JD/Master's in City/Urban Planning

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
regatsrj

JD/Master's in City/Urban Planning

Postby regatsrj » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:43 pm

Has anyone here had any experience applying for a joint JD/MUP program? In a perfect world I'd do this, but it all depends on $$$ I get from the law school first. Berkeley, UCLA, Penn and Harvard seem to have the best dual degree programs – and possibly Columbia, but I don’t know much about their planning program. I’m also wondering how being in school for four years impacts one’s ability to get offers from firms that would typically make offers at the beginning of 3L year. Does the whole 2L summer associate thing just get pushed back a year? Any thoughts on any or all of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

laylalucy

Re: JD/Master's in City/Urban Planning

Postby laylalucy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:52 pm

I am considering the same program. Just signed up for the GRE on Tuesday. :shock: Very interested to see what others thoughts are on the whole joint degree thing...pros, cons, etc.

makebelieve

Postby makebelieve » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:00 pm

Bump

Splitt3r

Postby Splitt3r » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:32 pm

When I went to go tour UVa I met a guy who was doing this. He seemed to be very happy with the program, so perhaps add them to your list.

makebelieve

Postby makebelieve » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:42 pm

:shock:

Splitt3r

Postby Splitt3r » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:46 pm

makebelieve wrote::shock:

?

makebelieve

Postby makebelieve » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:47 pm

Splitt3r wrote:
makebelieve wrote::shock:

?

I'm not :shock: you, I just think it's more fun doing faces than saying "bump" all damn day :D

Splitt3r

Postby Splitt3r » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:50 pm

I'm also interested in doing such a program, btw, but my lack of work experience makes it seem incredibly unlikely that I'll get into a decent MUP program. I'm thinking I'll just take some classes in it while I'm in law school (most schools offer this option) and then go back and get the degree if/when I decide to change careers.

makebelieve

Postby makebelieve » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:00 pm

Splitt3r wrote:I'm also interested in doing such a program, btw, but my lack of work experience makes it seem incredibly unlikely that I'll get into a decent MUP program. I'm thinking I'll just take some classes in it while I'm in law school (most schools offer this option) and then go back and get the degree if/when I decide to change careers.

What kind of work experience would you need? I have four years of work experience in my undergrad working full time in construction for the state. How much WE could they expect if we don't have the degree yet?

Splitt3r

Postby Splitt3r » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:01 pm

makebelieve wrote:
Splitt3r wrote:I'm also interested in doing such a program, btw, but my lack of work experience makes it seem incredibly unlikely that I'll get into a decent MUP program. I'm thinking I'll just take some classes in it while I'm in law school (most schools offer this option) and then go back and get the degree if/when I decide to change careers.

What kind of work experience would you need? I have four years of work experience in my undergrad working full time in construction for the state. How much WE could they expect if we don't have the degree yet?

Er, a lot of people take time off between their UG work and graduate studies. I'm not sure if that would count as WE or not. Generally they want stuff that's not during school, but if you were actually working full time perhaps it would count.

makebelieve

Postby makebelieve » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:05 pm

Splitt3r wrote:
makebelieve wrote:

Er, a lot of people take time off between their UG work and graduate studies. I'm not sure if that would count as WE or not. Generally they want stuff that's not during school, but if you were actually working full time perhaps it would count.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I just think it sucks that NOT having WE would work against us for a graduate degree. What made you want to take the Planning route? What do you plan on doing? I don't know anyone who are interested in taking this route except for me, so I'm very curious.

Splitt3r

Postby Splitt3r » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:11 pm

makebelieve wrote:Yeah, I know what you mean. I just think it sucks that NOT having WE would work against us for a graduate degree. What made you want to take the Planning route? What do you plan on doing? I don't know anyone who are interested in taking this route except for me, so I'm very curious.

I'm actually interested in becoming involved in urban residential development (high-rise condos, mixed use buildings, etc) either as a lawyer or as a developer. I'd also be happy working in suburban housing projects, but big skyscraper type project are the dream. I feel like an MUP would really help me have the credibility to be trusted with such a position and would allow me to understand more fully what's involved in that type of undertaking.

