Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
let/them/eat/cake
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:12 pm

TruckerD wrote:
MTal wrote:I would love to respond to this in full right now, however, I am currently at work being payed to study for my series 7 and 63 licenses. I will get back to you at some later time.


I don't post much, but I do read a lot here, and it seems to me that someone who is supposedly "studying" on company time is definitely posting a lot of BS instead of answering a legitimate question someone asks you directly.

PS...it's "paid", not payed


and that's being played, not plaid.

KingJones
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:39 am

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Postby KingJones » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:14 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
TruckerD wrote:
MTal wrote:I would love to respond to this in full right now, however, I am currently at work being payed to study for my series 7 and 63 licenses. I will get back to you at some later time.


I don't post much, but I do read a lot here, and it seems to me that someone who is supposedly "studying" on company time is definitely posting a lot of BS instead of answering a legitimate question someone asks you directly.

PS...it's "paid", not payed


and that's being played, not plaid.


and that's being made, not mayed.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Postby Matthies » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:24 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Z3RO wrote:I'm glad that you help bring a dose of reality to TLS, but didn't you drop out of law school?

What reality are you especially privy to, other than that you couldn't hack it in LS? Why do you keep haunting this board just to troll 0L's?

broken_image



LOL I just spit soda all over my keyboard :lol:

User avatar
rGsgbJsl1
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:47 am

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Postby rGsgbJsl1 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:53 pm

Gaius wrote:JDU has somewhat of a point, but they go to far. In this market I think its really T14 or bust (or full ride at a T1 near where you want to live). It used to take Top 30% to get biglaw from regional T1s like Illinois, but now its 10%. Considering it probably costs 180K to attend, that isn't a good bet.

Even for a t14 you need to have a backup plan.

My backup plan in case I flame out of law school is: 1) high-school teacher or 2)military(not even JAG)

Both qualify for IBR public interest forgiveness. Not exactly high powered corporate law, but hey I can live with it.


ha, #2 is my back-up plan.

User avatar
SplitterPride
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:04 am

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Postby SplitterPride » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:05 pm

PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FROM JD UNDERGROUND AND TELL ME WHAT YOU SEE:


http://www.jdunderground.com/thread.php?threadId=39312

User avatar
rGsgbJsl1
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:47 am

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Postby rGsgbJsl1 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:32 pm

SplitterPride wrote:PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FROM JD UNDERGROUND AND TELL ME WHAT YOU SEE:


http://www.jdunderground.com/thread.php?threadId=39312


hahahaha
fucking idiot

katieg
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:37 pm

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Postby katieg » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:40 pm

SplitterPride wrote:PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FROM JD UNDERGROUND AND TELL ME WHAT YOU SEE:


http://www.jdunderground.com/thread.php?threadId=39312



WTF when I click on that link, the girl (Raegan?) from The Exorcist pops up on screen for like 3 seconds. Do I have a virus now or something?

User avatar
rGsgbJsl1
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:47 am

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Postby rGsgbJsl1 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:42 pm

katieg wrote:
SplitterPride wrote:PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FROM JD UNDERGROUND AND TELL ME WHAT YOU SEE:


http://www.jdunderground.com/thread.php?threadId=39312



WTF when I click on that link, the girl (Raegan?) from The Exorcist pops up on screen for like 3 seconds. Do I have a virus now or something?


nice one, you just ruined it for everyone else :roll:

KansasSplitter
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Postby KansasSplitter » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:07 pm

I would love to respond to this in full right now, however, I am currently at work being payed to study for my series 7 and 63 licenses. I will get back to you at some later time.



As an advisor at a top wirehouse firm, I love that you post this as if it makes you sound like some sort of badass. Make it through your company's asset accumulation hurdles, get off your sub-$40k training salary, pass your tests, and gather about $25 million dollars in annuitized assets during a bear market...then your job status won't be "joke of the office".

But it still won't be worth bragging about.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:21 pm

KansasSplitter wrote:
I would love to respond to this in full right now, however, I am currently at work being payed to study for my series 7 and 63 licenses. I will get back to you at some later time.



As an advisor at a top wirehouse firm, I love that you post this as if it makes you sound like some sort of badass. Make it through your company's asset accumulation hurdles, get off your sub-$40k training salary, pass your tests, and gather about $25 million dollars in annuitized assets during a bear market...then your job status won't be "joke of the office".

But it still won't be worth bragging about.


whats a wirehouse firm?

KansasSplitter
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Postby KansasSplitter » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:26 pm

JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch, Smith Barney, and what's left of Lehman Brothers are generally considered the major wirehouses in the U.S.

User avatar
Philo38
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Postby Philo38 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:10 pm

MTal wrote:
musiclaw23 wrote:
Philo38 wrote:
showNprove wrote:Actually, the poster from JD Underground probably isn't far off. From examining schools' reputations and their placement records, I put the ceiling at about T40, rather than T30. I'm of the opinion that it's not worth to go to law school outside the T40 (give or take) without some scholarship unless being an attorney is your sole desire in life.

