Best Summer Internships for Law School?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
thecynic69

Best Summer Internships for Law School?

Postby thecynic69 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:01 pm

This topic has to be around somewhere else. If so, sorry for the double post, but I haven't found it yet.

Anyway, I am wondering what I should do next summer, which will be my last summer before applying to law school. I am not looking for any specific field (i.e. environmental law); it is more important that the position look really awesome on a law school app.

biggamejames

Re: Best Summer Internships for Law School?

Postby biggamejames » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:11 pm

It won't make that much of a difference relative to LSAT/GPA.

frank_the_tank

Postby frank_the_tank » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:12 pm

Something you will enjoy and is somehow connected to the rest of your application package.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:20 pm

Do your best to win a Pulitzer prize or some kind of Olympic type medal. Those will get their attention.

iamluke20

Postby iamluke20 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:21 pm

White House internship.

thecynic69

Postby thecynic69 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:16 am

iamluke20 wrote:White House internship.

From what I've read, the best part of that internship is the name--and I'm sure adcoms know it.

I'm surprised people haven't floated more ideas. I realize that summer internships pale in comparison to lsat/gpa, but I have a feeling softs are important for apps to HY. Given the limited range of stats that those schools consider, there is a reasonable chance that at least one other person will have the same numbers as me. And then it comes down to softs...

rdt854

Postby rdt854 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:26 am

I hear Alaska is looking for a new governor ... try that out for the summer

billyez

Postby billyez » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:56 am

frank_the_tank wrote:Something you will enjoy and is somehow connected to the rest of your application package.

I can't say with certainty that this will make a difference, but it's what I've done. An internship in the DA's office and an internship in the Public Defender's office. I want to do work in those fields specifically, so it made perfect sense for me to focus on those. I picked up some recommendation letters while I was learning more about places I actually wanted to work at. Win-win.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:27 am

Something you enjoy, that will set you apart. I was at a fashion magazine (with a name known to non-industry types). This internship was not chosen with law school in mind, but it probably made my application weird enough to be remembered.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:36 am

Have you considered an unpaid internship with your local PD or DA? You will do plenty of mundane office work, but also sit in on a ton of trials. These can be mind-numbing or highly entertaining, but you will learn a considerable amount about the legal process.

This is anecdotal and highly speculative; but I suspect this internship along with a slight GPA increase got me off waitlists at a couple of schools.

thecynic69

Postby thecynic69 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:01 am

The PD and DA are both very good ideas, but I can't help but think that there are some jaw dropping opportunities out there? Feel free to mention even the hardest to get summer internships. Ideally, they should somehow relate to law, but I'd rather get a bunch of choices that don't work for me than have a viable option left out.

Thanks to all who have responded!

P.S.
How do people feel about an internship at a top 100 law firm?

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:00 pm

thecynic69 wrote:The PD and DA are both very good ideas, but I can't help but think that there are some jaw dropping opportunities out there? Feel free to mention even the hardest to get summer internships. Ideally, they should somehow relate to law, but I'd rather get a bunch of choices that don't work for me than have a viable option left out.

P.S.

Well, all the cool kids go to top 10 firms for their internships, but, the world needs ditch diggers too. Knock yourself out kid!

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:01 pm

thecynic69 wrote:This topic has to be around somewhere else. If so, sorry for the double post, but I haven't found it yet.

Anyway, I am wondering what I should do next summer, which will be my last summer before applying to law school. I am not looking for any specific field (i.e. environmental law); it is more important that the position look really awesome on a law school app.

President.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:03 pm

thecynic69 wrote:

From what I've read, the best part of that internship is the name--and I'm sure adcoms know it.

I'm surprised people haven't floated more ideas. I realize that summer internships pale in comparison to lsat/gpa, but I have a feeling softs are important for apps to HY. Given the limited range of stats that those schools consider, there is a reasonable chance that at least one other person will have the same numbers as me. And then it comes down to softs...

Yes, for apps to HYS, softs matter a lot. However, if you had a soft that would impress HYS, you'd know it already.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:05 pm

thecynic69 wrote:The PD and DA are both very good ideas, but I can't help but think that there are some jaw dropping opportunities out there? Feel free to mention even the hardest to get summer internships. Ideally, they should somehow relate to law, but I'd rather get a bunch of choices that don't work for me than have a viable option left out.

P.S.

In any given cycle, there are probably hundreds of people with internships at top 100 law firms. Indeed, there are probably hundreds of people with actual legal experience (as paralegals) at top 100 law firms...

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:29 pm

You need a Pulitzer or/and Nobel Prize to have anything jaw dropping.

I have a friend who cycled across Canada and back raising money for a childrens hospital in the area, that would be a pretty neat soft I suppose, and another friend who did the pole to pole trip.

http://www.poletopole.ca/

Those are probably softs that ad comms don't see all that often and are kind of neat/memorable.

Edit: Neither of them are applying to law school though.

thisguy456

Postby thisguy456 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:40 pm

Take either the most enjoyable internship, or the highest paying. It really won't matter.

biggamejames

Postby biggamejames » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:35 pm

crazycanuck wrote:You need a Pulitzer or/and Nobel Prize to have anything jaw dropping.

I have a friend who cycled across Canada and back raising money for a childrens hospital in the area, that would be a pretty neat soft I suppose, and another friend who did the pole to pole trip.

