How rare are black American males in T20 law schools? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Joe Toboni

New

Re: How rare are black American males in T20 law schools?

Post by Joe Toboni » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:21 am

biggamejames wrote:
Joe Toboni wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote: Or go into rural parts of the northeast. I live about an hour from Ithaca, and grew up riding the school bus with high school members of the KKK. Yes, the Klan is still active in the northeast. Yes, we have plenty of racism up here.
Upstate NY is the start of the midwest thought. It would never happen in New Hampshire.
Only because people in New Hampshire have never seen or heard of black people.
It is so ridiculous that people hear "New Hampshire" or "Bedford" and assume that we're all white. When in fact back in the 1980s, the town's black family lived down the street from me.

mwazaumoja

New

Post by mwazaumoja » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:44 pm

If you spent much time in higher education outside of an HBCU, I think being around a lack of black males should be a pretty normal thing. It sucks being 'that token black guy' but unfortunately it's the life we live.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:15 pm

mwazaumoja wrote:If you spent much time in higher education outside of an HBCU, I think being around a lack of black males should be a pretty normal thing. It sucks being 'that token black guy' but unfortunately it's the life we live.
:? So very tired of it.

zero1

New

Post by zero1 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:16 pm

Joe Toboni wrote:
biggamejames wrote:
Joe Toboni wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote: Or go into rural parts of the northeast. I live about an hour from Ithaca, and grew up riding the school bus with high school members of the KKK. Yes, the Klan is still active in the northeast. Yes, we have plenty of racism up here.
Upstate NY is the start of the midwest thought. It would never happen in New Hampshire.
Only because people in New Hampshire have never seen or heard of black people.
It is so ridiculous that people hear "New Hampshire" or "Bedford" and assume that we're all white. When in fact back in the 1980s, the town's black family lived down the street from me.
lol.

Edit: Mystery solved by the marvels of the "search post" functionality

ramblinwreck

New

Post by ramblinwreck » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:24 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
mwazaumoja wrote:If you spent much time in higher education outside of an HBCU, I think being around a lack of black males should be a pretty normal thing. It sucks being 'that token black guy' but unfortunately it's the life we live.
Yeah I've grown accustomed to it. Doesn't even bother me at all. My time in undergrad prepared me well for it. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LolaSmile

New

Post by LolaSmile » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:34 pm

biggamejames wrote:
A'nold wrote:Hmmm....yeah, I guess op did list southern schools. I just find it weird that there is all this "racial tension" out there still. I grew up in an area where there really wasn't much outward racism (on the whole) but it was CONSTANTLY brought up in school and with progressive/liberal kinds of groups in college. They acted like they were on the front lines of the civil rights movement or something and were entirely over PC about everything. I guess it might have caused me to become a little bit jaded on the subject like people are just causing problems where none exist. It's like people in the South and other parts of the country have to deal with REAL racism and the people where I'm from kind of diminish the severity of those that really struggle with this by being like, "how dare you say the word "black", it's African American you racist!" to some white kid that has like 10 black friends that all told him they prefer to be called "black" lol. That's the kind of "racism" I grew up with.
Racism is definitely not just a Southern thing. Try to get a white, upper-class East Coaster to go with you into even the safe parts of Harlem or West Philly and see what happens.
Have you been to Harlem lately? It’s totally gentrified.

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:41 pm

LolaSmile wrote:
biggamejames wrote:
A'nold wrote:Hmmm....yeah, I guess op did list southern schools. I just find it weird that there is all this "racial tension" out there still. I grew up in an area where there really wasn't much outward racism (on the whole) but it was CONSTANTLY brought up in school and with progressive/liberal kinds of groups in college. They acted like they were on the front lines of the civil rights movement or something and were entirely over PC about everything. I guess it might have caused me to become a little bit jaded on the subject like people are just causing problems where none exist. It's like people in the South and other parts of the country have to deal with REAL racism and the people where I'm from kind of diminish the severity of those that really struggle with this by being like, "how dare you say the word "black", it's African American you racist!" to some white kid that has like 10 black friends that all told him they prefer to be called "black" lol. That's the kind of "racism" I grew up with.
Racism is definitely not just a Southern thing. Try to get a white, upper-class East Coaster to go with you into even the safe parts of Harlem or West Philly and see what happens.
As are the "safe parts" of West Philly. There are some pretty hard core racists in Philly though.