Then again, if that sole desire is to be a biglaw attorney, and you can't crack T40, you might as well quit while you're (financially) ahead.


You really have to consider the future though. The JD could prove to be a very very valuable degree in a world where more and more people have BAs or BSs. I'm of the opinion that most of the people like the posters on JD underground actually are losers. Not because they are unable to hack it in the legal market, but because seeing that they have a distaste for law firms, they failed to figure out how they can otherwise utilize or market themselves.

My father does have any degree and I've never heard him wine like they do. The fact is he is capable of being successful and he is because he worked his ass off and they could be as well. <b>They probably all went to law school thinking a JD is a guaranteed free ticket to a good job</b> no matter how lazy/stupid they are. Woops.


Although I probably wouldn't have been quite so harsh, TITCR.


I can't wait until the reality of life smacks you two idiots in the face. When you are young, you perceive yourself as indestructable...nothing bad can happen as long as you "work hard" (as if 99 % of the people in law school don't work hard). I guess some things you just have to experience before you can understand them.


99% of people in law school work hard? Which of us is naive? Jesus.

Even if that is true, that would mean that all of the people who are in the bottom 30% of their classes are there despite hard work. that's why I said lazy/stupid . . . I think this would cover the stupid side of that no?

. . . which side do you fall on?

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Postby MTal » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:00 pm

KansasSplitter wrote:
I would love to respond to this in full right now, however, I am currently at work being payed to study for my series 7 and 63 licenses. I will get back to you at some later time.



As an advisor at a top wirehouse firm, I love that you post this as if it makes you sound like some sort of badass. Make it through your company's asset accumulation hurdles, get off your sub-$40k training salary, pass your tests, and gather about $25 million dollars in annuitized assets during a bear market...then your job status won't be "joke of the office".

But it still won't be worth bragging about.


Way to go dude. It takes a big man to make fun of someone for starting a job with a low salary...go YOU!

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:07 pm

MTal wrote:
KansasSplitter wrote:
I would love to respond to this in full right now, however, I am currently at work being payed to study for my series 7 and 63 licenses. I will get back to you at some later time.



As an advisor at a top wirehouse firm, I love that you post this as if it makes you sound like some sort of badass. Make it through your company's asset accumulation hurdles, get off your sub-$40k training salary, pass your tests, and gather about $25 million dollars in annuitized assets during a bear market...then your job status won't be "joke of the office".

But it still won't be worth bragging about.


Way to go dude. It takes a big man to make fun of someone for starting a job with a low salary...go YOU!

I think he was making fun of your perceived self-importance. Given, that you apparently had the time to get back to KansasSplitter's post and to call two other posters idiots, you also probably had time to formulate an answer as to why, as a law school dropout, you would know more about the legal market than everyone else on TLS.

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Postby MTal » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:25 pm

YCrevolution wrote:I think he was making fun of your perceived self-importance. Given, that you apparently had the time to get back to KansasSplitter's post and to call two other posters idiots, you also probably had time to formulate an answer as to why, as a law school dropout, you would know more about the legal market than everyone else on TLS.


Oh the irony of an internet moderator (particularly one who bans and locks threads at the drop of a hat) accusing others of having a "perceived sense of self-importance".

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:29 pm

MTal wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:I think he was making fun of your perceived self-importance. Given, that you apparently had the time to get back to KansasSplitter's post and to call two other posters idiots, you also probably had time to formulate an answer as to why, as a law school dropout, you would know more about the legal market than everyone else on TLS.


Oh the irony of an internet moderator (particularly one who bans and locks threads at the drop of a hat) accusing others of having a "perceived sense of self-importance".

I have never claimed not to have an inflated sense of self-importance. Also, you still haven't answered Z3RO's question, and if you can't get back on-topic, I suggest you stop posting in this thread.

User avatar
soullogical
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:45 am

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Postby soullogical » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:14 pm

KansasSplitter wrote:
I would love to respond to this in full right now, however, I am currently at work being payed to study for my series 7 and 63 licenses. I will get back to you at some later time.



As an advisor at a top wirehouse firm, I love that you post this as if it makes you sound like some sort of badass. Make it through your company's asset accumulation hurdles, get off your sub-$40k training salary, pass your tests, and gather about $25 million dollars in annuitized assets during a bear market...then your job status won't be "joke of the office".

But it still won't be worth bragging about.



Agreed..Just left this industry, I spent 5 years in various positions...it's the worst possible time to enter. Hope you pass your tests though, most firms will fire you if you fail. Nice way to spend 6 hrs, at least you know your results immediately.

