George Washington Early Decision Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
hugoboss

New

George Washington Early Decision

Post by hugoboss » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:37 am

Hi everybody i'm new to the site, but have heard good things and hopefully somebody can answer my question.

I noticed on LSN that many people last year received the full tuition from GWU (i assume they applied early decision) but did not end up going there. Isn't that against the rule, because its a binding decision?
can you apply to an ED binding and not go if accepted?

CyLaw

Gold

Re: George Washington Early Decision

Post by CyLaw » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:08 pm

Only 2 or 3 on LSN received full ride ED offers.

All those $104k ones you see are not full ride offers, they are $30k a year tuition scholarship and free year of housing in the law school 1L dorm (which is worth about $14k).

Yes ED at GWU is binding.
No, if you are accepted under the ED program you may not withdraw to attend another school.
Many people last year were deferred to RD and then accepted RD the same day. They got their merit aid offers a month later.
Last edited by CyLaw on Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ritchie77

New

Post by ritchie77 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:09 pm

Hugo, I spoke w/ the Admissions office at GWU and if you apply you are in a binding contract to go there.

wired

Bronze

Post by wired » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:17 pm

CyLaw wrote:Only 2 or 3 on LSN received full ride ED offers.

All those $104k ones you see are not full ride offers, they are $30k a year tuition scholarship and free year of housing in the law school 1L dorm (which is worth about $14k).

Yes ED at GWU is binding.
No, if you are accepted under the ED program you may not withdraw to attend another school.
Many people last year were deferred to RD and then accepted RD the same day. They got their merit aid offers a month later.
CyLaw, I feel like I am competing against you for resident GW ED expert.

gwgirl

New

Post by gwgirl » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:52 pm

I'm trying to find the stats of the people last year who received the $104K deals (30/year and 14 for a year of housing)? I've been searching last year's forums but can't find the page. Can someone direct me to it? Sorry if it's obvious and I'm missing it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:07 pm

gwgirl wrote:I'm trying to find the stats of the people last year who received the $104K deals (30/year and 14 for a year of housing)? I've been searching last year's forums but can't find the page. Can someone direct me to it? Sorry if it's obvious and I'm missing it.
Did you check LSN? (lawschoolnumbers.com)

ewc227

New

Post by ewc227 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:59 pm

i just heard from gwu. i actually applied to their ED program, but got in through regular admission. i got the 105k, although there was nothing said about housing for the first year. it just says i get a guarantee 30k/ year, 15 per semester for 1L and at least that much if i maintain a 3.0. my stats were 3.83 and 167

ewc227

New

Post by ewc227 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:59 am

i lied about housing lol. i re-read the letter, mustve gotten so excited the first time around and completely missed it. it says

"in an effort to make your transition to studying and living in DC as smooth as possible, we are pleased to offer you housing in...Aston, for your first year of full time study... at no cost to you."

it does say regularly its suppose to be 14/yr for housing, specifically $7,725 although of course "the final cost is subject to change."

kickincane21

Bronze

Post by kickincane21 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:53 pm

So I applied ED and received a letter saying I was not accepted ED but was being considered for RD...did everyone who was deferred from ED get RD or were some people Rejected as well? Also I thought if you were chosen not to get ED and you were deferred they sent a new decision straight away...how long am I going to have to wait for another decision?

HooCavalier

New

Post by HooCavalier » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:46 pm

A good friend of mine got a $104k scholarship last year with a 3.45/168. (I mentioned this on another thread). This was $30k a year plus a $14k first year housing stiped, which was basically additional cash toward the first year's tuition for her. She did not get ED but was accepted RD the same day she found out she did not get ED. She found out about the scholarship a few weeks later.

She has to maintain a 3.0 to keep her scholarship, and she gets her first semester grades sometime today. Needless to say, she is a bit unnerved right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”