Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
kcg171
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:54 am

Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby kcg171 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:52 pm

Since this is important to a lot of people who are considering TFA, and because many people are just throwing out incorrect info, I thought we could pool our experiences in different regions to give a more accurate list of where corps members really get a free master's degree. (The TFA website is a little misleading, IMO)

# Atlanta-


# Baltimore-


# Bay Area- No way. You are forced to take classes (usually at Alliant International University, which is as big of a joke as it sounds), and you are forced to use your Americorps stipend to pay for it.


# Charlotte- You can go to UNC Charlotte for free. If you are really on top of things, you could probably get a master's degree, but it usually takes longer than your two years. It is def. possible, though.


# Chicago-


# Connecticut-


# D.C. Region-Master's degree from American University is about $11,000. After you get your Americorps reward (around $4,700 per year) you will be paying a little under $2,000. I took out loans to pay and I will pay these loans back with my Americorps money once I receive it in June. Those who teach Early Childhood education or Special Ed get their Master's from GMU. I'm not sure how much a Master's from there costs.
FYI the M.A.T. from AU without the TFA discount is about $40,000.


# Dallas-


# Denver-


# Eastern North Carolina


# Greater New Orleans-In South Louisiana and GNO, you do not earn a master's degree, though you do earn certification for about $2,000. But sadly, it is not a graduate degree.


# Greater Philadelphia-Camden


# Hawai'i


# Houston


# Indianapolis


# Jacksonville


# Kansas City


# Las Vegas Valley


# Los Angeles


# Memphis


# Miami-Dade


# Milwaukee


# Mississippi Delta-"In the Mississippi Delta, you can take pretty much any graduate level courses you want at Delta State for free. You have to fill out some papers and do a "project" at your school, which is generally some extracurricular activity you're already leading."


# Nashville


# New Mexico


# New York City


# Newark


# Phoenix


# Rio Grande Valley


# South Dakota


# South Louisiana


# St. Louis


# Tulsa
Last edited by kcg171 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
kcg171
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:54 am

Re: Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby kcg171 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:40 pm

Bump for people looking but not sharing valuable info!

aspiringlawyer
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:23 am

Re: Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby aspiringlawyer » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:49 pm

DC region: Master's degree from American University is about $11,000. After you get your Americorps reward (around $4,700 per year) you will be paying a little under $2,000. I took out loans to pay and I will pay these loans back with my Americorps money once I receive it in June. Those who teach Early Childhood education or Special Ed get their Master's from GMU. I'm not sure how much a Master's from there costs.

FYI the M.A.T. from AU without the TFA discount is about $40,000.

Also, some of my friends teach in Philadelphia and their M.A.T. From UPenn is about $30,000. After the Americorps award is factored in they will be paying around $21,000. This could change year-to-year, but this is what some of the people I knew from the Philadelphia Institute told me.

User avatar
misspippers
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:07 am

Re: Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby misspippers » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:13 am

I am currently in Teach for America -- Greater New Orleans.

In South Louisiana and GNO, you do not earn a master's degree, though you do earn certification for about $2,000. But sadly, it is not a graduate degree. DC corps members go to GW or American; Phoenix corps members go to ASU; Los Angeles corps members go to Loyola Marymount; Baltimore corps members go to Johns Hopkins; Philadelphia corps members go to Penn. I don't know about a lot of the rest and I doubt these programs are "free."

That said, TFA is totally worth it. I've loved every minute of it. And, you do get $10,000 in Americorps money and almost all of the top law schools offer automatic fee waivers to TFAs. UChicago even has a call for TFAs on their website.

Don't do TFA for a free master's degree or for a resume plug; do it because you want to make a difference in children's lives. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go to law school when I graduated from George Washington last year; this year has given me a great opportunity to improve myself while contributing to a new community and learning more about myself. Now, I know that I will be applying to schools for fall of 2010.

Let me know if you have any questions about TFA.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby 20160810 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:54 am

misspippers wrote:That said, TFA is totally worth it.


If you've always wanted to kill yourself, but just need that extra push, then TITCR

User avatar
kcg171
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:54 am

Re: Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby kcg171 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:00 am

SBL, I wish you could come to my classroom for the day. My kids would give you hugs and draw you pictures and melt your cold, high school heart.

User avatar
joobacca
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:49 am

Re: Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby joobacca » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:05 am

is it difficult to deal with poor people?

User avatar
Someperson
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:57 am

Re: Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby Someperson » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:13 am

joobacca wrote:is it difficult to deal with poor people?


