February retake for this admissions cycle

becauseimaddicted

February retake for this admissions cycle

Postby becauseimaddicted » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:28 pm

Not that I'm above starting a thread all about me and my problems, but it does seem like quite a few posters are in a similar situation to me and considering a February retake.

I took both the September and December tests (161 and 160, respectively) and am considering taking it again in February. I took a kaplan class (thumbs down) and had a private tutor (again, definitely not worth the money). My practice scores ranged from 164-173. Before the December test, I was scoring pretty consistently in the 168-170 range. I know I can do better than a 161. In fact, thats the score I started with when I took a cold diagnostic with kaplan. I think it was just nerves, both times. Like an hour before the December test, I started feeling kind of loopy and almost stoned. It was like a subconscious nerve attack. So frustrating.

I have a 3.63 from NYU undergrad, good letters of a recommendation, a decent resume (I'm interning at a government law agency as we speak), and what I've been told is a great personal statement. I originally set my sights on Georgetown, UCLA, USC, George Washington, but I came down to earth a little after the September LSAT. Now, I'm really just hoping to get into IU Bloomington and maybe William and Mary.

What do you guys think about taking a February test for this admissions cycle? Is it too late? Pointless? Will schools hold off on their decisions because I'm registered to take another test? I'm not going to apply to any T14 schools because I know I just don't have a shot in hell, but I presume I'll need a higher score than a 161 if I want to consider transferring after my 1L.

I've already been admitted into IU Indy, but I really don't want to go there. I don't have a pre-law advisor or anything and I don't know what I should do.

Okay, I guess I did make this thread all about me. Whoops. But who else is in my boat as far as contemplating a February retake?

lostone

Re: February retake for this admissions cycle

Postby lostone » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:28 pm

I'm in the same boat...got a 164 Dec and don't know what to do...To take the Feb LSAT ( for the 3rd time) or not?

Let me know if you get any solid advice.

thanks.
good luck.

llawguru

Postby llawguru » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:48 pm

bump

becauseimaddicted

Postby becauseimaddicted » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:04 pm

I decided to just bite the bullet and ask the admissions director. What can I say, I'm ballsy. This was her reply

Thanks for your continued interest in Indiana Law. I am happy to learn that our school is your first choice for beginning your legal career.

I am sorry you were not happy with your December test score. An additional test score will not hurt your chances of admission. I have taken a quick look at your application file and I would recommend taking the February exam. My opinion is that your application is on the edge and a few more pieces of information and a slightly higher test score could make the difference. I found your personal statement to be well written and fascinating, and your letters of recommendation very positive. I would spend plenty of time practicing test questions and try one more time.

If you do decide to take the test again, please let us know so that we may hold the file for the new score.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

I was pleasantly surprised she took the time to write such a nice email! I went ahead and registered for the test.

She didn't answer my question about whether my application packet would be viewed holistically or held until the file was complete (and the applicant pool was stronger) but I decided it was worth whatever risk. Plus, a higher score can only help if waitlisted, with financial aid/scholarships, etc.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:59 pm

Wow, that is an awesome reply. Be sure to send that person a quick thank-you email. Sounds as though it answers the important question, anyway, which is to retake or not to retake.

egilb

Postby egilb » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:04 pm

That is fantastic! I'm in the same boat--except I haven't submitted any apps yet. December was my first LSAT, and when my score was 12 pts lower than my PT average I signed up for February. I just assumed I'd have to wait for next cycle to apply. Could I feasibly submit now and be held until the Feb. LSAT? Or let's say I apply and am rejected to a school this cycle. What kind of an influence would this have on my app if I wanted to try again and reapply next year?

Don't worry, OP. I just made your thread all about me. :wink:

becauseimaddicted

Postby becauseimaddicted » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:18 pm

egilb wrote:That is fantastic! I'm in the same boat--except I haven't submitted any apps yet. December was my first LSAT, and when my score was 12 pts lower than my PT average I signed up for February. I just assumed I'd have to wait for next cycle to apply. Could I feasibly submit now and be held until the Feb. LSAT? Or let's say I apply and am rejected to a school this cycle. What kind of an influence would this have on my app if I wanted to try again and reapply next year?

Don't worry, OP. I just made your thread all about me. :wink:

We are a narcissistic bunch.

Most deadlines that I've seen are March 1st. If you have a reportable score, you could submit all your materials now and just let them know you are retaking the test. Your chances aren't as good as they would be in October or November, but if your numbers are high enough, it doesn't really matter. I applied in early December and I might end up with February crowd too if they wait for my new score to evaluate my application.

I think it depends where you want to apply and how good your qualifications are compared to their averages. And how badly you want to go next year, as opposed to waiting another year. Personally, I can't wait to go to law school and putting it off even longer sounds terrible. I'd rather go to a less prestigious school next year, but that's just me.

llawguru

Postby llawguru » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:14 am

bump

lawimbecile

Postby lawimbecile » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:28 am

retake in june. reapply to T14 next cycle.

/thread

jocelyne

Postby jocelyne » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:17 pm

Last edited by jocelyne on Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

firstcor1313

Postby firstcor1313 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:10 pm

Just keep in mind that when a school issues a decision, that is it. If you chose to put the application on hold until the Feb retake, you run the risk of waiting too long. Of course each school is different, but the ones I applied too all said to have everything in by January - any later and all the seats may be gone.
Last edited by firstcor1313 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:31 pm

I did this last cycle ... for all reaches, I went ahead and notified them of my intent to retake in Feb and to hold my file for further review ... seems to have worked out well.

hurricane12345

Postby hurricane12345 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:24 pm

Bump

Anyone retaking in Feb. for this cycle (2011-2012)? Are you having schools hold your file until the new score? Thoughts on whether this hurts admission chances by postponing your decisions so late?

abbottsbar

Postby abbottsbar » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:39 pm

hurricane12345 wrote:Bump

Anyone retaking in Feb. for this cycle (2011-2012)? Are you having schools hold your file until the new score? Thoughts on whether this hurts admission chances by postponing your decisions so late?

I'm in the same boat as some of the earlier posters in that my Dec. score was about 7 points below my PT average, so I 'm retaking in Feb. for this cycle.

I've spoken to a couple of the schools that I am applying to and they have relayed to me that it won't hurt me too terribly bad to hold my application until scores come in.

That said, I think that there is a certain disadvantage in that they will fill a lot of their seats before they get around to evaluating my application, but being a splitter I'm hoping that plays into my favor as my bad first round was still at their 75th percentile for LSAT.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”