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Postby MTal » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:26 pm

you also probably had time to formulate an answer as to why, as a law school dropout, you would know more about the legal market than everyone else on TLS.


Um, wouldn't it stand to reason that a person who has applied to law school and completed their first year know more about the current job market than a bunch of 1L's and especially 0L's who are just getting started in the process? The fact is that a good many people here are extremely deluded (often willfully so) about the realities of law school and the consequences of going over a HUNDRED thousand dollars in debt.

Zero asked why a law school drop out still posts here. To me, this is like saying you have to be a politician in order to be interested in politics. I have many reasons for coming back to this board, reading posts, and commenting. One is that it helps validate my decision to not come back. After reading some of the posts about the job market and the trouble recent grads are having, it only confirmed what I have suspected.

I also have other reasons which I don't care to go into at this time.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:31 pm

I come for the lunch buffet. It’s stellar.

On a serious note, I think that attacking someone on the grounds that 'they don't belong' on an internet forum is basically retarded. Anyone can navigate here, sign up and post away.

MTaL, like him or not, brings something to the table, i.e. the LS drop-out who saw the game from the inside (albeit a very brief time), and decided he wanted out. That’s a valuable resource to have to some extent. It takes balls to walk away from LS, because anyone you talk to will say, "stick it out, its models and bottles when you're done."

I am criticized on here left and right for being an attorney and posting here. I've been told:

- You must be a loser; otherwise you wouldn't have time to post here
- You only work in midlaw, not biglaw, thus you're TTT and have nothing to contribute
- you're a know-it-all and shouldn't 'beat up' on 0Ls (which I don't think I do, but I digress)

Even with that, every once in a while I get to dispense some useful advice or can answer a PM from someone with a specific question and so I stick around. But long story short, every time you make a non-traditional poster feel unwelcome, simply to make yourself feel better about your own position/opinion you hurt the collective value of TLS.
Last edited by reasonable_man on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:50 pm

reasonable_man wrote:I come for the lunch buffet. It’s stellar.

On a serious note, I think that attacking someone on the grounds that 'they don't belong' on an internet forum is basically retarded. Anyone can navigate here, sign up and post away.

MTaL, like him or not, brings something to the table, i.e. the LS drop-out who saw the game from the inside (albeit a very brief time), and decided he wanted out. That’s a valuable resource to have to some extent. It takes balls to walk away from LS, because anyone you talk to will say, "stick it out, its models and bottles when you're done."

I am criticized on here left and right for being an attorney and posting here. I've been told:

- You must be a loser; otherwise you wouldn't have time to post here
- You only work in midlaw, not biglaw, thus you're TTT and have nothing to contribute
- you're a know-it-all and shouldn't 'beat up' on 0Ls (which I don't think I do, but I digress)

Even with that, every once in a while I get to dispense some useful advice or can answer a PM from someone with a specific question and so I stick around. But long story short, every time you make a non-traditional poster feel unwelcome, simply to make yourself feel better about your own position/opinion


I don't have a problem with a law school drop out coming and posting on here. There are posters on here who decided just not to go to law school at all. That's fine if they want to stick around. But MTal's tone is bitter, insulting, and defeatist to the point where he turns basically everybody against him. I don't really see him contributing anything other than cliched warnings of doom and gloom because it didn't work out for him. He's said himself many times that such warnings are useless here, so maybe I'm missing his objective.

User avatar
TruckerD
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Postby TruckerD » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:55 pm

reasonable_man wrote:I come for the lunch buffet. It’s stellar.

On a serious note, I think that attacking someone on the grounds that 'they don't belong' on an internet forum is basically retarded. Anyone can navigate here, sign up and post away.

MTaL, like him or not, brings something to the table, i.e. the LS drop-out who saw the game from the inside (albeit a very brief time), and decided he wanted out. That’s a valuable resource to have to some extent. It takes balls to walk away from LS, because anyone you talk to will say, "stick it out, its models and bottles when you're done."

I am criticized on here left and right for being an attorney and posting here. I've been told:

- You must be a loser; otherwise you wouldn't have time to post here
- You only work in midlaw, not biglaw, thus you're TTT and have nothing to contribute
- you're a know-it-all and shouldn't 'beat up' on 0Ls (which I don't think I do, but I digress)

Even with that, every once in a while I get to dispense some useful advice or can answer a PM from someone with a specific question and so I stick around. But long story short, every time you make a non-traditional poster feel unwelcome, simply to make yourself feel better about your own position/opinion


I have no problem with someone who has been there, done that, even if it was a negative experience. I DO have a problem however with someone who comes on, trash talk others, and at the same time won't explain why we should listen to him. He has been asked by ZERO and others, and has failed to respond. He evades the question and goes on to trash talk others.