Setarkos

Postby Setarkos » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:12 pm

I've been thinking about getting an MUP. However, I'll be right out of undergrad without significant work experience. FWIW, I'm leaning towards just getting the JD, going into real estate/land use, and then if I think the MUP would add anything to my work by either making it more interesting or more lucrative, I'll look at it at that time. Deferring this decision until later also leaves doors to different lawyering paths open (without sunken costs), which is something I like in this crazy world.

makebelieve

Postby makebelieve » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:15 pm

Splitt3r wrote:
makebelieve wrote:Yeah, I know what you mean. I just think it sucks that NOT having WE would work against us for a graduate degree. What made you want to take the Planning route? What do you plan on doing? I don't know anyone who are interested in taking this route except for me, so I'm very curious.

I'm actually interested in becoming involved in urban residential development (high-rise condos, mixed use buildings, etc) either as a lawyer or as a developer. I'd also be happy working in suburban housing projects, but big skyscraper type project are the dream. I feel like an MUP would really help me have the credibility to be trusted with such a position and would allow me to understand more fully what's involved in that type of undertaking.

Sounds good. Residential development is my goal to, seems a lot more interesting to me than most other types of law. Also, I thought having a law degree and a masters in urban planning would help me if one day I decided I didn't want to be a lawyer and wanted to go into another field and vice versa.

I'm thinking UNC right now, but I'm still trying to figure out which schools offer the dual degree in it. Know of any other school in the T30 that offer such a program? Where are you planning on going?

Tenth Usher

Postby Tenth Usher » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:42 pm

Splitt3r wrote:

I'll try to revive this. I'm also pursuing this area of work. Has anyone talked with lawyers/developers working in this area? I'm interested in the actual distinction of what the JD/MUP enables you to do that differs from a JD/MBA or a JD with relevant experience.

I suppose it also matters if your goal is to work in a large market for an established developer as opposed to forming a partnership and working in a smaller city.

Tenth Usher

Postby Tenth Usher » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:55 pm

Government work seems like a natural for someone with a JD/MUP/MUD, in the areas of land use, zoning, planning, etc. I'm not as clear on how it would help you in private sector work.

Tenth Usher

Postby Tenth Usher » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:02 am

makebelieve wrote:
Splitt3r wrote:

Sounds good. Residential development is my goal to, seems a lot more interesting to me than most other types of law. Also, I thought having a law degree and a masters in urban planning would help me if one day I decided I didn't want to be a lawyer and wanted to go into another field and vice versa.

I'm thinking UNC right now, but I'm still trying to figure out which schools offer the dual degree in it. Know of any other school in the T30 that offer such a program? Where are you planning on going?

For any browsers of this thread, the MUP is not necessary for this kind of work. An MArch would be closer to what's described here ("skyscraper type project" and "residential development"), but honestly I think you'd get more bang for your buck as an MBA who specialized in RE, RE finance, etc.

That's assuming you even pursue dual degrees. The best route, though admittedly not easy, would probably be to gain relative work experience, lateral to working in-house with a development company, and move up from there into management roles or more senior legal positions.

bedefan

Postby bedefan » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:06 pm

Tenth Usher wrote:
Splitt3r wrote:

I'll try to revive this. I'm also pursuing this area of work. Has anyone talked with lawyers/developers working in this area? I'm interested in the actual distinction of what the JD/MUP enables you to do that differs from a JD/MBA or a JD with relevant experience.

I suppose it also matters if your goal is to work in a large market for an established developer as opposed to forming a partnership and working in a smaller city.

Not an expert, but FWIW... My understanding from having a close relative who's an urban planner (PhD) and an ex-girlfriend who's the same (MUP), is that planners are like combined geographers/microeconomists, figuring out how changes in physical space will affect or are affecting a neighborhood's microeconomy. They use pretty heavy-duty social scientific research methods (like sociologists) as well as heavy duty geographical data tools such as GIS.

Another close relative was able to work for a real estate developer (Chicago) without having any background in planning whatsoever. The planners I've known have all worked in academia (both in faculty and admin roles) and local/regional government.

If you think you want to be a planner, do that and see if you like it. If nothing else, you'll have an interesting job for a few years. Getting a law degree will diminish your ability to become a planner (debt load), whereas becoming a planner will enhance your ability to get into a good law school (assuming you're able to pull the whole, "While planning a new community garden project for Detroit, I realized my true calling was to become an attorney who represented impoverished neighborhood associations in their legal battles against the fascist propagators of community gardens everywhere," kind of focused PS thang).

SuperFreak

Postby SuperFreak » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:39 pm

I don't even..

:lol: :lol:

Return to “Law School FAQ”