Lets Say You Don't Get In LS this Cycle, What Would You Do?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
xcountryjunkie

Re: Lets Say You Don't Get In LS this Cycle, What Would You Do?

Postby xcountryjunkie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:21 pm

I didn't apply to any safeties, so there is definitely a chance of this for me. I'm currently in UG and will just look for a job for 12 months and apply again the day the application process opens. However, that whole "finding a job" thing may be tricky ITE...

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:58 pm

I feel for you man. But if it's any comfort, know that law students have had a brutal time finding jobs as well. Because so many lawyers were laid off, and so many from classes of 2009--2011 (and possibly 2012) will graduate with no jobs, it will take years and years for the market to balance out, if it does.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:00 pm

Wilderness firefighter

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:10 pm

Wilderness arson

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:35 pm

Not worry. Far too many people think that their lives are over if they dont get into law school. Honestly, things happen for a reason and if you dont get into law school then its probably for the best. If something is going to happen, its going to happen. Now if you you're someone that had good stats and only applied to T14 and didnt get in, then thats your problem. Gotta apply to other schools. Its really not T14 or bust like so many people say. But I do believe one needs to stay in tier 1 to have a shot at a good job.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:59 am

I will get a MS at my school under a graduate assistantship while continuing working and retake the lsat and reapply in sept. Hopefully I get in though. I don't want to attend safeties even with a full scholly so I didn't apply to any.

scooter629

Postby scooter629 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:28 am

Get a job or travel, the market sucks. Take a review for med school then have fun with MCAT after go to med school and not hate myself for going through the torture of a Science degree

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:58 am

ya if you can't get into a t30 or so in this econ (and even that seems questionable), you might want to decide if this is really something you want to do.

Alternative--go to a ttt in an amazing area, work a very mediocre job if you can get one, and never leave

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:07 pm

I am taking paralegal courses toward a certificate and interning. I also plan on taking the LSAT until I get a high score and keep motivated.

Also maybe find a job. Its bloody hard to do so in this economy with a degree in English and History.

Cestjustemoi

Postby Cestjustemoi » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:11 pm

imisscollege wrote:ya if you can't get into a t30 or so in this econ (and even that seems questionable), you might want to decide if this is really something you want to do.

Alternative--go to a ttt in an amazing area, work a very mediocre job if you can get one, and never leave

Side note top 30 is not the end all be all. For instance you can very succesful and have gone to a lower ranked school, in Florida it is unlikely a unc or Bama alum or many others in those rankings would get the job over UF FSU or Miami alum. Just keep in mind your school name and ranking will not inherently make you successful. If I hadn't of gotten into law school I would have gotten my MS in Accounting and sat for the CPA and reapplied to law school, no biggie. Law school isn't going anywhere and you can make a decent living in public accounting.

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:31 pm

This is very true. Very Very True. It all depends on where you end up practicing. I have come to learn that Miami's legal market is full of people that went to TT and TTT and even TTTT. There is no "elite" law school in Miami. The University of Miami is the best school in Miami and even saying that is a joke since it is ranked in the 70's.

A lot of the top attorney's here went to St. Thomas, UM, Nova, etc and they are all doing very well. So I think its all about finding a market that isnt over saturated with schools. Unfortunately, those markets tend to be the best and therefore most attractive ones.

narkizopoint

Postby narkizopoint » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:35 pm

I would do the same thing I did last year, retake LSAT apply earlier...

Wash, rinse, repeat until desired results...

Rednorthstar

Postby Rednorthstar » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:11 pm

I'd do what I was thinking of doing in the first place. And I may have to do it as my GPA and LSAT aren't doing me any favors. Retake the LSAT and reapply for 2011. I'd be doing that now except I'm 28 years old and don't want to waste any more of my lifeif I don't have to, and I don't need T14 or even T50 since I have no desire to practice BIGLAW. Hell I don't want to practice law in the city period. So while I'd like to smoke the LSAT and get a 170+, it isn't really necessary for what I want to do.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:10 pm

Rednorthstar wrote:I'd do what I was thinking of doing in the first place. And I may have to do it as my GPA and LSAT aren't doing me any favors. Retake the LSAT and reapply for 2011. I'd be doing that now except I'm 28 years old and don't want to waste any more of my lifeif I don't have to, and I don't need T14 or even T50 since I have no desire to practice BIGLAW. Hell I don't want to practice law in the city period. So while I'd like to smoke the LSAT and get a 170+, it isn't really necessary for what I want to do.

Well then do something that isn't a "waste" of your life. The older you are the less willing you should be to settle for a school because you can't get into your goal school. Spending 3 years and lots of $$ to not get the edcuation and opportunities you are looking for is more of a waste. I am 33, and it is imperative for me get into the schools that I need to get into to better serve my career goals.