You see SBL's Tar? That's an artist's rendering of him after he left the TFA program. Before, he looked like this:

Image

It aged him so much.

wulfffish
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:29 am

Re: Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby wulfffish » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:28 am

In NYC you choose between several schools that TFA has established a partnership with. These range from the CUNY schools (lowest cost) to schools like Fordham. The post service "Americorps bonus" covers about the cost of the cheapest grad program (unsure about books etc). However, the responsibility to cover immediate costs for the grad program is yours (and obviously this means that the Americacorps bonus advertised goes towards "repaying" you for your masters).

This is a great resource. Its difficult to get details on each region's arrangement until you are contemplating an offer for one particular region.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:32 am

Since when does Milwaukee have a TfA chapter? I would highly encourage against teaching in Milwaukee Public Schools unless you are either A) A saint, or B) have a death wish (Probably self-inflicted, though maybe not.)

EdmondDantes
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:38 pm

Re: Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby EdmondDantes » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:18 pm

TFA St. Louis - Able to earn Master's Degree from UMSL (University of Missouri- St. Louis). Classes are worthless and painful... it is your ultimate degree mill where they take money and give terrible classes. You do get paid more however if you were ever to enter into a government job.

User avatar
The Evil Genius
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby The Evil Genius » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:22 pm

misspippers wrote:That said, TFA is totally worth it.


If you want to fear for your life... And know that your school doesn't have the resources to protect you or control their student population, then yes... This is correct... You're inserted into the worst possible schools as a stop-gap measure at best... You are in no way qualified to be these students teachers, but those that are qualified would never set foot in the school you are going to be placed in.

It is not free... It is not fun... Don't believe the hype.
Last edited by The Evil Genius on Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EdmondDantes
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:38 pm

Re: Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby EdmondDantes » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:24 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Since when does Milwaukee have a TfA chapter? I would highly encourage against teaching in Milwaukee Public Schools unless you are either A) A saint, or B) have a death wish (Probably self-inflicted, though maybe not.)


:roll:

And this is why they have Teach For America... this goes for ALL of the regions we are placed in. The applicant pool for these schools is very, very, very small. It really is unreal what most of us deal with every day.

User avatar
misspippers
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:07 am

Re: Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby misspippers » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:43 pm

The Evil Genius wrote:
misspippers wrote:That said, TFA is totally worth it.


If you want to fear for your life... And know that your school doesn't have the resources to protect you or control their student population, then yes... This is correct... You're inserted into the worst possible schools as a stop-gap measure at best... You are in no way qualified to be these students teachers, but those that are qualified would never set foot in the school you are going to be placed in.

It is not free... It is not fun... Don't believe the hype.



Based on your comment of "it is not free... it is not fun," did you quit? I am not a TFA groupie. I roll my eyes at many of those who speak of TFA as being a second coming of the messiah. You are absolutely right; there are a lot of challenges and ideally it wouldn't be necessary. But to imply that I am not qualified to teach these students is making a huge assumption on my academic background and knowledge of education. I know more about my subject matter, English, than the average education major; I don't think it's necessary to repeat my resume for your benefit, but trust me, I am a professional author and know reading and writing like the back of my hand. Of course there are challenges, but your statements imply that you are at best ignorant about many TFA teachers.

TFA is only as good as you make it; if you're looking for a "break" or 10,000 in loan repayment, you'll suck. If you're dedicated to making kids' lives better, you could be the best thing that has ever happened to your students.

Oh, and my kids came into my class reading on a 3rd grade reading level (I teach 9th grade) and they're already up to almost a 6th grade level. Go watch "Freedom Writers" if you don't think atypical teachers can make a difference.

User avatar
The Evil Genius
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby The Evil Genius » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:56 pm

misspippers wrote:

Based on your comment of "it is not free... it is not fun," did you quit? I am not a TFA groupie. I roll my eyes at many of those who speak of TFA as being a second coming of the messiah. You are absolutely right; there are a lot of challenges and ideally it wouldn't be necessary. But to imply that I am not qualified to teach these students is making a huge assumption on my academic background and knowledge of education. I know more about my subject matter, English, than the average education major; I don't think it's necessary to repeat my resume for your benefit, but trust me, I am a professional author and know reading and writing like the back of my hand. Of course there are challenges, but your statements imply that you are at best ignorant about many TFA teachers.


When I stated you are "not qualified"... I didn't mean it intellectually... Rather, are you able to dodge bullets? If not, will you be able to continue to teach after having been shot numerous times?

User avatar
The Evil Genius
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby The Evil Genius » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:58 pm

misspippers wrote:
(I teach 9th grade) and they're already up to almost a 6th grade level. Go watch "Freedom Writers" if you don't think atypical teachers can make a difference.


