Help!! Chicago: "Decision Pending" Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
LawDog3

New

Help!! Chicago: "Decision Pending"

Post by LawDog3 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:18 pm

Ever since late-December, my Chicago Law status checker has said "File Under Review". Last Thursday, it changed to "Decision Pending". My question is, does anyone know what it means for Chicago Law to do this? I would think they have no reason to do anything but give me my decision.

My file has been "under review" for several months. Why not just give me my decision when it comes out? What does the school or the student gain from this change in notification, and what does it mean? If I am being rejected, why not just tell me I'm rejected once a decision comes out? If I am admitted or waitlisted, why not do the same? Why take an applicant through the ups and downs?

Mind you, I am pretty savvy about admissions, but this is a new one.

jaen78

New

Re: Help!! Chicago: "Decision Pending"

Post by jaen78 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:11 pm

When my status checker went to decision pending I got an acceptance call later that day. I hate to say it, but if you don't hear anything by tomorrow, you're probably out/WL.

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:17 am

jaen78 wrote:When my status checker went to decision pending I got an acceptance call later that day. I hate to say it, but if you don't hear anything by tomorrow, you're probably out/WL.
WRONG. Actually, everyone whose status checkers have changed to "decision pending" over the last 2-3 weeks has reported no phone calls and no snail mail rejections/WLs. That includes A LOT of people, and I'm not being optimistic for my own benefit, considering the fact that I'm not really part of that group of people. Basically, I seriously doubt they're going to reject/waitlist all those applicants, and if that was their intention, where are the letters?

My guess is that they have these stacks of pre-reviewed applications sitting with the committee right now and they're comparing them, trying to take a holistic approach to creating the rest of their 2012 class.

LawDog3

New

Post by LawDog3 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:28 pm

They sure are takin' hella time! If I get in there - and I am hoping that I do - I can slice off half of my list, and that will make things much easier for me. I am so tired of wondering. But the adcoms don't seem to know what they want to do this year.

If Chicago takes me, I'm down to Harvard, Columbia, Chicago (IN), UCLA, Duke (?), Michigan, Virginia (WL). And then it just depends on what those schools do with admissions and money.

LawDog3

New

Post by LawDog3 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:34 pm

MissMaroon wrote:
jaen78 wrote:When my status checker went to decision pending I got an acceptance call later that day. I hate to say it, but if you don't hear anything by tomorrow, you're probably out/WL.
WRONG. Actually, everyone whose status checkers have changed to "decision pending" over the last 2-3 weeks has reported no phone calls and no snail mail rejections/WLs. That includes A LOT of people, and I'm not being optimistic for my own benefit, considering the fact that I'm not really part of that group of people. Basically, I seriously doubt they're going to reject/waitlist all those applicants, and if that was their intention, where are the letters?

My guess is that they have these stacks of pre-reviewed applications sitting with the committee right now and they're comparing them, trying to take a holistic approach to creating the rest of their 2012 class.
That sounds a bit more realistic. It's different at different schools. I don't know Chicago very well, but my undergrad counselor says they probably made some "cuts", and they want you to stay interested b/c the 4/15 national deposit deadline is approaching. They may want people to make sure they set aside money for THEM.

If you're getting rejected, no warning or advanced notice is needed. Like: "It's coming...it's coming...and thank you for applying, we don't want you."

Does that scenario even make sense? To the contrary, they could be generating admissions packets and financial aid award letters.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yesofcourse

New

Post by yesofcourse » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:36 pm

I went to decision pending on 3/27 and I am surely not expecting anything better than a WL

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:41 pm

LawDog3 wrote:Ever since late-December, my Chicago Law status checker has said "File Under Review". Last Thursday, it changed to "Decision Pending". My question is, does anyone know what it means for Chicago Law to do this? I would think they have no reason to do anything but give me my decision.

My file has been "under review" for several months. Why not just give me my decision when it comes out? What does the school or the student gain from this change in notification, and what does it mean? If I am being rejected, why not just tell me I'm rejected once a decision comes out? If I am admitted or waitlisted, why not do the same? Why take an applicant through the ups and downs?

umm... flame? Chicago doesn't have a "file under review" stage. you go straight from "complete" to "decision pending."

thesouthside

New

Post by thesouthside » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:43 pm

LawDog3 wrote: Mind you, I am pretty savvy about admissions, but this is a new one.
FAIL

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:24 pm

FYI, I had this happen to me too. Still nada.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

danr2040

New

Post by danr2040 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:02 pm

Me three, I switched to "decision pending" this week.

Has anyone received a call yet? Not that I am expecting anything better than a waitlist, but it would be nice to know if they are sending out calls to the lucky few.

LawDog3

New

Post by LawDog3 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:01 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
LawDog3 wrote:Ever since late-December, my Chicago Law status checker has said "File Under Review". Last Thursday, it changed to "Decision Pending". My question is, does anyone know what it means for Chicago Law to do this? I would think they have no reason to do anything but give me my decision.

umm... flame? Chicago doesn't have a "file under review" stage. you go straight from "complete" to "decision pending."
You're wrong. My status checker said "File Under Review". Maybe your data entry person was doing things differently. But that's what mine said.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”