How bad of a choice is going to a T4 law school.. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jtgain

New

How bad of a choice is going to a T4 law school..

Post by jtgain » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:20 pm

Okay, I came from a humble upbringing. Sure, I would like to go to Harvard/Yale, etc. but I realize that it probably isn't in the cards. So what is the real deal with going to a T4 law school; specifically Nova Southeastern University (just using that as an example)

So, I won't be a nationally known lawyer, and I won't get appointed to the Supreme Court one day. But can I use that education to get a decent, semi-well paying job as an attorney and live a happy life? Or am I doomed to a life of crippling debt while everyone laughs at me behind my back? Somewhere in between? Thoughts..

Rsrcht

Bronze

Re: How bad of a choice is going to a T4 law school..

Post by Rsrcht » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:41 pm

If you are going there for sticker price, then you should expect a high level of debt.
Career prospects aren't good right now for anybody. T14 students take priority most of the time and it trickles down.

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:49 pm

Last edited by puppleberry finn on Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Someperson

New

Post by Someperson » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:51 pm

puppins wrote:Your upbringing, humble or otherwise, is not relevant to your GPA or LSAT, which is how you will get into or be rejected from schools. Additionally, there are schools in between Yale/Harvard and Nova Southeastern University which vary greatly in terms of job prospects.
TITCR.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:39 pm

How do you go from Harvard and Yale to T4? Whatever happened to 3-100? T3 even? As someone said, there are many schools between those that you listed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lyricsoprano

New

Post by lyricsoprano » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:53 am

Nova Southeastern? Only 82% of their graduates are employed within 9 months of graduation, and of that 82%, only 57.7% are employed in law firms. Their bar passage rate is less than 70%. Why even consider it?! Tens of thousands of dollars in debt, and you'll probably spend a long time paying off the loans, given apparent job prospects from there.

Click "ABA school data"
http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchRes ... px?sid=110

Go to University of FL, Florida State, or U. of Miami.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:59 am

Hell I'd go to Stetson above Nova Southeastern. At least it was T1 and Stetson places decently in St. Pete/Tampa

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:01 am

Seriously, don't go T4. It's TTTT

Z'Barron

New

Post by Z'Barron » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:10 am

jtgain wrote:Okay, I came from a humble upbringing. Sure, I would like to go to Harvard/Yale, etc. but I realize that it probably isn't in the cards. So what is the real deal with going to a T4 law school; specifically Nova Southeastern University (just using that as an example)

So, I won't be a nationally known lawyer, and I won't get appointed to the Supreme Court one day. But can I use that education to get a decent, semi-well paying job as an attorney and live a happy life? Or am I doomed to a life of crippling debt while everyone laughs at me behind my back? Somewhere in between? Thoughts..
Well...you're correct on the USSC, but not on the rest. There are many well-paid lawyers, even millionaires, who came from no-name schools. You just have to take a different path. And, there is always the transfer option if you kick 1L ass.
Last edited by Z'Barron on Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Z'Barron

New

Post by Z'Barron » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:19 am

biv0ns wrote:How do you go from Harvard and Yale to T4? Whatever happened to 3-100? T3 even? As someone said, there are many schools between those that you listed.
I think OP just used an extreme example to illustrate a generality. The other schools are redundant. We can cut OP some slack. :wink:

lyricsoprano

New

Post by lyricsoprano » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:25 am

Z'Barron wrote:
biv0ns wrote:How do you go from Harvard and Yale to T4? Whatever happened to 3-100? T3 even? As someone said, there are many schools between those that you listed.
I think OP just used an extreme example to illustrate a generality. The other schools are redundant. We can cut OP some slack. :wink:
The OP also said this:
specifically Nova Southeastern University (just using that as an example)
He contradicts himself there, saying that he is "specifically" talking about that school, and yet he's only using it as an example. I just took "specifically" and ran with it :)

cameronfraser88

New

Post by cameronfraser88 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:00 am

CANCEL

wendyone

New

Post by wendyone » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:47 am

Okay, I'm going to come out and say it.

Fuck the snobs who tell you not to go to school at all.

Fuck them.

Excuse my language. I'm really not a jerk. But it pisses me off.

The amount of arrogance it takes to assume that a person has no options but to attend a t4 because they are in some way intellectually inferior or lazy is unfounded and offensive.

There are many reasons some people don't ace the LSATs.

One very common one is LD. There are plenty of future law students with learning disabilities that do not interfere with their academic abilities as far as research, paper writing, debate, classwork, and even regular testing situations for the most part but for whom certain extreme timed testing conditions are very difficult.

