How old will you be when you enter law school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

How old will you be when you enter law school?

0%
1%
8%
19%
23-24
27%
25-26
18%
7%
28-30
10%
over 30
8%
over 40
2%

Total votes: 1548

kcg171

Re: How old will you be when you enter law school?

Postby kcg171 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:50 pm

laidoffjournalist wrote:I'll be 26, unless I delay in hopes of doing better on the LSAT. Then I'll be 27. Sigh. I feel so fucking old right now. Knowing I might graduate law school when I am 30 depresses me. Where did my youth go?! Why did I waste it?! I'm so old. I need to get married and get a dog.

I'll be 27 :evil: but I have a dog, so I guess I'm ahead of you.

Bruiser

Postby Bruiser » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:16 pm

If all goes as planned, I'll be 41. I was going to start in 2010 but I need to complete my M.Ed in leadership so I can get an administrative job in case I can't find a law job. Plus, its helpful to wait until my son starts driving.

rotiprata

Postby rotiprata » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:00 pm

Assuming I don't totally flunk the LSAT again in December or find something better to do with my life, I'll be 20 and unable to drink until winter.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:18 pm

26, which is the perfect age, since any of the years 22-25 would have been pretty poor timing given how things have gone with the economy lately. I guess things could stay bad, but at least those of us starting law school next year know that, unlike the classes of 2009-2011 who all went in banking on big law jobs being handed to them for finishing median at a T25 or bottom 25% at a T14.

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:20 pm

kcg171 wrote:
laidoffjournalist wrote:I'll be 26, unless I delay in hopes of doing better on the LSAT. Then I'll be 27. Sigh. I feel so fucking old right now. Knowing I might graduate law school when I am 30 depresses me. Where did my youth go?! Why did I waste it?! I'm so old. I need to get married and get a dog.

I'll be either almost 25 or just turning 25. But I have 2 dogs, so am I ahead or are you ahead?

kcg171

Postby kcg171 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:55 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
kcg171 wrote:

I'll be either almost 25 or just turning 25. But I have 2 dogs, so am I ahead or are you ahead?

I am. Definitely.

rquan1201

Postby rquan1201 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:42 pm

20 still, turning 21 december 1.

DannyJames

Postby DannyJames » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:03 pm

i will have just turned 26, and i have a BULLDOG...so i win!

laidoffjournalist

Postby laidoffjournalist » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:19 pm

Fuck all you people with dogs! :P
Last edited by laidoffjournalist on Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:22 pm

I'll be 24, and Huskies are the best

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:43 pm

lol wow i'm about 5 years younger than everyone here

I guess I planned my shit early

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:04 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:lol wow i'm about 5 years younger than everyone here

If you are that young (18?,19?), then your parents "planned your shit early." I spent my early 20s in college and working, as most people do, and had relatively few responsibilities; it was a great time and I gained some life experience that I can't imagine going into law school without. If I were you, I would take some time off, enjoy being 18-22 and think about whether you even want to be a lawyer, I can't imagine being sure about that at your age and you should have lots of options since you obviously have done very well academically. Just my opinions, obviously, but I don't see any advantage to starting law school so young.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:09 pm

jcl2 wrote:

If you are that young (18?,19?), then your parents "planned your shit early." I spent my early 20s in college and working, as most people do, and had relatively few responsibilities; it was a great time and I gained some life experience that I can't imagine going into law school without. If I were you, I would take some time off, enjoy being 18-22 and think about whether you even want to be a lawyer, I can't imagine being sure about that at your age and you should have lots of options since you obviously have done very well academically. Just my opinions, obviously, but I don't see any advantage to starting law school so young.

False assumptions for the win. Nope my parents don't know what I'm doing. They let me do my own thing. They made sure I didn't skip any grades from K-12. As soon as I got to college, I made my own decisions and decided to graduate in 2 years because the shit was so elementary and basic. I can't imagine going to law school past 23. I guess I would just feel so old.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:22 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:
jcl2 wrote:

False assumptions for the win. Nope my parents don't know what I'm doing. They let me do my own thing. They made sure I didn't skip any grades from K-12. As soon as I got to college, I made my own decisions and decided to graduate in 2 years because the shit was so elementary and basic. I can't imagine going to law school past 23. I guess I would just feel so old.