Go watch the Lord of The Rings trilogy if you don't think hobbits can succeed against the evil forces of Mordor.

User avatar
ks2pa
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:40 pm

Re: Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby ks2pa » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:04 pm

My GF did TFA in Philadelphia. She got her masters from UPenn, i forget what she paid for it but it wasn't that much. If you are special ed in Philly/Camden you go to Chestnut Hill instead.

She thought it was a good but exhausting experience. If you want to hide from the realities of our country then it is not for you. However she didn't spend much time "dodging bullets." Of course it is probably not worth doing if you just want something prestigious on your resume.

User avatar
misspippers
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:07 am

Re: Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby misspippers » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:08 pm

The Evil Genius wrote:
misspippers wrote:

Based on your comment of "it is not free... it is not fun," did you quit? I am not a TFA groupie. I roll my eyes at many of those who speak of TFA as being a second coming of the messiah. You are absolutely right; there are a lot of challenges and ideally it wouldn't be necessary. But to imply that I am not qualified to teach these students is making a huge assumption on my academic background and knowledge of education. I know more about my subject matter, English, than the average education major; I don't think it's necessary to repeat my resume for your benefit, but trust me, I am a professional author and know reading and writing like the back of my hand. Of course there are challenges, but your statements imply that you are at best ignorant about many TFA teachers.


When I stated you are "not qualified"... I didn't mean it intellectually... Rather, are you able to dodge bullets? If not, will you be able to continue to teach after having been shot numerous times?



Your perception of what it is like is laughable and uninformed.... As I said before, yes, there are challenges, but to imply that TFA teachers are on some sort of battlefield where they must protect themselves against violence at all costs... it's ridiculous... it's absolutely ridiculous. AND I TEACH IN NEW ORLEANS....

It's unfortunate that you are unwilling or unable to re-evaluate your point-of-view based on evidence ... and you want to be a lawyer? Interesting

User avatar
Someperson
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:57 am

Re: Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby Someperson » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:21 pm

misspippers wrote:
The Evil Genius wrote:
misspippers wrote:

Based on your comment of "it is not free... it is not fun," did you quit? I am not a TFA groupie. I roll my eyes at many of those who speak of TFA as being a second coming of the messiah. You are absolutely right; there are a lot of challenges and ideally it wouldn't be necessary. But to imply that I am not qualified to teach these students is making a huge assumption on my academic background and knowledge of education. I know more about my subject matter, English, than the average education major; I don't think it's necessary to repeat my resume for your benefit, but trust me, I am a professional author and know reading and writing like the back of my hand. Of course there are challenges, but your statements imply that you are at best ignorant about many TFA teachers.


When I stated you are "not qualified"... I didn't mean it intellectually... Rather, are you able to dodge bullets? If not, will you be able to continue to teach after having been shot numerous times?



Your perception of what it is like is laughable and uninformed.... As I said before, yes, there are challenges, but to imply that TFA teachers are on some sort of battlefield where they must protect themselves against violence at all costs... it's ridiculous... it's absolutely ridiculous. AND I TEACH IN NEW ORLEANS....

It's unfortunate that you are unwilling or unable to re-evaluate your point-of-view based on evidence ... and you want to be a lawyer? Interesting


You quoted a movie as a piece of evidence on how a teacher can change a kid's life, I don't think you're allowed to set standards.

TammyG
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby TammyG » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:24 pm

Connecticut - Connecticut corps members can also earn a master’s degree at a number of local universities within their two years of teaching. Currently corps members select the university program independently so cost and time commitments vary. At this time Teach For America • Connecticut does not have a master’s partnership option.

User avatar
fanfavourite
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby fanfavourite » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:32 pm

Eastern North Carolina:
You are required your first year to take classes through East Carolina University. They are paid for not by TFA but by the NC Model Education Consortium, I believe...you pay like 80 bucks. If you want your MA in Teaching you have to pay a hundred something, then pay that again the following year, I think. So it's almost a free masters. All courses are online.

User avatar
misspippers
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:07 am

Re: Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby misspippers » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:33 pm

Someperson wrote:
misspippers wrote:
The Evil Genius wrote:
misspippers wrote:

Based on your comment of "it is not free... it is not fun," did you quit? I am not a TFA groupie. I roll my eyes at many of those who speak of TFA as being a second coming of the messiah. You are absolutely right; there are a lot of challenges and ideally it wouldn't be necessary. But to imply that I am not qualified to teach these students is making a huge assumption on my academic background and knowledge of education. I know more about my subject matter, English, than the average education major; I don't think it's necessary to repeat my resume for your benefit, but trust me, I am a professional author and know reading and writing like the back of my hand. Of course there are challenges, but your statements imply that you are at best ignorant about many TFA teachers.


