to squeeze in additional studying. My plan is to take lots of practice tests and do timed section tests. I will also use pithypikes suggestion; and cut the wrong questions out and review them over and over.

What do you think?

Sourpunch

Postby Sourpunch » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:57 am

I think a 160 is possible. Getting to 170+ is the difficult part.

Sourpunch

Postby Sourpunch » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:57 am

EDIT: I also think only people who don't care take it in Febuary, and that you should give yourself more time, take it in June or September, get a 165+ and apply to better schools.

aether

Postby aether » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:04 am

Kohinoor wrote:It only takes about 10 hours to figure out where you suck and how to improve.

While I agree that you can diagnose your problem ("figure out where you suck and how to improve") in 10 hours or less, I strongly disagree that 10 hours is enough time to actually fix the problem.

OP: Trying to gain 16 points in 20 days sounds awfully difficult. I spent about 120 hours studying and practicing over a period of five weeks to gain 8 points. Maybe you're smart enough to gain twice as many points in half the time... but it sure sounds like a challenge to me.

You'll have a better chance to reach your goal if you wait for a later test and give yourself enough prep time.

aether

Postby aether » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:17 am

jayzon wrote:Personally, I believe that a 160 can become a 170 with practice (disclosure: I went from 166 to 173). The trick: LAY OFF THE PRACTICE TESTS.

Your 163 shows that you get the basics of the test well

[strike]I think you have misunderstood the OP, Jayzon. He doesn't have a 160. He has a 144 PT and is trying to reach a 160.
He wants a 16-point gain in 20 days. Seems like a tall order, no?[/strike]

Sorry, my mistake. Looks like the OP did indeed say in another post that he had a 163 PT.
Last edited by aether on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

monkeyboy

Postby monkeyboy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:52 am

jayzon wrote:Personally, I believe that a 160 can become a 170 with practice (disclosure: I went from 166 to 173). The trick: LAY OFF THE PRACTICE TESTS.

Your 163 shows that you get the basics of the test well; now it is time to tear apart your old PTs (and your real LSAT) and figure out what you got wrong most regularly. In my case, I found I kept falling for the red herrings on Most Weakens questions, and I was missing inferences in certain games. I practiced those types of problems, over and over, until I could spot the right answer almost immediately.

I sometimes wonder if I had the time to do this with each type of question if I would've scored higher. Anyway...

Isolate your frequent mistakes, and then eliminate them. Do this HARDCORE for the next 4-7 days. Then take another PT, and report back.

Good luck!

Thanks Jayzon! Much appreciation. I've been laying off the PTs, going over games, but I haven't torn apart my past PTs and the real test yet. Will do. I think I've been avoiding it because it is the hardest kind of studying. I have to actually figure out why I was missing those questions before.

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:56 am

Since you need a particular score that isn't incredibly hard to come by (I don't mean this as an insult and only mean that it's easier than trying to get a 175+), it might be a good idea to think about skipping one passage reading comp or game in the logic games to ensure you get a minimum number of questions right. The idea is that by sacrificing some questions by either guessing or devoting a lot less time to them than you would other questions, you'd make it a lot more likely to get a greater number of questions right. The same sort of strategy can be tried in logical reasoning, where you'd focus on fewer questions (20 versus 25) but get more right. The thing is, you don't necessarily want to do this with every section, or you're just giving up too many questions.

I guess what I am trying to say is that there's a lot less pressure to get such a high number of questions right. You probably need about 75 questions right to feel comfortable getting a 160, based on the different curves I've seen, and there are a lot of ways to do it. Just try to figure out if working with a particular strategy as you go over the concepts can get you up there in a raw number.

As for the concepts, the PowerScore bibles are a good place to start. If you have to make one decision about what to focus on, do the logical reasoning, specifically the assumption, strengthen and justify questions. There are two sections of this on the test.

birdmann783

Postby birdmann783 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:20 pm

This is gonna be tough but there are loopholes. I was in the RHB law summer prep program for undergrads at stjohns this pass summer and my friend was applying to the law school. He didn't get in but they offered him this alternative. Go to a "summer institute law class" at sju and if he gets a b+ in the class, he would get admitted. Unfortunately he got a b but this is an option for you if you don't get the targeted score. You could also tell the admissions officers you would attend part time. Then you do summer classes and switch over full time. I'm a jr in college but since I was taking law classes there, I found out all this information. Good luck

rv11

Postby rv11 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:43 pm

monkeyboy wrote:
ec2xs wrote:Buy a book, work through each question, take timed tests. Come up with strategies and familiarize yourself with the questions.

In a word, study.

I don't want to study, but I will if I must. What book provides the best strategy for tackling reading comp?

You thought you could achieve a significant score increase without studying?

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:38 pm

Regarding the original posting: I personally think it is very unlikely you will go from a 144 to a 160 in twenty days no matter how much you study, especially if you have already done a fair amount of study and practice (which your having taken an LSAT course implies). I don't mean to be discouraging, and I think it's definitely not impossible, but I certainly wouldn't expect it. Everyone has a different LSAT ceiling IMO, although study and preparation definitely help. I started practicing a long time ago, and my first few cold tests were apprx. mid-150s. I just scored a 166 in December 2009, but that was after a very long period (years on and off) of study and many practice tests (some of it is just the luck of the draw I think, as I did hit the 170 mark in practices occasionally, but also would score low 160s not infrequently). Go for it, and you just may do it, but I think that any sort of expectation that this will happen (especially given your short prep time) is most likely unrealistic IMO.

