Career options for a law school graduate...FBI...CIA Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
capitalacq

Silver

Re: Career options for a law school graduate...FBI...CIA

Post by capitalacq » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:28 pm

Fiyero wrote:
memento wrote:Slightly off topic, but there is also a small group of lawyers in the state department that advise on how US and int'l law should shape our foreign policy. Less glamorous than CIA work thats for sure, but still sounds pretty interesting.
This is my goal, State Dept. Of course, unless you graduate from Harvard, probably impossible to get a State Dept Counsel job.
don't discount networking...

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:34 pm

kgustao wrote:You absolutely do not need a JD to work for the FBI or CIA, there are many agent and desk jobs besides law jobs. I am also under the impression that CIA only hires law grads from the very top of the most elite schools (HYS). If you have ever used any illegal substances of any kind this option will be closed to you...especially for the CIA. Their background check is incredibly thorough and intense.

If this is your dream, look into ways of getting there without going into debt for a law degree.
Nope. Hard drugs need be at least 10 years ago and can be declared as experimentation if tried once. No pot a year before hiring. I've worked with the CIA, and thats what they told me. Check out the new regs., they have been updated in the past 2 years.

And no, you do not need an elite degree to enter either service. Thats pure speculation and isn't true.

SoberHobo

New

Post by SoberHobo » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:46 pm

ArkansasFan wrote:What would the CIA laywers be doing anyway?
telling their agents how long you can stuff someone in a 3x3x3 box before it's considered torture

ArkansasFan

New

Post by ArkansasFan » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:56 pm

Fiyero wrote:
memento wrote:Slightly off topic, but there is also a small group of lawyers in the state department that advise on how US and int'l law should shape our foreign policy. Less glamorous than CIA work thats for sure, but still sounds pretty interesting.
This is my goal, State Dept. Of course, unless you graduate from Harvard, probably impossible to get a State Dept Counsel job.
meh. harvard's over rated

cas515

New

Post by cas515 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:39 pm

the FBI and the CIA have always intrigued me a little bit, but if a law degree isn't going to help you get into the field then what type of study should I do? It sounds like people are saying that the FBI and CIA don't hire people with law degrees very often but they like people who have experience.. so they would choose a young person who went to undergrad and then worked for 3 years versus someone who went to undergrad and law school for a total of 7 years education? I feel like the FBI or CIA would be an interesting job and they do get great benefits, anyone know the actual path someone should take if they want to get into this area?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:47 pm

Intern with them; I have two friends that did this route. They each interned during the summer, one with the CIA and the other with the FBI. After they graduated they got full time jobs with the respective agencies...

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:47 pm

http://bush.tamu.edu/degree/mpia/

This is a program worth looking at. If you look at their employment stats you'll notice CIA and FBI listed as employers for graduates more than one year. Georgetown also has a master's program you might want to look into.

ArkansasFan

New

Post by ArkansasFan » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:16 pm

Be a CIA psychiatrist. That's bound to be...interesting shall we say.

wreckem

New

Post by wreckem » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:00 pm

There is only one agency to my knowledge that will straight up deny you for any past drug use, no matter how small or experimental, or how ever long in the past and that is the DEA.

All other agencies are willing to overlook a FEW instances of marijuana use as long as they are well in your past. Repeated(chronic, no pun intended) marijuana use over several years will likely get you marked as unfit at most agencies that need security clearence. The repeated use(ie more than once) use of any other illegal drug or perscription drug abuse will as well in all likelyhood. They are far more stricter when it comes to drugs other the marijuana.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AJaKe

Bronze

Post by AJaKe » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:26 pm

You know, I was looking at FBI/CIA and I think I am more nervous because I CAN say that I have never taken illegal drugs, and that, I think, would make me look even more suspicious.

WassAnch

New

Post by WassAnch » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:39 am

wreckem wrote:There is only one agency to my knowledge that will straight up deny you for any past drug use, no matter how small or experimental, or how ever long in the past and that is the DEA.

All other agencies are willing to overlook a FEW instances of marijuana use as long as they are well in your past. Repeated(chronic, no pun intended) marijuana use over several years will likely get you marked as unfit at most agencies that need security clearence. The repeated use(ie more than once) use of any other illegal drug or perscription drug abuse will as well in all likelyhood. They are far more stricter when it comes to drugs other the marijuana.
Not true. DEA will overlook past use of marijuana, especially if you already have a clearance.

wreckem

New

Post by wreckem » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:24 am

WassAnch wrote:
wreckem wrote:There is only one agency to my knowledge that will straight up deny you for any past drug use, no matter how small or experimental, or how ever long in the past and that is the DEA.

Not true. DEA will overlook past use of marijuana, especially if you already have a clearance.
Whoops, yeah you're right. I seemed to have missed an entire sentence regarding their drug policy. I need to stop doing that(missing complete sentences when reading) before the Sept LSAT or its not going to be pretty.

LBHTX

New

Post by LBHTX » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:01 pm

reasonable_man wrote:Honestly... I'm an 08 grad with a good law firm job and I often think about saying "fuck it" and going into the NYPD.. I think it would be cool.

As a current officer let me tell you....you should.... it is...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”