How old will you be when you enter law school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

How old will you be when you enter law school?

0%
1%
8%
19%
23-24
27%
25-26
18%
7%
28-30
10%
over 30
8%
over 40
2%

Total votes: 1548

PunjabiLower

Re: How old will you be when you enter law school?

Postby PunjabiLower » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:44 pm

biv0ns wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote: 25-26 years old. Just seems way too old.

which is what makes you immature. how 26 is "too old" in any way is beyond me

Personal opinion. This isn't business school where you need 3-4 years of work experience. Graduate college at 21. Get 1 years work experience. Enter law school at 22-23. Why anybody is taking more than 2 years of is beyond me(excluding extreme cases). Seeing a 27 year old is just a bit funny to me, that's all.

jsoell

Postby jsoell » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:47 pm

That's 28. PL. Don't steal my hard-earned years from me.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:48 pm

jsoell wrote:I'll be 28, which makes me really really old compared to PL. He's (assuming poster is a he) really enjoying this age stuff, so let's just move on. He's young. We're older. He has life experiences we don't have. We have life experiences he doesn't have. Yada yada yada.

I totally agree. But what kind of life experiences are we talking about here? I'm just curious as to the difference between 1-2 years off and 3+ years off between college and law school. I guess I'm trying to understand the benefits of going to law school after 27 as opposed to 21-23. Are they really worth taking 4+ years off? When the time law school and OCI comes around, it's easy to shape up and put on a show.
Last edited by PunjabiLower on Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:49 pm

jsoell wrote:That's 28. PL. Don't steal my hard-earned years from me.

Can I ask exactly what you did from 21-28 years old?

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:03 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:
biv0ns wrote:

Personal opinion. This isn't business school where you need 3-4 years of work experience. Graduate college at 21. Get 1 years work experience. Enter law school at 22-23. Why anybody is taking more than 2 years of is beyond me(excluding extreme cases). Seeing a 27 year old is just a bit funny to me, that's all.

Well, when you get to law school you will "see" many 27 year olds, and you will be surprised to find that they are not really any different that 23 year olds, except that they have probably worked a couple more years and/or have graduate degrees. I still haven't figured out how old you actually are, but it seems like you have this perception that people in their mid to late 20s are middle age and should be taking their kids to soccer practice and driving minivans, not going to law school. I'm not sure when the last time was I thought mid 20s was old, probably around 8th grade.

Anyway, I will be 26 when I start law school. I have been out of UG for four years, in that time I have gotten a master's degree, gotten married, decided I want to go to law school, and I will have worked for two years. My wife and I will also be having a baby sometime in the next week or two, which I'm sure makes you think I sound really old.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:05 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:
biv0ns wrote:

I came to college at 19 (august birthday), will have spent 5 years by the time I graduate (major, minor, plus a semester off for sickness), and will be going into law school at 24. I don't see how this is in any way "abnormal." Maybe I shouldn't have bothered with a minor and not gotten sick and went a year before at 23?

schmohawk

Postby schmohawk » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:07 pm

Last edited by schmohawk on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:10 pm

biv0ns wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:
biv0ns wrote:

I came to college at 19 (august birthday), will have spent 5 years by the time I graduate (major, minor, plus a semester off for sickness), and will be going into law school at 24. I don't see how this is in any way "abnormal." Maybe I shouldn't have bothered with a minor and not gotten sick and went a year before at 23?

You also should have started college at 18, now you are doomed to starting your career at 27 and retiring at 57 instead of 55.

jsoell

Postby jsoell » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:18 pm

PL - I pm'd you my response to what I've been doing. The short answer is that I've been working and am now getting my Master's degree. I've loved working, but I have several friends who went straight into law school and are not happily practicing in their second, third, or fourth years.

I know some folks probably consider it a waste of time not to go straight to law school, but I've liked everywhere I've been and everyone I've met, so the fact that my path is going to lead to law school a little later is ok by me.

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:30 am

PunjabiLower wrote:Ouch you're 27 years old?

That means you'll get out at like 30.

That's like the age doctors start working after 6 years of med school and some years in residency...AHHA damn I feel bad for you.

thats, like, really, like, good math. like.

kcg171

Postby kcg171 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:41 am

PunjabiLower wrote:Ouch you're 27 years old?

That means you'll get out at like 30.

That's like the age doctors start working after 6 years of med school and some years in residency...AHHA damn I feel bad for you.

And you, PL, don't have a dog.