Hook 'Em

Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:50 pm

ramblinwreck wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Yeah I've grown accustomed to it. Doesn't even bother me at all. My time in undergrad prepared me well for it. :D
+1

I don't even notice it anymore. Hopefully I'll be joining one of you at a T14 in 2010 (Step 1 is to kill 1L).

TopLaw_Diva

New

Post by TopLaw_Diva » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:29 pm

T_Easy wrote:
TopLaw_Diva wrote:
T_Easy wrote:Thanks for all the replies.

I've always wondered about this, and it seems like black males are really basically unheard of in top 20 law schools.
I'm coming into Cornell c/o 2012 and so far my girlfriends and I have not spotted any incoming black males...at our Admitted Student Day it was all female...kind of disappointing...we're still hoping some of the brothas slipped through our radar though... :wink:
Just hold on...hopefully I'll be there next Fall!!!

I sure hope so!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TopLaw_Diva

New

Post by TopLaw_Diva » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:34 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
biggamejames wrote:
Or go into rural parts of the northeast. I live about an hour from Ithaca, and grew up riding the school bus with high school members of the KKK. Yes, the Klan is still active in the northeast. Yes, we have plenty of racism up here.
Hold on you can't be serious...are they active near Cornell? Now you got me all scared...then again I'm thinking I wish a you know what would... :?

biggamejames

Bronze

Post by biggamejames » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:36 pm

sbalive wrote:
LolaSmile wrote:
biggamejames wrote: Racism is definitely not just a Southern thing. Try to get a white, upper-class East Coaster to go with you into even the safe parts of Harlem or West Philly and see what happens.
As are the "safe parts" of West Philly.
That's one of the reasons why it's so ridiculous that so many folks refuse to go them.

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:38 pm

biggamejames wrote:
sbalive wrote:
LolaSmile wrote:
biggamejames wrote: Racism is definitely not just a Southern thing. Try to get a white, upper-class East Coaster to go with you into even the safe parts of Harlem or West Philly and see what happens.
That's one of the reasons why it's so ridiculous that so many folks refuse to go them.
Ah, I see your point. Yeah, that attitude pisses me off.

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:50 pm

TopLaw_Diva wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
biggamejames wrote:
Or go into rural parts of the northeast. I live about an hour from Ithaca, and grew up riding the school bus with high school members of the KKK. Yes, the Klan is still active in the northeast. Yes, we have plenty of racism up here.
Hold on you can't be serious...are they active near Cornell? Now you got me all scared...then again I'm thinking I wish a you know what would... :?
In light of the prominent place anti-Indian groups like Upstate Citizens for Equality hold in the Finger Lakes Region, I wouldn't be surprised if there was cross-over into other racist groups, such as the KKK. My kids and I went for a drive a few weeks back and counted no less than 100 anti-NDN lawn and road signs in our two hour trek around Cayuga Lake.

The KKK has always had a large following in Northern states - in 1924, a KKK picnic in downtown Portland attracted over 20,000 people. However, in Maine, the bigotry was focused not on AAs, but on French-Canadian, Irish and Maine Indian groups and individuals - there weren't enough AAs in Maine for the bigots to really care. The same for many rural Northern areas with significant KKK support - it's the most prevalent "Other" which is the target, the one they fear the most. In Central New York these days, local Iroquois seeking to re-establish their treaty rights seem to take the cake.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TopLaw_Diva

New

Post by TopLaw_Diva » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:01 pm

In light of the prominent place anti-Indian groups like Upstate Citizens for Equality hold in the Finger Lakes Region, I wouldn't be surprised if there was cross-over into other racist groups, such as the KKK. My kids and I went for a drive a few weeks back and counted no less than 100 anti-NDN lawn and road signs in our two hour trek around Cayuga Lake.

The KKK has always had a large following in Northern states - in 1924, a KKK picnic in downtown Portland attracted over 20,000 people. However, in Maine, the bigotry was focused not on AAs, but on French-Canadian, Irish and Maine Indian groups and individuals - there weren't enough AAs in Maine for the bigots to really care. The same for many rural Northern areas with significant KKK support - it's the most prevalent "Other" which is the target, the one they fear the most. In Central New York these days, local Iroquois seeking to re-establish their treaty rights seem to take the cake.
WOW....Thanks for the history lesson! I really had no idea about any of this...

