Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
The Evil Genius

Re: Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby The Evil Genius » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:36 pm

SoftBoiledLife owned TFA and turned the school around... This movie was based on him... Although they made some changes... Changed his name from "SoftBoiledLife" to "Mr. Clark".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM8GcPWy ... re=related

Postby 20160810 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:36 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:I turned down TfA to do law school instead- actually, my phone interview process was significantly truncated (You work in Milwaukee Public Schools? *2 minutes of idle chit-chat* Ok, you'll be hearing from us soon.) The in-person interview/tryout was about the same.

I never said full-time teachers were good at their jobs. In fact, I'm pretty sure I said otherwise. That doesn't diminish the fact that people who go in to TfA with *full knowledge* that it is going to be nothing but a resume line are using the suffering of a generation of children to make their resume look better, or to "get a free master's degree" as the case may be.

I have several friends who went through TfA. They decided to do the experience, unsure if education was where their heart was or not. They decided it wasn't- same as the countless people who give up on the profession after being exposed to the living hell that is urban education. However, at least they weren't going in to it with the sole intention of making their resumes look better. I've heard stories about their "fellow corps members" who essentially tormented their students. Once they realized that they had no interest in teaching, and no long-term investment in it- they simply took out how shitty those two years were on the students.

Is that you SBL? No, I doubt it. Is TfA a bad program? No, because some of the TfA folks *do* end up staying in education... and those folks are likely to make fantastic teachers. However, people talking about students as tickets to free master's degrees and resume additions is disgusting; particularly when it is coming from people who obviously didn't grow up in anything approaching the hell the kids in urban schools have to deal with.

If people are solid teachers, who cares what their motivation is? Doesn't matter if they are in it for a resume builder, because they love education, or as some weird form of devil-worship. They are hardly "using the suffering of a generation of children to make their resume look better" if they end up getting the job done, in my opinion.

Besides which, I'd be shocked if the people who really weren't in it for the kids made it past Institute (a six-week summer training course for TFA where the average person sleeps about 4 hours a night, if they're lucky).

The Evil Genius

Postby The Evil Genius » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:42 pm

This used to be the pep talks I'd give my kids when I was at TFA. You got to go for the jugular or they don't respect you. You got to be the HNIC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ1hKtYO ... re=related

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:45 pm

I suppose I have a difficult time imagining that anyone would make be a solid teacher in an urban environment if they didn't have a legitimate desire to teach, at least when they were going in.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:47 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:I suppose I have a difficult time imagining that anyone would make be a solid teacher in an urban environment if they didn't have a legitimate desire to teach, at least when they were going in.

This accounts for a verrrrrrrrrrry small percentage of TFA Corps Members. And anyone like this who chooses to join and makes it in usually quits within a month or so once they realize it's hard work.

.... Now people like me who realize they don't like teaching later... probably a few of us.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:52 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote: This accounts for a verrrrrrrrrrry small percentage of TFA Corps Members.

As in people who have no legitimate desire to teach?

I'll admit that my knowledge about that is all second-hand- all I have is the horror stories from friends of mine. Like I said, I have respect for people who go in to TFA with a legitimate interest in teaching. Frankly, for people on the fence, it is "safer" for the profession than people with an ed degree anyway. Horrible people get ed degrees and make horrible teachers, but they have no "out," so they stay, and continue being horrible teachers. With TFA, if you decide teaching isn't for you once you've experience it, you go elsewhere. There's no shame in that- teaching really isn't for everyone; it isn't nearly as fulfilling (for most people) as expected, it isn't nearly as intellectually challenging, etc.

I thought I was clear in my initial post that the only people who really bother me are the ones who go in to it knowing it is just for the resume. Apparently not- sorry about that.

EdmondDantes

Postby EdmondDantes » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:10 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote: This accounts for a verrrrrrrrrrry small percentage of TFA Corps Members.

As in people who have no legitimate desire to teach?

I'll admit that my knowledge about that is all second-hand- all I have is the horror stories from friends of mine. Like I said, I have respect for people who go in to TFA with a legitimate interest in teaching. Frankly, for people on the fence, it is "safer" for the profession than people with an ed degree anyway. Horrible people get ed degrees and make horrible teachers, but they have no "out," so they stay, and continue being horrible teachers. With TFA, if you decide teaching isn't for you once you've experience it, you go elsewhere. There's no shame in that- teaching really isn't for everyone; it isn't nearly as fulfilling (for most people) as expected, it isn't nearly as intellectually challenging, etc.

I thought I was clear in my initial post that the only people who really bother me are the ones who go in to it knowing it is just for the resume. Apparently not- sorry about that.[/quote]

Agree with that wholeheartedly... However I also agree that these were the people who quit during the first weeks at Institute or the first few days at their schools. We've lost a fair amount with more leaving at the end of the first year.

It really is sad how messed up the state of education is in this country. I'm sure that all involved also know that this educational problem is a direct reflection on social problems and social inequality. Millions of students get SCREWED every single day inside their failing schools due to poor leadership, lack of funding, horrible teachers who fall asleep at their desks and a non-existent family life. TFA will never fix anything and we are a complete band-aid, but the vast majority of people involved in TFA really do have good and honest motivations.

NosferatuDracon

Postby NosferatuDracon » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:19 pm

In Philly you can get a certificate or masters degree from either Chestnut Hill College or University of Pennsylvania. Cost is either $8400 at UPenn or $8000 at Chestnut Hill College for the certificate. The masters degree at UPenn costs $36,000 and is $16000 at Chestnut Hill College.

Camden you can either go to UPenn or to Monclair State(ECE only) and the cost for that certificate is $2300.

kaymore

Postby kaymore » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:47 pm

In Baltimore most corps members get a Masters in Teaching through The Johns Hopkins University. Some masters degrees in high needs areas (special education, math, science, and language) are covered 100% by the City of Baltimore and AmeriCorps if corps members agree to give two additional years of service. Other teaching degrees are covered between 50% and 75%. Even if you don't want to give additional years of service, most corps members only have $2,000-$4,000 to pay after the AmeriCorps grants.

Hope this helps.

kitt kat

Postby kitt kat » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:10 pm

Super bump since I find out in about two weeks if I got in or not.

In LA, the LMU program gives you the credential (one year) or the master's option (two years). The credential costs $5,482 while the master's+credential costs $9,864. Obviously splurging the extra $4300 seems like the better deal. (This is with the Americorps award deduction already, though.)

lebroniousjames

Postby lebroniousjames » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:03 pm

-
Last edited by lebroniousjames on Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:20 pm

Tagging the thread- I'm TFA in Bmore if anyone has questions, but a few posts back someone already did a great job answering the master's degree question in Baltimore

Return to “Law School FAQ”