Please, don't rush out and buy a dog just to compete with us and to be able to tell us that you house trained it in 2 weeks and went through the 6-week puppy class in 1 week. Having a dog is just something that comes with age. We're 23-27; we need to be ready for when our spouses die and our children leave the home.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:15 pm

I'm trying to spend as few years of my 20's in "school" as I can. Personal preference. I also can't see myself taking a 2 year gap or more from college and then going back to school.

Ragnar

Postby Ragnar » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:24 pm

jcl2 wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:
biv0ns wrote:

Well, when you get to law school you will "see" many 27 year olds, and you will be surprised to find that they are not really any different that 23 year olds, except that they have probably worked a couple more years and/or have graduate degrees. I still haven't figured out how old you actually are, but it seems like you have this perception that people in their mid to late 20s are middle age and should be taking their kids to soccer practice and driving minivans, not going to law school. I'm not sure when the last time was I thought mid 20s was old, probably around 8th grade.

Anyway, I will be 26 when I start law school. I have been out of UG for four years, in that time I have gotten a master's degree, gotten married, decided I want to go to law school, and I will have worked for two years. My wife and I will also be having a baby sometime in the next week or two, which I'm sure makes you think I sound really old.

Congrats on the baby, man. I seem to be in the majority when it comes to age entering law school, but I too am married and finishing up my master's. We're planning on having our first sometime in my second semester of law school. So I feel more like a late 20's kind of guy. We don't stay out all night and we don't drink that much. Plus we live on meager salaries so we don't really party like it's 1999. We're probably more like a 65 year old couple than college students.

Seriously though, congrats on the baby. I know it is exciting. Let me know how it goes balancing being a new father and a law student. You may want to talk me out of it before we start trying.

TheElyrian

Postby TheElyrian » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:55 pm

If I go I'll be 35 when I start. I'm finally getting my bachelor's at 34.

Guess how old I'd be right now if I wasn't in school?

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:57 pm

Man you people are old. I'll be 22 with 1 year WE. Aren't there a lot of people who go out of UG?

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:44 am

shadowfrost000 wrote:Man you people are old. I'll be 22 with 1 year WE. Aren't there a lot of people who go out of UG?

TITCR

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:43 am

PunjabiLower wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:Man you people are old. I'll be 22 with 1 year WE. Aren't there a lot of people who go out of UG?

TITCR

Actually it's not the correct response. People that go straight out of undergrad are the minority (like 30%). Most of the T14 schools say they prefer an applicant to have some life experiences outside of school, and the median age at most law schools is 24-25.

joshikousei

Postby joshikousei » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:07 am

VoidSix wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:

TITCR

Actually it's not the correct response. People that go straight out of undergrad are the minority (like 30%). Most of the T14 schools say they prefer an applicant to have some life experiences outside of school, and the median age at most law schools is 24-25.

+1. i'll be 24 or 25 if i decide to defer (again).

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:40 am

VoidSix wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:

TITCR

I should have clarified. I was referring to his first sentence as the correct response.

tebow4president

Postby tebow4president » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:50 am

I think the most ironic thing going on here is how PunjabiLower seems to think he is at some sort of advantage, when it is clear to all observers that he has a lonnng way to go in terms of being a worthy applicant. The people hiring are going to pick a mature person above the age of 26 or whatever 10 out of 10 times over a 23 year old with his attitude. He is not merely the exception to the rule, he is the exception that proves the rule.

mikeyp

Postby mikeyp » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:40 am

most people do not go straight out of undergrad. i guess it depends on the school, but that's generally the rule.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:02 pm

I think the real moral of this thread is that Punjabi is way too young, not to mention immature, not that the majority of us are "old"

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:48 pm

Another old guy checking in at 32 :)

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:48 pm

biv0ns wrote:I think the real moral of this thread is that Punjabi is way too young, not to mention immature, not that the majority of us are "old"

That's exactly what I would expect a totally old person to say.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:53 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
biv0ns wrote:I think the real moral of this thread is that Punjabi is way too young, not to mention immature, not that the majority of us are "old"

That's exactly what I would expect a totally old person to say.

:mrgreen: :roll: I agree with Biv0ns and this guy, even though Tim Tebow sucks.

tebow4president wrote:I think the most ironic thing going on here is how PunjabiLower seems to think he is at some sort of advantage, when it is clear to all observers that he has a lonnng way to go in terms of being a worthy applicant. The people hiring are going to pick a mature person above the age of 26 or whatever 10 out of 10 times over a 23 year old with his attitude. He is not merely the exception to the rule, he is the exception that proves the rule.

Return to “Law School FAQ”