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:27 pm

biggamejames wrote:
sbalive wrote:
LolaSmile wrote:
biggamejames wrote:
Ah, I see your point. Yeah, that attitude pisses me off.
fwiw, though things may certainly have been gentrified, it can still get uncomfortable (which is NOT code for dangerous) sometimes when you're walking around in a neighborhood where you don't look like most of the residents. i live in harlem and have spent a ton of time in west philly (my best friend went to penn and lived there). of course you can get used to and feel comfortable in 'even the safe parts' of those neighborhoods, but it doesn't mean that every other person who lives there sees you frequently enough to be comfortable with you

Jarrett

New

Post by Jarrett » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:23 pm

Well down here in Albany ,GA there is a strong presence of racism , Sometimes you just have to learn how to deal with it . A legal education doesnt change your values or beliefs it shows you can think like a lawyer.

ajmanyjah

Bronze

Post by ajmanyjah » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:08 pm

Joe Toboni wrote:
You have to be joking.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:29 pm

T_Easy wrote:Do they seclude themselves? Are they social? How do they perform in classes? Just wondering...
T_Easy wrote:I'm hesitant with a few top schools, like UVA and Duke, because of their nationally documented race problems. I want a top law school that has people of all races interacting with each other academically and socially with no qualms and tensions
Speaking for Duke, from the perspective a a white Californian dude, the black dudes here seem to act just like (and interact just fine with) the white dudes, Asian dudes, Latino dudes, Middle Eastern dudes, Indian dudes, and all the other dudes.

Sakura3210

Bronze

Post by Sakura3210 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:33 pm

Guys, this is a pretty old thread. :lol:

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:01 am

Sakura3210 wrote:Guys, this is a pretty old thread. :lol:
Haha did not notice that...just saw the bump.

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:13 am

I just saw the link to the NALP data I must say it is very troubling for alot of reasons. Either a large amount of minorities are getting shut out all together or they aren't making it through undergraduate school. Ideally it would be nice if us news offered a diversity category that was weighted heavily to change the patterns. Aside from that I'm a bit worried about my law school experience I live in California and go to a school with a lot of diversity and although minorities aren't in large numbers I've never felt singled out, that being said for anyone who has gone to a school with a few urms how does one adjust? Obviously one can make friends from different races so that's not a big deal but the larger thing is knowing your one of only a few there. Aside for that I've got to give props to the poster who referenced TLS to a parallel universe where white people are the oppressed by the urms; that totally made my night lol.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:19 am

vanwinkle wrote:
kurama20 wrote:I swear TLS is this parallel universe where blacks and other minorities are racist bigots, and whites are being oppressed by the evils of affirmative action while struggling to make it in anti white America.
TLS, or AM talk radio...
LMAO :lol:

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:49 am

tooswolle wrote:I just saw the link to the NALP data I must say it is very troubling for alot of reasons. Either a large amount of minorities are getting shut out all together or they aren't making it through undergraduate school. Ideally it would be nice if us news offered a diversity category that was weighted heavily to change the patterns. Aside from that I'm a bit worried about my law school experience I live in California and go to a school with a lot of diversity and although minorities aren't in large numbers I've never felt singled out, that being said for anyone who has gone to a school with a few urms how does one adjust? Obviously one can make friends from different races so that's not a big deal but the larger thing is knowing your one of only a few there. Aside for that I've got to give props to the poster who referenced TLS to a parallel universe where white people are the oppressed by the urms; that totally made my night lol.
I'm a lil worried about this, too. I've visited my law school and have seen nothing but White people. Any URMs are either office workers, security guards, janitors, or construction workers.
I'm an URM.

mpasi

Bronze

Post by mpasi » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:56 am

How rare are black females?

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:02 am

mpasi wrote:How rare are black females?

Maybe not as rare as Black men?

Well, at my soon-to-be-campus, I saw one student(Black female) and a few working in Admissions.

Also, a different law school by the name of Southwestern has tons of hot Black girlies both as students and staff.

One of my friends, a UCLA Law grad is Black, and she had quite a few in her class.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”