OK, well if you are going to be 21, or even 20 soon to be turning 21 when you start law school, that is entirely different, and not a completely unreasonable age to be starting law school. I made a reasonable assumption that you would be starting law school at 18 or 19, as you said you were about 5 years younger than everyone here, and the poll clearly shows most people to be starting law school around the age of 23. Based on that, I figured you must have been one of those kids who started college at 15 and was skipping their youth in order for their parents to feel like they raised some kind of genius prodigy.

laidoffjournalist

Postby laidoffjournalist » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:26 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:I can't imagine going to law school past 23. I guess I would just feel so old.

Ha. What a fucking douche bag.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:27 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:
jcl2 wrote:

ya...because you're not immature or anything...

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:29 pm

biv0ns wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:
jcl2 wrote:

damn 24 huh? I'll be a 2nd year associate by that age.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:32 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:

...ok?

schmohawk

Postby schmohawk » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:56 pm

Last edited by schmohawk on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:08 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:
biv0ns wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:
jcl2 wrote:

Dude, life is not literally a race. You are not going to be getting any awards for being the youngest biglaw associate. More likely, you will be shunned as the immature 23 year old who thinks he is hot shit because he is 2 years younger than his peers. Or even more likely, you wont get a biglaw job, because you will come across as an immature douche in your interviews. I'm not saying that one can't be successful starting law school at 20, though I wouldn't want to start at that age, what I am saying is that you probably won't be successful starting law school at 20 because you sound like an idiot.

laidoffjournalist

Postby laidoffjournalist » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:22 pm

College, for the most part, was great and I loved it. I will probably look back at my final year of college as one of the best times in my life. That someone would want to skip through that and then brag about it like a smug douche is odd to me.

You have your entire life to work. College is a unique opportunity to really learn about yourself in a setting that supports that kind of self-exploration. I wish I could go back to college. You meet so many great people in college and I have found the working world doesn't offer the same bonds. I know law school won't be the same as college, but I still hope it will be somehow.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:32 pm

Ouch you're 27 years old?

That means you'll get out at like 30.

That's like the age doctors start working after 6 years of med school and some years in residency...AHHA damn I feel bad for you.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:39 pm

laidoffjournalist wrote:College, for the most part, was great and I loved it. I will probably look back at my final year of college as one of the best times in my life. That someone would want to skip through that and then brag about it like a smug douche is odd to me.

You have your entire life to work. College is a unique opportunity to really learn about yourself in a setting that supports that kind of self-exploration. I wish I could go back to college. You meet so many great people in college and I have found the working world doesn't offer the same bonds. I know law school won't be the same as college, but I still hope it will be somehow.

Don't junior college kids spend only 2 years at a degree-granting school? So whats the big deal? I'm not that unique. The time I've spent here has done very little for me. I think it was mainly because I challenged myself at a young age. Everything in college just seems repetitive. I sure as hell don't want to spend 25K a year learning Chinese politics...etc. I can just google it all. I am paying for the degree. If I want an education, I can just go to the local library and pick up a book on Chinese politics. The professors here can barely speak clearly. So I want to save 2 years of my life and 50 grand. And the social life here is garbage anyhow. I've been to frats, been to football games..etc. Nothing I will miss.

Now I am genuinely interested in the law, especially criminal law. I will obviously spend the full 3 years here. I just can't see myself entering law school after 23 and getting out of law school after 25-26 years old. Just seems way too old.
Last edited by PunjabiLower on Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:41 pm

PunjabiLower wrote: 25-26 years old. Just seems way too old.

which is what makes you immature. how 26 is "too old" in any way is beyond me

jsoell

Postby jsoell » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:42 pm

I'll be 28, which makes me really really old compared to PL. He's (assuming poster is a he) really enjoying this age stuff, so let's just move on. He's young. We're older. He has life experiences we don't have. We have life experiences he doesn't have. Yada yada yada.

Return to “Law School FAQ”