Does anyone else hate paralegal-ing? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
nmoor1501

New

Does anyone else hate paralegal-ing?

Post by nmoor1501 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:14 pm

I hate it, I mean... it has almost made me change my mind about law school. I work (when I manage to be employed) in a plaintiff's personal injury law firm - I am hoping that is my problem.

Paralegal work is so damn boring. Calendaring and discovery, yuck. I was recently fired because I just couldn't help myself from being a smart ass to my dumb ass 26 year old attorney (who graduated from a t6). I don't really have the personality for it, or the patience. I am hoping I enjoy being a lawyer more!

billykelly76

New

Re: Does anyone else hate paralegal-ing?

Post by billykelly76 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:20 pm

There is a lot you can with a JD that doesn't involve firm work.

Garinold

New

Post by Garinold » Mon May 04, 2009 11:27 pm

What did you do that got you fired?

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon May 04, 2009 11:35 pm

Hahaha, you got fired. Now you have to explain why later when you apply to the bar.

nmoor1501

New

Post by nmoor1501 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:37 pm

Lxw wrote:Hahaha, you got fired. Now you have to explain why later when you apply to the bar.
What? No way. Really?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon May 04, 2009 11:42 pm

nmoor1501 wrote:
Lxw wrote:Hahaha, you got fired. Now you have to explain why later when you apply to the bar.
What? No way. Really?
Yea dude, most bar associations ask you to list all employment you've held, and to attach an addendum explaining yourself if you were fired or quit in lieu of a firing.

broncos06

New

Post by broncos06 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:43 pm

Paralegal-ing is awful. Enough said.

nmoor1501

New

Post by nmoor1501 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:46 pm

Hm... I have been temping for a few months, and I just added that month to temp experience. Will I really have to dredge up that short employment? Damn.

I was fired for logging on to Facebook, but since the only time I ever logged on was the day before I was fired, I don't believe that is truly why. I think the attorney I worked for didn't really like me, or appreciate that I sent some correspondence to the wrong opposing counsel. He was such a 26 year old daft, and I sort of let his idiotic personality get to me. I can be a smart ass. Oh and the second week, during trial for a case I was on, I went home sick with a hangover. And 9 of 11 employee's were Mormon. They didn't understand...

Clever username

New

Post by Clever username » Mon May 04, 2009 11:47 pm

nmoor1501 wrote:Hm... I have been temping for a few months, and I just added that month to temp experience. Will I really have to dredge up that short employment? Damn.

I was fired for logging on to Facebook, but since the only time I ever logged on was the day before I was fired, I don't believe that is truly why. I think the attorney I worked for didn't really like me, or appreciate that I sent some correspondence to the wrong opposing counsel. He was such a 26 year old daft, and I sort of let his idiotic personality get to me. I can be a smart ass. Oh and the second week, during trial for a case I was on, I went home sick with a hangover. And 9 of 11 employee's were Mormon. They didn't understand...
Why don't you read this poster over again and then tell us who the idiot is.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nmoor1501

New

Post by nmoor1501 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:50 pm

Clever username wrote:
nmoor1501 wrote:Hm... I have been temping for a few months, and I just added that month to temp experience. Will I really have to dredge up that short employment? Damn.

Ok, you can read this one and tell me who the ass hole is.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon May 04, 2009 11:52 pm

nmoor1501 wrote:
Clever username wrote:

Both of you read this over and tell me who the failures are :wink:

nmoor1501

New

Post by nmoor1501 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:54 pm

Lxw wrote:
nmoor1501 wrote:
Clever username wrote:

Both of you read this over and tell me who the failures are :wink:

Ouch. I didn't expect such negative feedback while sharing my story of being fired. Thanks guys.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon May 04, 2009 11:56 pm

nmoor1501 wrote:Ouch. I didn't expect such negative feedback while sharing my story of being fired. Thanks guys.
I didn't expect you to totally misread facetiousness. I'll even wink to let you know: :wink:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sesame_Jesus

New

Post by Sesame_Jesus » Mon May 04, 2009 11:59 pm

I work as a paralegal in DC. I do cite-checking and Bluebooking, which is supposedly something that a lot first-year associates do in other firms. It's not enthralling or intellectually stimulating, but it's very far from terrible. Graduated college a couple of years ago, so it's not like I'm a career paralegal or anything. But it sounds like my conception of working as a paralegal is very different from yours.

river85

New

Post by river85 » Tue May 05, 2009 12:02 am

Yeah I'm a paralegal and it blows. But um it sort of sounds like you deserved to get fired. Sending the wrong correspondence, going home hung over during trial, yipes, all of that is pretty serious stuff.

nmoor1501

New

Post by nmoor1501 » Tue May 05, 2009 12:07 am

I have been doing personal injury work, which I personally find pretty disdainful. There is a lot of fraud going on on the part of clients -I saw a chiro bill for a 5 year old for 20k. Ridiculous! Though insurance companies are not very good to their customers, so they deserve some of it.

