How bad of a choice is going to a T4 law school..

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
rondemarino

Re: How bad of a choice is going to a T4 law school..

Postby rondemarino » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:49 pm

swheat wrote:Which is a better investment: a CA-accredited school like Monterey College of Law @ 15k tuition or an ABA T4 like Golden Gate @ 40k tuition

From investopedia....

"What Does Investment Mean?
An asset or item that is purchased with the hope that it will generate income or appreciate in the future. In an economic sense, an investment is the purchase of goods that are not consumed today but are used in the future to create wealth. In finance, an investment is a monetary asset purchased with the idea that the asset will provide income in the future or appreciate and be sold at a higher price."

But seriously, around only 20% of GGU grads end up getting a law firm gig upon graduation.

articulably suspect

Postby articulably suspect » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:55 pm

we all knew what he meant, it's actually a valid question. If you can pay 30K for a legal education from a CBA school vs 150K+ for a T3/4, it might be worth the gamble. 30K is a lot of money, but if the job prospects at these 3/4 schools are grim too, at least you wouldn't be out 150K if you chose the CBA school. I'm applying this fall and have seriously considered attending this CBA school if my only options are T2/3s w/out money.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:26 pm

rondemarino wrote:
swheat wrote:Which is a better investment: a CA-accredited school like Monterey College of Law @ 15k tuition or an ABA T4 like Golden Gate @ 40k tuition

From investopedia....

"What Does Investment Mean?
An asset or item that is purchased with the hope that it will generate income or appreciate in the future. In an economic sense, an investment is the purchase of goods that are not consumed today but are used in the future to create wealth. In finance, an investment is a monetary asset purchased with the idea that the asset will provide income in the future or appreciate and be sold at a higher price."

But seriously, around only 20% of GGU grads end up getting a law firm gig upon graduation.

you missed the key phrase in that definition, and you even highlighted it. HOPEbama would be ashamed

CA Law Dean

Postby CA Law Dean » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:14 pm

If you have decided to work in a region like Monterey that does not have a competing ABA law school, a state accredited law school like Monterey College of Law provides equal access to the region's law jobs at 1/3 to 1/2 the cost. Remember that graduates from a regional law school are likely on the hiring committee at most of the entry-level positions such as the DA, Public Defender, and local law firms. Imagine what your practice options can be without a six figure law school debt hanging over your head for the next 10-20 years.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:58 am

Almost everyone on here will state that attending a non-aba school is a terrible idea. The office I worked at had about 6-7 attorney's who went to a CBA school (7.5K/year), most of which seem to have no regret in making this decision. This is in N. CA(not in the middle on nowhere). Two DA's in the surrounding counties, one which is quite large, also went to this school. I know of a couple of private practice attorney's that went to CBA schools as well. Not one that I've talked to seems to hate life or their career.

Of course. You wouldn't have run into unsuccessful ones. Think about it: you are not going to run into a CBA school grad who is doing doc review- interns don't see that. You aren't going to see the unemployed ones. Your waiter isn't going to announce that they went to a CBA school.

northkitty

Postby northkitty » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:33 am

I guess this has more to do with why you want to go to law school than what others say.
humble upbringing doesn't necessarily mean low gpa/lsat, if your numbers are good enough to get you a full ride at a T4 school, and if you don't mind practicing and living in a relatively smaller area, i say go for it. at least every penny you earned will be in your hands as opposed to the bank.
then again, why not try to bring your numbers up a little and try prehaps a T3? you could still get a full scholarship, but the teaching quality, facilities and future job prospects may well be above your current choice.

nicolethera7

Postby nicolethera7 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:01 am

FYI- I went to a T4 and am graduating in May with a great job doing what I want to do. Just thought I would put it out there for all of the people who said it can't be done.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:03 am

nicolethera7 wrote:FYI- I went to a T4 and am graduating in May with a great job doing what I want to do. Just thought I would put it out there for all of the people who said it can't be done.

You realize this thread is 2-3 years old right? No one says it can't be done, it is just NOT LIKELY to be done. HTH.

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:31 pm

nicolethera7 wrote:FYI- I went to a T4 and am graduating in May with a great job doing what I want to do. Just thought I would put it out there for all of the people who said it can't be done.

Also depends on your expectations. We do not know what a great job is for you, and what you want to do.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed May 02, 2012 12:38 am

Nobody is saying it can't be done. People are saying that, statistically nearly everyone will pay a lot of money for a T4 degree, and statistically it is unlikely to work out for the large majority of them.

bruss

Postby bruss » Wed May 02, 2012 1:01 am

Return to “Law School FAQ”