Law School Tiers Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
General Tso

Gold

Re: Law School Tiers

Post by General Tso » Thu May 07, 2009 10:49 am

Cara wrote:
He got in to Tulane and Vandy and is choosing Tulane.
Did he get a guaranteed 3-year full scholarship with no GPA requirement from Tulane? Otherwise I call flame.
I think he got 40k+ per year at Tulane but he didnt mention GPA req.

krislaw25

New

Post by krislaw25 » Mon May 11, 2009 3:35 pm

Louisiana (at least New Orleans) has an awesome legal market. Where do you people get your information?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Mon May 11, 2009 6:02 pm

krislaw25 wrote:Louisiana (at least New Orleans) has an awesome legal market. Where do you people get your information?
My guess is a lack of biglaw firms in NOLA. Most people here judge a legal market by the number of NLJ250 firms. I don't know the exact number, and I would love to get my hands on a list of all NLJ250s by city/state, but with only 30% of Tulane grads staying in LA, I assume there aren't many NLJ250 firms in NOLA.

I'm sure it probably does have a decent small-to mid-law market. You would expect that with any city of ~500k people.

krislaw25

New

Post by krislaw25 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:18 pm

Yes, that makes sense. If you did go to a law school is LA though and did well, you could find a good law firm to work at that will pay you some big bucks here in New Orleans, maybe not as much as in NYC or DC, but the cost of living is a lot cheaper as well. And yes I am from here! Also, I suggest going to a law school in the city that you plan to work in. Local law firms recruit at the schools in their city, regardless of tier. Of course this is excluding any of the top 20 law schools. Definitely go to one of those regardless of their location and city you want to practice in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”