Some of these students choose to disclose their LDs because they can receive accommodations which allow them to equitably take standardized tests and perform to the best of their abilities- this gives these testtakers no advantage over students without LDs- it simply removes their DISADVANTAGE.

However.

Many students rightly assume that LD is looked upon by the elite academic community with a stigma that potentially hurts them more than a low test score would, so they choose to fight it out and take the exam anyway.

There are more of these students than you think there are. High scoring students ignorantly assume that all students who score low do so because of lack of preparation, skill, or inferiority.

Documented learning disability rarely earns a first, much less second thought.

So much for the LSAT as an explanation for why no smart kids are forced to go to t4s.

What about GPA? What's the excuse for that?

Well, what is the excuse?

What in a person's undergrad career could possibly cause them to falter in their grades? Let's see. It could be a variety of different factors. The trauma of a personal assault. The death of a close family member. The diagnosis of a serious illness. A father who is sent to prison. Any or all of these things. Suppose one of these stressful circumstances were to occur but the child should choose to continue to attend school rather than face the full impact of these terrible events. Their grades will suffer. It is the child's own choice. You may feel free to blame them. But you may also feel like a little bit of an asshole calling them lazy, especially when they're struggling through all of this at an Ivy league and you're praising a kid who's earning straight As at what you would consider a TTT undergrad.

So it's 5 or six years later and the kid has grown up and wants to get past whatever bad stuff kept him down in undergrad, and fulfill his full potential, the hard work and brains that got him into that Ivy school in the first place. He applies to law school.

The LD holds him down pretty hard, and his LSAT score is flat out bad. He decides that to disclose his LD along with his GPA would be one two many indicators that he couldn't handle schoolwork, despite his stellar grad school performance. He was pretty disheartened when he realized that working his ass off to get his masters didn't account for shit in his law school application.

So what he had to present was a terrible UGPA, a terrible LSAT score, a great grad gpa, a decent resume, glowing letters of recommendation, and the realization that the only two factors that matter are the UGPA and the LSAT score.

Of course the kid is only going to get into a tier 4.

Whether or not you think the kid deserves a chance to prove himself, he's probably smarter than most of the kids at most of the schools above him, he has four years more work and life experience than most of them, he's been through a hell of a lot of shit to get where he is, but none of it is the type of stuff you can write about in an essay that law schools like to read about. No one wants to read about surviving a rape or seeing your brother get shot or dealing with a severe anxiety disorder or a family member being put on trial for a violent crime.

This kid is going to law school because he has every right to go to law school, and he's going to a tier 4 because in his circumstances, no other school is going to give him a chance.

He's not an idiot, but he can't go back in time and do his undergrad when his world wasn't falling apart around him.

He's not stupid, but he can't take the LSAT without accommodations and score within a range that reflects his capabilities.

It just works out that way for him.

I'm sorry.

I just feel very strongly about this. GO to law school. If you only get into a t4, go to a t4. If you get into a t3, go to a t3. If you get into a t2, go to a t2.

But if the only school willing to recognize that not every student is the average student, that there are no special circumstances, that nothing goes horribly wrong sometimes and that most importantly because this none of the rest matters if this does not hold true

STUDENTS DO NOT DESERVE A SECOND CHANCE TO PROVE THEMSELVES

then damn, kid, go to the t4 school.

Go, kick ass, transfer up if you can, work your way up in the world, and tell anyone who encourages you to quit to go to hell.

For the love of god, do not quit.

I'm sorry, I've just read one too many of these posts today.
Last edited by wendyone on Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:50 am

wendyone wrote:Okay, I'm going to come out and say it.

Fuck the snobs who tell you not to go to school at all.

Fuck them.

Excuse my language. I'm really not a jerk. But it pisses me off.

The amount of arrogance it takes to assume that a person has no options but to attend a t4 because they are in some way intellectually inferior or lazy is unfounded and offensive.

There are many reasons some people don't ace the LSATs.

One very common one is LD. There are plenty of future law students with learning disabilities that do not interfere with their academic abilities as far as research, paper writing, debate, classwork, and even regular testing situations for the most part but for whom certain extreme timed testing conditions are very difficult.

Some of these students choose to disclose their LDs because they can receive accommodations which allow them to equitably take standardized tests and perform to the best of their abilities- this gives these testtakers no advantage over students without LDs- it simply removes their DISADVANTAGE.

However.

Many students rightly assume that LD is looked upon by the elite academic community with a stigma that potentially hurts them more than a low test score would, so they choose to fight it out and take the exam anyway.

There are more of these students than you think there are. High scoring students ignorantly assume that all students who score low do so because of lack of preparation, skill, or inferiority.