When I stated you are "not qualified"... I didn't mean it intellectually... Rather, are you able to dodge bullets? If not, will you be able to continue to teach after having been shot numerous times?



Your perception of what it is like is laughable and uninformed.... As I said before, yes, there are challenges, but to imply that TFA teachers are on some sort of battlefield where they must protect themselves against violence at all costs... it's ridiculous... it's absolutely ridiculous. AND I TEACH IN NEW ORLEANS....

It's unfortunate that you are unwilling or unable to re-evaluate your point-of-view based on evidence ... and you want to be a lawyer? Interesting


You quoted a movie as a piece of evidence on how a teacher can change a kid's life, I don't think you're allowed to set standards.


The movie is based on a true story... omg. Don't people realize that? So is Stand and Deliver and so is Music of the Heart. I used Freedom Writers because I figured that even the most ignorant person would recognize it. All of these are well publicized real stories, in which a teacher simply believing in their students' ability to succeed enabled them to believe in themselves. If you would rather have me talk about the numerous students of mine who have decided not to drop out now because I have taught them how to read... I can on and on.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:23 pm

EdmondDantes wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Since when does Milwaukee have a TfA chapter? I would highly encourage against teaching in Milwaukee Public Schools unless you are either A) A saint, or B) have a death wish (Probably self-inflicted, though maybe not.)


:roll:

And this is why they have Teach For America... this goes for ALL of the regions we are placed in. The applicant pool for these schools is very, very, very small. It really is unreal what most of us deal with every day.


I'm not sure why you're rolling your eyes, considering that I was an actual teacher in MPS- not a TfA person. You know why the applicant pool for MPS in particular is small? I was shuffled to 4 schools within a 3 week period- 3 of my locations, not teaching what I was certified (because yes, I actually got an undergrad in education) to teach.



You want to work in that cesspit? Be my guest. Is it beyond horrible that the students who actually want to learn have to deal with horrible teachers because the administration is incompetant, 80% of the student body and 95% of the families are worthless? Absolutely. However, I am pretty sure that I did say you should avoid teaching in that district "unless you are a saint."

Get over yourself for "putting in your two years" and then going on to law school- knowing you were never planning on being in it for the long haul. Some of us dedicated 4 or more years of our lives to education- expecting to make it our life's work- and discovered that it is simply an untenable situation in these school districts. The vast majority of people who do TfA- particularly those who go in to the middle/high schools where you actually have the "urban school problem"- have no intention on staying in education. You're doing it for the resume line. Having that "end goal" in sight makes it a hell of a lot easier to deal with- you know that no matter how bad it is, you only have to deal with it for two years. No long-term committment. No concern that you're going to get a phone call in three years that a student you had been working with for years got himself shot in the head.

I have nothing but respect for people who do TfA and end up making a life out of education. I have respect for people who go in to TfA thinking that perhaps they will stay in education, and decide not to after seeing the reality of it. I have nothing but respect for people who make a life out of urban education in general- I don't think there is a job in the world that is more deserving of high pay and praise than an effective urban teacher.

However, I have nothing but disgust for people who go in to teaching knowing it is just a resume line for them... and nothing but pure, unadulturated hate for people who stay in the teaching profession who aren't good at it, know they aren't good at it, and don't give a damn about the kids whose lives they have the potential to screw up even more. Unfortunately, many TfA people fit both of those categories. You are dealing with the lives of young people. If you think it is something you are interested in, you might pursue, or you would be legitimately good at/make a positive difference in those two years... good for you. If you're going just for the resume line, and don't give a damn about those kids whose lives you affect on a daily basis...

BIG EDIT TO MAKE IT CLEAR: I do not look down on TfA people because they didn't put in their time to get education degrees- though, I do take issue with the English person posting up there. There is some fundamental pedagogy that the most fantastic writers may not know. I don't think Einstein would have made a very good high school physics teacher, either; and I sure as hell would not have wanted Sousa conducting my high school's band. There is stuff to be learned about teaching, and something to be said for the practicum program education majors go through.

What I can't stand is the TfA folks who do it solely for the resume line, knowing their time in the education system is limited and, therefore, easier to deal with.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby 20160810 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:05 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
EdmondDantes wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Since when does Milwaukee have a TfA chapter? I would highly encourage against teaching in Milwaukee Public Schools unless you are either A) A saint, or B) have a death wish (Probably self-inflicted, though maybe not.)


:roll:

And this is why they have Teach For America... this goes for ALL of the regions we are placed in. The applicant pool for these schools is very, very, very small. It really is unreal what most of us deal with every day.


