Top JD vs. Top MBA

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
loomy78

Re: Top JD vs. Top MBA

Postby loomy78 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:55 am

What would you do in my situation? I have a BA in Liberal Arts and no real quant/business background. Should I do lower T14 or a Darden/Fuqua/Ross type of MBA? I am worried about not having good post-MBA job opportunities because I dont have a quant/economics/business background. Can anyone speak to this?

spyke123

Postby spyke123 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:59 am

Poster above, do you have any work experience? If no.. You wont get into the mba programs you just mentioned

loomy78

Postby loomy78 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:04 am

spyke123 wrote:Poster above, do you have any work experience? If no.. You wont get into the mba programs you just mentioned

Yes 1-2 years gov work experience

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:33 am

loomy78 wrote:What would you do in my situation? I have a BA in Liberal Arts and no real quant/business background. Should I do lower T14 or a Darden/Fuqua/Ross type of MBA? I am worried about not having good post-MBA job opportunities because I dont have a quant/economics/business background. Can anyone speak to this?

MFin degree would be a possibility

Non business background isn't a killer, there's teachers etc that go to M7 every year. If you have the GPA/GMAT and can tell a good story it'd be worth applying

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:52 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
loomy78 wrote:What would you do in my situation? I have a BA in Liberal Arts and no real quant/business background. Should I do lower T14 or a Darden/Fuqua/Ross type of MBA? I am worried about not having good post-MBA job opportunities because I dont have a quant/economics/business background. Can anyone speak to this?

MFin degree would be a possibility

Non business background isn't a killer, there's teachers etc that go to M7 every year. If you have the GPA/GMAT and can tell a good story it'd be worth applying

What? No, MFin is generally not a good proposition for someone who has no background in quant/finance. MFin is quant-oriented from the get-go and it's only a year-long, so if you don't get the material from the start you're not gonna get much out of it. On the other hand, plenty of government/NGO people get admitted to MBA programs and get introduced to finance there, so it'll be more accommodating for people like the above poster.

ihenry

Postby ihenry » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:39 am

JD is a door opener, and MBA is advancement/enrichment.

I could be wrong but from what I've heard you are not really likely to get into a top-tier MFE program without a solid quant background.

chingwoo

Postby chingwoo » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:19 pm

Would you be getting major money at like Cornell law? Are you goodish at math?

cbbinnyc

Postby cbbinnyc » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:45 pm

As at least one previous poster said, neither degree will get you the kind of wealth you're talking about.

Start a tech company, get set up with an accelerator, get bought by Google/Facebook/etc. If you manage to get accepted by an accelerator (which is very difficult) the chances of success are amazingly good as far as the risky business of starting a business goes.

ETA: Getting that kind of money requires a great deal of risk and luck. For every billionaire there as thousands of equally smart (or much smarter) people who didn't get quite as lucky with their investments.

acr

Postby acr » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:55 pm

lol @ TLS

Q: JD vs. MBA
A: maybe med school

loomy78

Postby loomy78 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:28 pm

chingwoo wrote:

Would you be getting major money at like Cornell law? Are you goodish at math?

Yeah, I should be good for like a 50-100k scholly from Cornell. I have no other debt. Making 55k right now and will have over 1 yr of gov work experience before going to LS/MBA

deepseapartners

Postby deepseapartners » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:39 pm

Don't go to law school unless you want to be a lawyer. Most people don't like legal work once they find out what it's really like. Shadow an entry-level lawyer for more than a day before you decide law school = $$$$$$.

But based solely on opportunity cost, I probably wouldn't go to business school either unless I could get someone else to pay for it.

loomy78

Postby loomy78 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:03 pm

deepseapartners wrote:Don't go to law school unless you want to be a lawyer. Most people don't like legal work once they find out what it's really like. Shadow an entry-level lawyer for more than a day before you decide law school = $$$$$$.

But based solely on opportunity cost, I probably wouldn't go to business school either unless I could get someone else to pay for it.

i want to work in biglaw and then in-house. seems pretty hard to shadow these kind of lawyers

carmensandiego

Postby carmensandiego » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:06 pm

loomy78 wrote:
spyke123 wrote:Poster above, do you have any work experience? If no.. You wont get into the mba programs you just mentioned

Yes 1-2 years gov work experience

You still need more work experience than 1-2 years to be competitive with those programs. You're competing against people who have business UG degrees and have worked in business fields (such as consulting) for 5+ years. I think the average WE of someone at a school like the ones you mentioned is at least 5-6 years.

deepseapartners

Postby deepseapartners » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:19 pm

loomy78 wrote:
deepseapartners wrote:Don't go to law school unless you want to be a lawyer. Most people don't like legal work once they find out what it's really like. Shadow an entry-level lawyer for more than a day before you decide law school = $$$$$$.

i want to work in biglaw and then in-house. seems pretty hard to shadow these kind of lawyers

Even if you can't technically shadow those lawyers, you should do as much research as possible before dedicating three years and $100-300k towards a career path that isn't exactly known for its life-satisfaction.

Why did you decide that is the career route you want to take? And, this is important given the original question, why is did you decide your alternative to JD->biglaw->inhouse is MBA->???

FutureLitigator

Postby FutureLitigator » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:52 am

Quine wrote:This is exactly the problem. There's this skewed view that people have to lose in the market for others to win.

People do lose in the market for others to win. Just look at all the third world countries. It has to be this way, unfortunately, so people need to realize and enjoy that they are in the most capitalist country in the world and with hard work and determination can undoubtedly become a millionaire.

An MBA alone will not make one a millionaire, nor will a JD. And any combination between the two + any other degree. It all depends in the willpower of the person, the dedication, and knowledge they have in correlation with the skills they have.

I mean if OP is solely basing it on what it appears he is basing it on, I would wonder why he hasn't got an undergrad degree in petroleum engineering already, lol. Other then that, for the millions, it all comes down to how your entrepreneurial capabilities stand. If you're not already sure about LS, get an MBA.

NoBladesNoBows

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:35 am

Return to “Law School FAQ”