Hopefully, the work I find after law school won't be so morally objectable... who knows though.

nmoor1501

New

Post by nmoor1501 » Tue May 05, 2009 12:13 am

river85 wrote:

Yeah I'm a paralegal and it blows. But um it sort of sounds like you deserved to get fired. Sending the wrong correspondence, going home hung over during trial, yipes, all of that is pretty serious stuff.
Yea... maybe. I am really not the best paralegal, to be honest, I am a bigger picture kinda gal and I hate getting paper cuts.
However, the day I was fired a subpoena was sent to the wrong office by another paralegal who had been there for over a year. And you had to search case folders for the name of the opposing counsel since they didn't enter it the case management software and my attorney held the files hostage. Also, my attorney would just drop docs from one case into another, instead of using standard form docs, so misinformation was all over the files.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nmoor1501

New

Post by nmoor1501 » Tue May 05, 2009 12:14 am

nmoor1501 wrote:
river85 wrote:

Yea... maybe. I am really not the best paralegal, to be honest, I am a bigger picture kinda gal and I hate getting paper cuts.
However, the day I was fired a subpoena was sent to the wrong office by another paralegal who had been there for over a year. And you had to search case folders for the name of the opposing counsel since they didn't enter it the case management software and my attorney held the files hostage. Also, my attorney would just drop docs from one case into another, instead of using standard form docs, so misinformation was all over the files.
Not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me...

srb

New

Post by srb » Tue May 05, 2009 12:24 am

Being a paralegal sucks. The people who are good at it realize they can go to law school and get paid for doing the work they are already doing, the people who suck at it make being a paralegal shittastic because everyone automatically thinks you are lazy and stupid. It's a no-win situation. Hence why I will only be doing it for 4 more days. Longest 2+ yrs of my life!!

freighton

New

Post by freighton » Tue May 05, 2009 12:29 am

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I am counting the days until I put in my two weeks notice.

What kind of work paralegal work did you do?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue May 05, 2009 12:32 am

nmoor1501 wrote:Ouch. I didn't expect such negative feedback while sharing my story of being fired. Thanks guys.
To be fair, you made yourself look like you really deserved to be fired.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue May 05, 2009 12:36 am

nmoor1501 wrote:Yea... maybe. I am really not the best paralegal, to be honest, I am a bigger picture kinda gal and I hate getting paper cuts.
I understand it. Paper cuts aren't that bad, in the end, when you consider that the alternative is 'flipping' through hundreds of documents that are entered into a computer, which are only accessible by craptastic proprietary software that crashes at least once a day, where the documents have seemingly random 3-4 letter long designators which make no sense, are scanned into the computer in the form of (sometimes accurate) searchable text that doesn't correspond to the actual document, thereby nullifying the entire purpose of using a searchable text when you end up having to read the original document anyway so you can properly cite them.

And when your boss tells you to jump, you not only ask "How high?" but "Off which leg?" and "Shall I try to touch the ceiling?"

jschuyler

New

Post by jschuyler » Tue May 05, 2009 12:39 am

nmoor1501 wrote:And 9 of 11 employee's were Mormon. They didn't understand...
You know Mormons are the same
No matter time nor place
They don't understand that us kids
Are going to make some mistakes
So to you other kids all across the land
There's no need to argue
Mormons just don't understand

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue May 05, 2009 12:43 am

So at work this guy who was Mormon asked if anyone wanted to help him move at the rate of $20/hr. Some guy was like "You don't have to pay me, just buy me a beer."

The Mormon responded "Well, I don't drink beer, and I certainly wouldn't buy anyone a beer."

Social Fail.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Tue May 05, 2009 12:44 am

jschuyler wrote:
nmoor1501 wrote:And 9 of 11 employee's were Mormon. They didn't understand...
You know Mormons are the same
No matter time nor place
They don't understand that us kids
Are going to make some mistakes
So to you other kids all across the land
There's no need to argue
Mormons just don't understand
Not bad, not bad at all.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”