Those are probably softs that ad comms don't see all that often and are kind of neat/memorable.

Yeah, I think it'll only matter if you do something weird. Like, grab a tape recorder and wander around the mountains in central Mexico for a summer taking oral histories from old people. I vote for something like that.

thecynic69

Postby thecynic69 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:49 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:

P.S.

Well, all the cool kids go to top 10 firms for their internships, but, the world needs ditch diggers too. Knock yourself out kid!

I'll assume you have experience with this, then. Is the boost from working at a top 10 vs. the rest of the top 100 worth the cost of housing in NYC (I come from a low income household).

Also, I'd imagine the competition for top 10 law firm internships is fierce. I have a stellar gpa and have held solid, but not game altering summer internships. Is that enough? Is there anything else they look for?

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:25 pm

thecynic69 wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:

P.S.

I'll assume you have experience with this, then. Is the boost from working at a top 10 vs. the rest of the top 100 worth the cost of housing in NYC (I come from a low income household).

Also, I'd imagine the competition for top 10 law firm internships is fierce. I have a stellar gpa and have held solid, but not game altering summer internships. Is that enough? Is there anything else they look for?

"thecynic69".... for some reason I don't feel your user name is appropriate.

Look kid, if you can get an internship like that, great. Is it going to vault you ahead of someone with higher numbers? No. Hate to be the one to tell you, but other than HYS, numbers is the ONLY THING SCHOOLS GIVE A SHIT ABOUT!

And when it comes to HYS, you sure as fuck better have a 3.6 or better with impressive academic credentials, a 174 and above LSAT.... and then have some impressive fucking leadership positions. ONE SUMMER AINT DOIN' YOU SHIT!

/Thread

thecynic69

Postby thecynic69 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:45 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
thecynic69 wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:

P.S.

"thecynic69".... for some reason I don't feel your user name is appropriate.

Ah, yes, because being nice and feigning politeness in order to get other people to give you helpful advice wouldn't be characteristic of a cynic at all.

Look kid, if you can get an internship like that, great. Is it going to vault you ahead of someone with higher numbers? No. Hate to be the one to tell you, but other than HYS, numbers is the ONLY THING SCHOOLS GIVE A SHIT ABOUT!

I have specifically named HY as schools I am focusing on. Why you would mention that the topic at hand applies only to students interested in HYS as some way of making me look naive is beyond me.

And when it comes to HYS, you sure as fuck better have a 3.6 or better with impressive academic credentials, a 174 and above LSAT.... and then have some impressive fucking leadership positions. ONE SUMMER AINT DOIN' YOU SHIT!

3.6? These are some jokes. And 174 is a little high don't you think? Well, maybe not if you have a 3.6. But why give a gpa below the 25th percentile, and an lsat at the median for yale [173]/75th percentile for harvard [175]? And I agree, one summer is not going to make or break me, but in combination with my productive use of my past summers, I think it will help me significantly.

/Thread
I suppose...if people can't come up with anything better than a top ten law firm. I am still holding out for someone with a better idea. Assume a perfect GPA at an ivy with solid past internships.

thecynic69

Postby thecynic69 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:50 pm

biggamejames wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:You need a Pulitzer or/and Nobel Prize to have anything jaw dropping.

Yeah, I think it'll only matter if you do something weird. Like, grab a tape recorder and wander around the mountains in central Mexico for a summer taking oral histories from old people. I vote for something like that.

That is certainly one way to go about this--doing something weird; however, I'm not sure that I'm that kind of guy. I'd rather go the prestigious route if I can. But thanks for the suggestion.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:59 pm

My brother just finished his freshman year at Yale, and he's spending this summer doing nano-tech research at a major defense contractor. One more summer there and he'll likely get something publishable in an IEEE journal. That is a soft factor an adcom might remember. A law firm internship, not so much, unless maybe you win a case while you're there...

If you've got a perfect GPA at an Ivy, you've probably been involved with something that you can turn into a compelling soft? What did you do during undergrad that was unique and had actual impact? Even if you get a top-10 law firm internship, there will literally be dozens of other applicants with the same internship. It's not going to stick in anyones' mind.

iamluke20

Postby iamluke20 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:28 pm

thecynic69 wrote:

It really depends what office you get placed in. You would be amazed what some of the interns are able to do during the internship. If you are placed in the correspondence office, then yes adcoms know its just a name.

It got me into a school I was below 25% lsat.

lavachefolle

Postby lavachefolle » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:15 am

thecynic69 wrote:This topic has to be around somewhere else. If so, sorry for the double post, but I haven't found it yet.

As stated above, look for something that fits your CV and involves some interesting projects. If you're motivated enough, you might go beyond the call of duty, and create some projects of your own. THAT would look awesome on your resume and tells the adcomm that you are both motivated and can take the initiative. It'll also give you ideas for your PS, which enhances your overall candidacy.

There are few internships that would really wow the adcomm off the bat, unless it's some ridiculous award or accolade. This is the point most everyone is trying to convey above. Focus on an internship that gives you responsibilities, project experience, and leadership opportunities. If it works out, you'll probably be able to present excellent app.

Thing is, there are a lot of them out there, so it's up to you to find what suits you.

Return to “Law School FAQ”