I'm not sure why you're rolling your eyes, considering that I was an actual teacher in MPS- not a TfA person. You know why the applicant pool for MPS in particular is small? I was shuffled to 4 schools within a 3 week period- 3 of my locations, not teaching what I was certified (because yes, I actually got an undergrad in education) to teach.



You want to work in that cesspit? Be my guest. Is it beyond horrible that the students who actually want to learn have to deal with horrible teachers because the administration is incompetant, 80% of the student body and 95% of the families are worthless? Absolutely. However, I am pretty sure that I did say you should avoid teaching in that district "unless you are a saint."

Get over yourself for "putting in your two years" and then going on to law school- knowing you were never planning on being in it for the long haul. Some of us dedicated 4 or more years of our lives to education- expecting to make it our life's work- and discovered that it is simply an untenable situation in these school districts. The vast majority of people who do TfA- particularly those who go in to the middle/high schools where you actually have the "urban school problem"- have no intention on staying in education. You're doing it for the resume line. Having that "end goal" in sight makes it a hell of a lot easier to deal with- you know that no matter how bad it is, you only have to deal with it for two years. No long-term committment. No concern that you're going to get a phone call in three years that a student you had been working with for years got himself shot in the head.

I have nothing but respect for people who do TfA and end up making a life out of education. I have respect for people who go in to TfA thinking that perhaps they will stay in education, and decide not to after seeing the reality of it. I have nothing but respect for people who make a life out of urban education in general- I don't think there is a job in the world that is more deserving of high pay and praise than an effective urban teacher.

However, I have nothing but disgust for people who go in to teaching knowing it is just a resume line for them... and nothing but pure, unadulturated hate for people who stay in the teaching profession who aren't good at it, know they aren't good at it, and don't give a damn about the kids whose lives they have the potential to screw up even more. Unfortunately, many TfA people fit both of those categories. You are dealing with the lives of young people. If you think it is something you are interested in, you might pursue, or you would be legitimately good at/make a positive difference in those two years... good for you. If you're going just for the resume line, and don't give a damn about those kids whose lives you affect on a daily basis...

BIG EDIT TO MAKE IT CLEAR: I do not look down on TfA people because they didn't put in their time to get education degrees- though, I do take issue with the English person posting up there. There is some fundamental pedagogy that the most fantastic writers may not know. I don't think Einstein would have made a very good high school physics teacher, either; and I sure as hell would not have wanted Sousa conducting my high school's band. There is stuff to be learned about teaching, and something to be said for the practicum program education majors go through.

What I can't stand is the TfA folks who do it solely for the resume line, knowing their time in the education system is limited and, therefore, easier to deal with.


Really -- a guy on a board for people applying to law school is going to lecture us about how shameful it is to work in education temporarily? Fine, then go back and teach for the rest of your life. As long as you're a good teacher, it doesn't matter if you do it for 2 years or 2,000, you're still doing good things for kids who could use the help.

I'm the first to say that my time in TFA has not, on balance, been pleasant, but talking shit about TFA is kind of like making fun of my sister: I (and other corps members) get to do it, but I get pissed when other people do. The amount of shit Corps Members take from so-called "career" teachers for only being in the game 2 years is INSANE. Guess what, full time teachers?!? IF YOU GUYS WERE SO DAMN GREAT, TFA WOULDN'T EXIST!

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:32 pm

I turned down TfA to do law school instead- actually, my phone interview process was significantly truncated (You work in Milwaukee Public Schools? *2 minutes of idle chit-chat* Ok, you'll be hearing from us soon.) The in-person interview/tryout was about the same.

I never said full-time teachers were good at their jobs. In fact, I'm pretty sure I said otherwise. That doesn't diminish the fact that people who go in to TfA with *full knowledge* that it is going to be nothing but a resume line are using the suffering of a generation of children to make their resume look better, or to "get a free master's degree" as the case may be.

I have several friends who went through TfA. They decided to do the experience, unsure if education was where their heart was or not. They decided it wasn't- same as the countless people who give up on the profession after being exposed to the living hell that is urban education. However, at least they weren't going in to it with the sole intention of making their resumes look better. I've heard stories about their "fellow corps members" who essentially tormented their students. Once they realized that they had no interest in teaching, and no long-term investment in it- they simply took out how shitty those two years were on the students.

Is that you SBL? No, I doubt it. Is TfA a bad program? No, because some of the TfA folks *do* end up staying in education... and those folks are likely to make fantastic teachers. However, people talking about students as tickets to free master's degrees and resume additions is disgusting; particularly when it is coming from people who obviously didn't grow up in anything approaching the hell the kids in urban schools have to deal with.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests