Law School Tiers Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lawfool

New

Re: Law School Tiers

Post by lawfool » Tue May 05, 2009 1:57 pm

Dispersing the class can definitely help with placement as it decreases your competition with other Tulane grads. However, national placement tends to refer more to the ability to get market paying jobs anywhere in the country. It is good for you that your class is spread out but that doesn't mean more than 5-10% of those grads are getting market paying jobs.

Harvard could send 95% of its class to Boston but a very significant percentage of graduates could take that degree to Florida and find a market paying job if one is out there.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue May 05, 2009 1:58 pm

I laugh whenever I see those people post. I highly doubt that anyone going to YHS spends their time trolling online - or at least if they do, they are probably way more creative about it than most of the trolls here.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue May 05, 2009 2:01 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Let me clarify something. Tulane is a decent enough school. I'm just saying it has better national placement (definition: graduates are spread over the entire united states). Duke essentially stays on the east coast, no? Cornell basically stays in NY, no? The University of California system school graduates pretty much all stay in California, no? (sans Berk) The University of Virginia grads basically stay on the east coast, no? NYU grads almost all stay in the northeast, no? Sure more of their graduates will receive "big law" positions; I never disputed that ( if you believe I did, see definition: retard). I am simply stating they place more of their graduates all over than the vast majority of all other law schools. According to the ABA 2009 guide, less than 23% stay in LA. About a third go to the northeast and 15% go to california. If that is not national, I am in need of enlightenment.
Dude, you're terribly confused.

Cornell basically stays in NY because it's 4 hours away from NYC. NYC is a huge legal market. Cornell is a small school. Do the math.

Duke and Virginia have great national placement (some of the best, actually, along with HLS and Michigan), largely because they aren't in big markets. The only T14s that don't have broad national dispersal WOULD have it if they weren't located in big markets.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Tue May 05, 2009 2:08 pm

Yeah you are right there are relatively "few" big firm jobs in LA for Tulane graduates. However, in theory, this would just push these graduates into the TX, GA, and possibly FL markets. It would not explain the concentrations in the northeast or California. I honestly have no clue how/why that is. It's possibly because Tulane is so old that, regardless of the performance if its graduates, the name carries enough weight to be respected (comparatively) on its own. If I am not mistaken, Tulane is the oldest law school in the south; so I am sure employers have been hearing the "name" often over the years. What do you think?

And to the guy that just posted. Sorry, I am not confused. I am not arguing why these schools do not move nationally. I am just stating that they do not. My whole point is that Tulane places better nationally (as in regions). Michigan basically focuses on the Chicago/northeast market. I'm going to have to dispute Duke and Virginia with you. HYS are at a different level from Michigan and the others; everyone knows this.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue May 05, 2009 2:50 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Michigan basically focuses on the Chicago/northeast market. I'm going to have to dispute Duke and Virginia with you. HYS are at a different level from Michigan and the others; everyone knows this.
WTF are you talking about?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue May 05, 2009 2:52 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Michigan basically focuses on the Chicago/northeast market. .

really now.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue May 05, 2009 2:52 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Tulane does place better nationallly than 99% of the other law schools. This would include 6 of the T14. Do they make $160k in big law? Probably the top 30% in firms make more than $120k. But they place more people all over the US and nationally. Please don't listen to the people that have not done any research aside from re us news rankings. They are idiots. Thank you.
Somebody drank the Tulane kool-aid, I see.

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Tue May 05, 2009 2:54 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Yeah you are right there are relatively "few" big firm jobs in LA for Tulane graduates. However, in theory, this would just push these graduates into the TX, GA, and possibly FL markets. It would not explain the concentrations in the northeast or California. I honestly have no clue how/why that is. It's possibly because Tulane is so old that, regardless of the performance if its graduates, the name carries enough weight to be respected (comparatively) on its own. If I am not mistaken, Tulane is the oldest law school in the south; so I am sure employers have been hearing the "name" often over the years. What do you think?

And to the guy that just posted. Sorry, I am not confused. I am not arguing why these schools do not move nationally. I am just stating that they do not. My whole point is that Tulane places better nationally (as in regions). Michigan basically focuses on the Chicago/northeast market. I'm going to have to dispute Duke and Virginia with you. HYS are at a different level from Michigan and the others; everyone knows this.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue May 05, 2009 2:57 pm

awesomepossum wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Michigan basically focuses on the Chicago/northeast market. .

really now.
Now, now, AP - you must not dilute Aberzombie's fictitious notions with cold, hard facts. It'd be much too cruel.

Sheesh, there I was believing the Michigan alumni when they told me that nearly a third of their own class headed to Cali after graduating. There goes my dream of settling in SF three years from now. I knew I should've gone to Tulane.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Tue May 05, 2009 2:59 pm

Tulane is known for giving out bogus employment statistics based on only a small percentage of their class reporting salary. Aberzombie has made one of the most misinformed and delusional posts ever on TLS, in my opinion.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue May 05, 2009 3:09 pm

Not defending Aberzombie or Tulane here....it's a pretty average school with a shady history of fudging salary stats as geoanthem says. They do tend to move around a lot but I think it's probably due more to a combination of self-selection and desperation for a job than it is the supposed high demand for Tulane grads. Self-selection is due to Tulane drawing in a regionally diverse group of students who never wanted to live in Louisiana in the first place. Desperation is due to the fact that Louisiana has no real legal market.

But nonetheless they do seem to move around quite a bit...check out the geographic distribution of Tulane grads on Martindale

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Tue May 05, 2009 3:12 pm

swheat wrote:Not defending Aberzombie or Tulane here....it's a pretty average school with a shady history of fudging salary stats as geoanthem says. They do tend to move around a lot but I think it's probably due more to a combination of self-selection and desperation than it is the supposed high demand for Tulane grads. Self-selection is due to Tulane drawing in a regionally diverse group of students who never wanted to live in Louisiana in the first place. Desperation is due to the fact that Louisiana has no real legal market.

But nonetheless they do seem to move around quite a bit...check out the geographic distribution of Tulane grads on Martindale
This is true. I went to Tulane for 2 years before transferring to Emory as an undergrad. After a while I couldn't stand New Orleans and had to get out. So I bet I'm not alone...

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue May 05, 2009 3:13 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Yeah you are right there are relatively "few" big firm jobs in LA for Tulane graduates. However, in theory, this would just push these graduates into the TX, GA, and possibly FL markets. It would not explain the concentrations in the northeast or California. I honestly have no clue how/why that is. It's possibly because Tulane is so old that, regardless of the performance if its graduates, the name carries enough weight to be respected (comparatively) on its own. If I am not mistaken, Tulane is the oldest law school in the south; so I am sure employers have been hearing the "name" often over the years. What do you think?

Yeah, and it's totally irrelevant whether schools move around nationally because they're not in a prized location or because the degree holds no national mobility.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue May 05, 2009 3:18 pm

geoanthem wrote:
swheat wrote:Not defending Aberzombie or Tulane here....it's a pretty average school with a shady history of fudging salary stats as geoanthem says. They do tend to move around a lot but I think it's probably due more to a combination of self-selection and desperation than it is the supposed high demand for Tulane grads. Self-selection is due to Tulane drawing in a regionally diverse group of students who never wanted to live in Louisiana in the first place. Desperation is due to the fact that Louisiana has no real legal market.

This is true. I went to Tulane for 2 years before transferring to Emory as an undergrad. After a while I couldn't stand New Orleans and had to get out. So I bet I'm not alone...
If the Tulane student population is at all accurately represented by the few people I know who went there, it's full of Jewish American Princesses who wanted a prestigious named school, didn't get into Rice or Duke, so just decided to party in NOLA with daddy's money.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue May 05, 2009 3:23 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
geoanthem wrote:

If the Tulane student population is at all accurately represented by the few people I know who went there, it's full of Jewish American Princesses who wanted a prestigious named school, didn't get into Rice or Duke, so just decided to party in NOLA with daddy's money.
LOL...now quietly awaiting the wrath of the JAPs

metblvette

New

Post by metblvette » Tue May 05, 2009 5:00 pm

This is my theory. Tulane is the best school that accepted you, and you now feel the need to justify your choice to yourself and others. It's natural. Not a big deal.

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Tue May 05, 2009 5:11 pm

metblvette wrote:

This is my theory. Tulane is the best school that accepted you, and you now feel the need to justify your choice to yourself and others. It's natural. Not a big deal.
TITCR. OP has 150/3.2

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Tue May 05, 2009 5:22 pm

"places better nationally"

a reasonable interpretation of these words would be the opportunities it affords each individual student

an unreasonable interpretation of these words would be the statistical data of where graduates tend to end up, ignoring that top students tend to go to top markets

there's a big difference between "placing better" and "placing more"
Last edited by zanda on Tue May 05, 2009 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue May 05, 2009 5:22 pm

geoanthem wrote:[quote="metblvette"

TITCR. OP has 150/3.2[/quote]

Actually guys it's worse than that. He got in to Tulane and Vandy and is choosing Tulane.

The numbers in his profile are apparently fake. Or he is creating fictional threads about needing to choose between Tulane and Vandy.

blackacre

New

Post by blackacre » Wed May 06, 2009 2:59 am

Ari Gold got a JD/MBA from Michigan. That is proof alone that Michigan is not limited to Mid West or Chicago. He's in LA with big things popping!

I just pwned your asses!

trigirdbers1

New

Post by trigirdbers1 » Wed May 06, 2009 3:06 am

Titcr.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zonkadonk

New

Post by zonkadonk » Wed May 06, 2009 3:09 am

blackacre wrote:Ari Gold got a JD/MBA from Michigan. That is proof alone that Michigan is not limited to Mid West or Chicago. He's in LA with big things popping!

I just pwned your asses!
no, ari just has connections because he was a harvard ug. he parlayed the h-bomb into his agency gig and basically has to hide the fact that he went to michigan. i mean, vince and e didn't seem to respect mich at all-remember that jab about them having a good football team? and there's the whole thing where he helped davies' boss in econ as an undergrad? definitley just watched some entourage dvd's

but seriously, ari should have gone to tulane

badlydrawn

Bronze

Post by badlydrawn » Wed May 06, 2009 3:44 am

metblvette wrote:This is my theory. Tulane is the best school that accepted you, and you now feel the need to justify your choice to yourself and others. It's natural. Not a big deal.
Definitely true in my case.

ibinsocal

New

Post by ibinsocal » Thu May 07, 2009 2:52 am

So why all the Tulane hate here? I thought it was a pretty damn good school.

Cara

New

Post by Cara » Thu May 07, 2009 2:59 am

He got in to Tulane and Vandy and is choosing Tulane.
Did he get a guaranteed 3-year full scholarship with no GPA requirement from Tulane? Otherwise I call flame.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”