I welcome yours and his advice on my upcoming journey. I know I don't know everything (and sometimes anything) about pursuing a law career, and listening to peoples experiences helps me understand what is to come. Just don't come on here talking shit, and then expect us to believe anything you say, or accept any advice you give. (That was in general, not directed towards you personally)

Damn! Helmholtz beat me to it! Well said, man!

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Postby keg411 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:38 pm

reasonable_man wrote:I come for the lunch buffet. It’s stellar.

On a serious note, I think that attacking someone on the grounds that 'they don't belong' on an internet forum is basically retarded. Anyone can navigate here, sign up and post away.

MTaL, like him or not, brings something to the table, i.e. the LS drop-out who saw the game from the inside (albeit a very brief time), and decided he wanted out. That’s a valuable resource to have to some extent. It takes balls to walk away from LS, because anyone you talk to will say, "stick it out, its models and bottles when you're done."

I am criticized on here left and right for being an attorney and posting here. I've been told:

- You must be a loser; otherwise you wouldn't have time to post here
- You only work in midlaw, not biglaw, thus you're TTT and have nothing to contribute
- you're a know-it-all and shouldn't 'beat up' on 0Ls (which I don't think I do, but I digress)

Even with that, every once in a while I get to dispense some useful advice or can answer a PM from someone with a specific question and so I stick around. But long story short, every time you make a non-traditional poster feel unwelcome, simply to make yourself feel better about your own position/opinion


I still like you, RM :).

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Postby 06072010 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:17 pm

reasonable_man wrote:I come for the lunch buffet. It’s stellar.

On a serious note, I think that attacking someone on the grounds that 'they don't belong' on an internet forum is basically retarded. Anyone can navigate here, sign up and post away.

MTaL, like him or not, brings something to the table, i.e. the LS drop-out who saw the game from the inside (albeit a very brief time), and decided he wanted out. That’s a valuable resource to have to some extent. It takes balls to walk away from LS, because anyone you talk to will say, "stick it out, its models and bottles when you're done."

I am criticized on here left and right for being an attorney and posting here. I've been told:

- You must be a loser; otherwise you wouldn't have time to post here
- You only work in midlaw, not biglaw, thus you're TTT and have nothing to contribute
- you're a know-it-all and shouldn't 'beat up' on 0Ls (which I don't think I do, but I digress)

Even with that, every once in a while I get to dispense some useful advice or can answer a PM from someone with a specific question and so I stick around. But long story short, every time you make a non-traditional poster feel unwelcome, simply to make yourself feel better about your own position/opinion you hurt the collective value of TLS.


But Mtal is pretty much a douche about it. And you're not.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:29 pm

PKSebben wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:I come for the lunch buffet. It’s stellar.

On a serious note, I think that attacking someone on the grounds that 'they don't belong' on an internet forum is basically retarded. Anyone can navigate here, sign up and post away.

MTaL, like him or not, brings something to the table, i.e. the LS drop-out who saw the game from the inside (albeit a very brief time), and decided he wanted out. That’s a valuable resource to have to some extent. It takes balls to walk away from LS, because anyone you talk to will say, "stick it out, its models and bottles when you're done."

I am criticized on here left and right for being an attorney and posting here. I've been told:

- You must be a loser; otherwise you wouldn't have time to post here
- You only work in midlaw, not biglaw, thus you're TTT and have nothing to contribute
- you're a know-it-all and shouldn't 'beat up' on 0Ls (which I don't think I do, but I digress)

Even with that, every once in a while I get to dispense some useful advice or can answer a PM from someone with a specific question and so I stick around. But long story short, every time you make a non-traditional poster feel unwelcome, simply to make yourself feel better about your own position/opinion you hurt the collective value of TLS.


But Mtal is pretty much a douche about it. And you're not.


Well, I can't really argue that. I think Mtal knows he is being a douche though, so I doub't he would be to upset by that. On that note.. it's 11:43, I'm leaving my office.. finally and will be up by 6am for court tomorrow.. Welcome to the profession everyone! ;)

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Postby Matthies » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:09 am

MTal wrote:
you also probably had time to formulate an answer as to why, as a law school dropout, you would know more about the legal market than everyone else on TLS.


Um, wouldn't it stand to reason that a person who has applied to law school and completed their first year know more about the current job market than a bunch of 1L's and especially 0L's who are just getting started in the process? The fact is that a good many people here are extremely deluded (often willfully so) about the realities of law school and the consequences of going over a HUNDRED thousand dollars in debt.



Hell most 2Ls and 3Ls don’t know much about the real job market outside OCI. I have no problem with you posting, but some of what you say is just repeating the misinformation that 0L’s do. None of us are experts here and everyone’s situation is going to be unique to the school they got to, the market they are looking in the strategies they take in finding a job. The best anyone can do, I think, is speak to their personal experience as it related to them in hope that might help others, rather than just making blanket generalizations that all law students at every school are going to have X results.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apricots and 2 guests