Regarding the second poster who stated they got a 163: I personally think that taking the practices is the best form of studying, as long as you do go back and review your wrong answers. I think if your 163 was at the top end of your practice test scores (or above) then it may be unlikely that you will gain much on a retake. However, 8 practice tests isn't a whole lot, so perhaps you can hit 170 with intensive study before the Feb. test. There are so many variables that influence actual performance and consequent score that it is hard to predict what is really possible (though it is fun to try!). Best of luck if you do retake in Feb.!

monkeyboy

Postby monkeyboy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:15 am

seanrr wrote:Regarding the original posting: I personally think it is very unlikely you will go from a 144 to a 160 in twenty days no matter how much you study, especially if you have already done a fair amount of study and practice (which your having taken an LSAT course implies). I don't mean to be discouraging, and I think it's definitely not impossible, but I certainly wouldn't expect it. Everyone has a different LSAT ceiling IMO, although study and preparation definitely help. I started practicing a long time ago, and my first few cold tests were apprx. mid-150s. I just scored a 166 in December 2009, but that was after a very long period (years on and off) of study and many practice tests (some of it is just the luck of the draw I think, as I did hit the 170 mark in practices occasionally, but also would score low 160s not infrequently). Go for it, and you just may do it, but I think that any sort of expectation that this will happen (especially given your short prep time) is most likely unrealistic IMO.

Regarding the second poster who stated they got a 163: I personally think that taking the practices is the best form of studying, as long as you do go back and review your wrong answers. I think if your 163 was at the top end of your practice test scores (or above) then it may be unlikely that you will gain much on a retake. However, 8 practice tests isn't a whole lot, so perhaps you can hit 170 with intensive study before the Feb. test. There are so many variables that influence actual performance and consequent score that it is hard to predict what is really possible (though it is fun to try!). Best of luck if you do retake in Feb.!

I had some practice tests in the high 160 range and one at 171. My low was a 159 and a few were between 163 and 166. Total, without checking, I'm pretty sure it went something like 161, 163, 159, 165, 162, 167, 171, 169. I wasn't too disappointed in my score since it fell with in my PT avg range. I was OK with it. However, I did completely duff the games section so I am kind of burdened with the knowledge that I can do better.

I started studying last night using the suggested method. It will be more difficult. It will be particularly cumbersome analyzing my reading comp sections.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

SJU2010

Postby SJU2010 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:35 pm

Thanks!

You won't believe it! I took a timed test this morning and scored at 151! This means 10 points to go, not as bad as I thought (140's). I think 10 points to achieve is a lot more realistic than 20!!
Any suggestions on how to rack in those 10 points before feb?
I did not finish RC and LG, I left one passage and one game out.
I finished LR with a few minutes left

I am working with real tests, kaplan mastery and Kaplan online help. any suggestions?

Thanks for all the previous advice

SJU2010

Postby SJU2010 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:42 pm

birdmann783 wrote:This is gonna be tough but there are loopholes. I was in the RHB law summer prep program for undergrads at stjohns this pass summer and my friend was applying to the law school. He didn't get in but they offered him this alternative. Go to a "summer institute law class" at sju and if he gets a b+ in the class, he would get admitted. Unfortunately he got a b but this is an option for you if you don't get the targeted score. You could also tell the admissions officers you would attend part time. Then you do summer classes and switch over full time. I'm a jr in college but since I was taking law classes there, I found out all this information. Good luck

OMG Fellow SJU student!!
I got into the RHB program also for this past summer but I decided to take a Kaplan course and try this combined degree program out instead. I was really bummed about not being able to make it, it sounds great. How was it ? Everything they promised? How is their LSAT prep?

Thanks for the extra advice, I will def keep that loop hole in mind :)

ZXCVBNM

Postby ZXCVBNM » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:46 pm

no

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:48 pm

SJU2010 wrote:

What do you guys think will I be able to attain a 160 within 20 days? [/color][/size]
Any advice on how I can make that jump? [/color]

Thanks! [/size]

You won't believe it! I took a timed test this morning and scored at 151! This means 10 points to go, not as bad as I thought (140's). I think 10 points to achieve is a lot more realistic than 20!!

I am working with real tests, kaplan mastery and Kaplan online help. any suggestions?

Thanks for all the previous advice [/color]
[/size]

Buy Powerscore logic games bible, get it shipped overnight. Do it twice. Then just take an assload of prep tests. You want to do the minimal work possible and that is it.

SJU2010

Postby SJU2010 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
SJU2010 wrote:

What do you guys think will I be able to attain a 160 within 20 days? [/color][/size]

Thanks! [/size]

[/size]

Buy Powerscore logic games bible, get it shipped overnight. Do it twice. Then just take an assload of prep tests. You want to do the minimal work possible and that is it.

Thanks will try.. How long does it take to read it?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:56 pm

SJU2010 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
SJU2010 wrote:

Thanks! [/size]

[/size]

Thanks will try.. How long will it take me to read through?

Ten hours maybe.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”