Documented learning disability rarely earns a first, much less second thought.

So much for the LSAT as an explanation for why no smart kids are forced to go to t4s.

What about GPA? What the excuse for that?

Well, what is the excuse?

What in a person's undergrad career could possibly cause them to falter in their grades? Let's see. It could be a variety of different factors. The trauma of a personal assault. The death of a close family member. The diagnosis of a serious illness. A father who is sent to prison. Any or all of these things. Suppose one of these stressful circumstances were to occur but the child should choose to continue to attend school rather than face the full impact of these terrible events. Their grades will suffer. It is the child's own choice. You may feel free to blame them. But you may also feel like a little bit of an asshole calling them lazy, especially when they're struggling through all of this at an Ivy league and you're praising a kid who's earning straight As at what you would consider a TTT undergrad.

So it's 5 or six years later and the kid has grown up and wants to get past whatever bad stuff kept him down in undergrad, and fulfill his full potential, the hard work and brains that got him into that Ivy school in the first place. He applies to law school.

The LD holds him down pretty hard, and his LSAT score is flat out bad. He decides that to disclose his LD along with his GPA would be one two many indicators that he couldn't handle schoolwork, despite his stellar grad school performance. He was pretty disheartened when he realized that working his ass off to get his masters didn't account for shit in his law school application.

So what he had to present was a terrible UGPA, a terrible LSAT score, a great grad gpa, a decent resume, glowing letters of recommendation, and the realization that the only two factors that matter are the UGPA and the LSAT score.

Of course the kid is only going to get into a tier 4.

Whether or not you think the kid deserves a chance to prove himself, he's probably smarter than most of the kids at most of the schools above him, he has four years more work and life experience than most of them, he's been through a hell of a lot of shit to get where he is, but none of it is the type of stuff you can write about in an essay that law schools like to read about. No one wants to read about surviving a rape or seeing your brother get shot or dealing with a severe anxiety disorder or a family member being put on trial for a violent crime.

This kid is going to law school because he has every right to go to law school, and he's going to a tier 4 because in his circumstances, no other school is going to give him a chance.

He's not an idiot, but he can't go back in time and do his undergrad when his world wasn't falling apart around him.

He's not stupid, but he can't take the LSAT without accommodations and score within a range that reflects his capabilities.

It just works out that way for him.

I'm sorry.

I just feel very strongly about this. GO to law school. If you only get into a t4, go to a t4. If you get into a t3, go to a t3. If you get into a t2, go to a t2.

But if the only school willing to recognize that not every student is the average student, that there are no special circumstances, that nothing goes horribly wrong sometimes and that most importantly because this none of the rest matters if this does not hold true

STUDENTS DO NOT DESERVE A SECOND CHANCE TO PROVE THEMSELVES

then damn, kid, go to the t4 school.

Go, kick ass, transfer up if you can, work your way up in the world, and tell anyone who encourages you to quit to go to hell.

For the love of god, do not quit.

I'm sorry, I've just read one too many of these posts today.
Yeah, everyone deserves the chance to piss away $150,000 on a worthless investment. You're goddamn right that's everyone's right! Hell, ABA should start opening T5 schools to fill all the demand from kids who deserve a second chance.

wendyone

New

Post by wendyone » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:56 am

im_blue wrote:
Yeah, everyone deserves the chance to piss away $150,000 on a worthless investment. You're goddamn right that's everyone's right! Hell, ABA should start opening T5 schools to fill all the demand from kids who deserve a second chance.
Sorry, kid, but an investment is worth exactly as much as the investor, no more and no less. It's exactly this sort of ignorant attitude that keeps the output from tier one schools mediocre.

Too many intelligent, capable people get frightened or bullied out of even trying because they didn't coast in on easy street.

cameronfraser88

New

Post by cameronfraser88 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:04 am

Maybe their LD would inhibit them from doing their job correctly. Maybe schools also give you the chance to write addendum for things like death in the family in regards to a shitty GPA.

wendyone

New

Post by wendyone » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:16 am

cameronfraser88 wrote:Maybe their LD would inhibit them from doing their job correctly. Maybe schools also give you the chance to write addendum for things like death in the family in regards to a shitty GPA.
They do. I don't know how seriously schools really take addenda honestly, if it's not just to explain a single anomaly. And if the LD, as I specified, applies solely to timed exams, I don't see how it would interfere with work-

unless the job is lifetime standardized test taker.

But you illustrate exactly why I mentioned those test takers choose not to disclose ADD for example. It's not something that keeps a person from doing a super high stress, high demand, 100% on task 70-80 hour a week job. But exams are difficult.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wendyone

New

Post by wendyone » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:29 am

Hmmm, I feel bad for ranting now.