Rednorthstar

Postby Rednorthstar » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:41 pm

Thing is I'd be happy to go to Widener. I have no plans on plans on leaving the DE/southern PA area, and most of the lawyers I've met have all gone there and they almost all are doing very well for themselves. Doesn't hurt that Widener is the only LS in DE. I have no plans in working in Philly, and while I'd love to go to Penn State or Villanova, it isn't worth it for me to wait another year to try to get in there, especially when jobs opportunities here are simply stupidly nonexistant. And my volunteer work which is meanful to me doesn't pay too many bills.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:53 pm

If you are from DE then Widener would be a great choice. This is one school that ranking doesn't do it justice. I don't know too many PA grads would want to work in DE other than Wilmington. You probably wouldn't have too much problem with getting in since you are resident, having volunteer experience in state, have a desire to stay in state? Make sure you express that fully I am sure you will get a great consideration. My bro in law is considering going to Widener too (he is Widener UG grad. He wants to do local PI stuff and maybe work for the county DA, I think it would work out fine for him. Good luck, hope you get in and get some $$. You will be so much more competitive than all the other younger applicants. I am going to school up the 202 a few minutes away and you should be able to stand out against those who are applying to Widener from my school :)

Rednorthstar

Postby Rednorthstar » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:29 pm

Thanks bro! To be honest though I live in PA about 20 minutes from the school, though I've lived in DE for a couple of year not too long ago and I do intend on staying in DE, not necessarily Wilmington either. I'm thinking Newark, where I've built up a lot of my connections.

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:58 pm

Rednorthstar wrote:Thanks bro! To be honest though I live in PA about 20 minutes from the school, though I've lived in DE for a couple of year not too long ago and I do intend on staying in DE, not necessarily Wilmington either. I'm thinking Newark, where I've built up a lot of my connections.

My 'fightin' blue hen' sense is tingling

Rednorthstar

Postby Rednorthstar » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:01 am

^ I took a fistful of courses for fun there while I was on a personal leave. Two states to the west my friend.

the_rad_trad

Postby the_rad_trad » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:39 pm

I wasn't so worried about this happening until reading some posts (from students with WAY better numbers than I have) about rejections from schools that I've applied to. I'd either live in Paris working for a law firm over there for a year, retake the LSAT, and reapply, or I'd go to design school for Fashion Design, then reapply to law school after that.

Clearly I'm hell bent on going to law school. :D

aleighp

Postby aleighp » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:20 am

Looks like I am for sure not going to get in this round - denied at 2 of the 3 schools, on the wait list at the other. SO. My new plan is to study my ass off all summer for the fall LSAT. I only had two months to study for the December test, so I am hoping to get a WAY better score since I'll have like 6 months to study. I'll then re-apply to all of the same state schools & cross my fingers that I get in and get scholarship cash.

I'm going to continue at my no-brain job that pays relatively well, rock climb, camp and take advantage of all that the great outdoors in Colorado has to offer. I joined a book club. I'm going to garden. Visit with friends. Have BBQs. Hopefully go on vacation. Just enjoy the summer - and study for the LSAT.

You know, I actually wasn't as depressed as I thought I would be after getting my rejections. It was literally only for the evening the day I got my last rejection letter. Like someone else said, if it's not meant to be, well it's not, and it's not the end of the world. So no jumping off the Empire State building for me :lol:

kevin261186

Postby kevin261186 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:23 am

move home to Scotland.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:37 am

Unemployed wrote:
SteelReserve wrote:If you didn't get into a law school, it probably means you would have no scholarship at even a mediocre school. If that's the case, count your blessings that you didn't get in and be forced to live a life of debt servitude. Seriously, praise whatever God/spirit/nothing you worship and move on with your life. If you re-apply with your mediocre LSAT score, please register on JDUnderground now.

Beat me to it.

This is the absolute right answer. Bad schools suck and chances are your professional life with suck as a result. If you get shut out then all you're avoiding is likely awful outcomes.

OmbreGracieuse

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:59 pm

lawlover829 wrote:if this happened to me, I would be suicidal.

For your sake then, I hope you DO get into LS this cycle.

OmbreGracieuse

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:09 pm

I am applying for the cycle beginning this September. If I do not get in anywhere... I would probably cry, find a semi-decent paying job using my UG degree (criminal justice- hey! I could tase people for a living, now that's a thought...), and work on paying some of my back student bills. I might move in with my parents who live in the other side of the country, and just focus on bills, bills, bills. It would give me money to save for the next cycle. I might even consider going back and getting a 2nd degree from my UG school to bring up my GPA, and would retake the LSATs.

Return to “Law School FAQ”