I stand by my point though, which is that everyone has their own circumstances, people who go to t4s are NOT all idiots, some of them do end up being very successful, it IS much harder but you should be used to that by now if you've been out of college for any time at all which is likely if you are going to a t4, and in addition, there are a handful of students from most t4s every year who transfer up and outshine the bottom students in t3, t2, and occasionally t1 schools.

Even t14.

Don't put your money on that, because it's not all that common, and you'd have to do your homework and have a master plan, a shitload of diligence, and a bit of luck as well.

And it really doesn't hurt if you're a certifiable genius. :lol:

I personally have THREE friends who attended t4 schools on the east coast and are now working with competitive salaries in Boston and New York firms.

So if it never happens, it never happens but with three exceptions.

cameronfraser88

New

Post by cameronfraser88 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:31 pm

What LD apply ONLY to standardized tests and to nothing else?

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:34 pm

Last edited by leobowski on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wendyone

New

Post by wendyone » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:35 pm

cameronfraser88 wrote:What LD apply ONLY to standardized tests and to nothing else?
What other life experiences do you know that sit you down for 8 hours and time you on staring at a piece of paper with only one 15 minute break in between? Where you can't use adaptive strategies like speaking words aloud or at least forming the words silently on lips, tapping fingers or feet, using larger print or papers with larger spaces between lines or questions, or the ability to stand or stretch when needed?

Even in schools, it is a legal requirement to provide these accommodations, and they do. The problem isn't test taking once you're in school. The problem is the stigma attached that prevents people from getting in.

But more importantly, do you really want to make the argument that Americans with disabilities should be denied equitable educational opportunities?

Really?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cameronfraser88

New

Post by cameronfraser88 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:48 pm

wendyone wrote:
cameronfraser88 wrote:What LD apply ONLY to standardized tests and to nothing else?
What other life experiences do you know that sit you down for 8 hours and time you on staring at a piece of paper with only one 15 minute break in between? Where you can't use adaptive strategies like speaking words aloud or at least forming the words silently on lips, tapping fingers or feet, using larger print or papers with larger spaces between lines or questions, or the ability to stand or stretch when needed?

Even in schools, it is a legal requirement to provide these accommodations, and they do. The problem isn't test taking once you're in school. The problem is the stigma attached that prevents people from getting in.

But more importantly, do you really want to make the argument that Americans with disabilities should be denied equitable educational opportunities?

Really?
First of all the test isn't 8 hours long. You don't have time to stand or stretch when needed because most people need the entire time they are taking the test. I'm not saying they should be denied equitable educational opportunities, I'm just saying they shouldn't be held to a different standard than everyone for a disorders that constitute the most common mis diagnosis's out there. Do you realize how easy it is for someone to go to a doctor and convince them within 20 minutes they have a LD? If LSAC accommodated that then I guarantee there would be a lot of individuals with LD all of the sudden.

TonyDigital

Bronze

Post by TonyDigital » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:49 pm

I might eventually be going to a Tier 4 school and wouldn't mind..it dominates moot court competitions and likewise is ranked top 5 I believe for litigation. Anyhow...there are people that say anything out of Tier 1 is garbage. But you can find success stories at any level. Off the top of my head, James Carville graduated from LSU Law and one of the newest US Congressmen, Joseph Cao, graduated from Loyola New Orleans (Tier 3).

If you really think coming from a Tier 4 school will hinder you from reaching YOUR potential...maybe you don't have what it takes to be the next success story. I think truly successfuly people will succeed in a number of ways...whether coming from a top school like U of Texas or a T4 like Texas Southern for example. Obviously, a top school like UT will open many many more doors for you. But with the right amount of determination and hard work...you can open some doors on your own that might be closed to some of your classmates.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:50 pm

Going to a T4 could work out for you, but it is a huge risk. If you go to an unranked school, try to find one that has its own market and is cheap. (Montana, Mississippi, etc)

Do not end up in 6 figures of debt with only a degree from a school like Pace or NYLS to show for it. It is a horrible choice for 90%+ of the people who make it.

cfishy305

New

Post by cfishy305 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:51 pm

wendyone wrote:

Really?
One time I flew from Miami to London and challenged myself to do 40 sudoku puzzles ranging in difficulty and read Animal Farm cover to cover and no bathroom breaks. I made it to 5 pages left when we landed... it was harder than the LSAT... and, I ate a Chipotle Burrito before taking off. So you can imagine what the shit at Heathrow was like. hothothothothot

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”