Indiana Law Interview

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
charlesjd

Re: Indiana Law Interview

Postby charlesjd » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:13 pm

Last edited by charlesjd on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:22 pm

charlesjd wrote:It feels like its over in 2 seconds. But i think it can really help you if you are a good interviewer like myself. My numbers are at median and within the ranges, but not high enough for me to feel "safe." Hopefully this gives me a good boost. Good luck to all. Interviewing is an aspect that goes past the numbers and essays and can really show admissions who you are and that you are truly interested.

It was great.... they actually offered me a job after I complete law school in three years. J/k. It did go by incredibly fast though. 20 minutes felt like 5. General questions were asked which I then ellaborated on, incorporated my experience, discussed expectations, etc, etc. I think it was also very useful to express your strong interest in the school. It's also great to offer a face in addition to just your application. Great idea, great meeting. How soon do you all think we'll get decisions!?

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:39 pm

Last edited by charlesjd on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karmicgruve

Postby karmicgruve » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:16 am

I talked to nearly everyone i encountered at the interview and talked to past applicants who were offered interviews and the commonality we all share is: We are all on the fence numbers wise. We are all on the bubble but met enough of their admissions criteria they wanted a second more intimate look into our lives and profiles. When I spoke to Dani a few days prior to reconfirm the time slot, she explained that Indiana wouldn't take the time to interview candidates that they were not interested in offering seats to. So it really wasn't as random as some people have speculated. This is an awesome sign for all of us however. Putting a face to a name on an app is huge. I think if you rovked this interview like i hope I did, we have really great shots at getting in. Good luck to all of us. Kinda feels like we made it to super 64 during March Madness! lol

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:52 am

karmicgruve wrote:I talked to nearly everyone i encountered at the interview and talked to past applicants who were offered interviews and the commonality we all share is: We are all on the fence numbers wise. We are all on the bubble but met enough of their admissions criteria they wanted a second more intimate look into our lives and profiles. When I spoke to Dani a few days prior to reconfirm the time slot, she explained that Indiana wouldn't take the time to interview candidates that they were not interested in offering seats to. So it really wasn't as random as some people have speculated. This is an awesome sign for all of us however. Putting a face to a name on an app is huge. I think if you rovked this interview like i hope I did, we have really great shots at getting in. Good luck to all of us. Kinda feels like we made it to super 64 during March Madness! lol

Does anyone remember the name of the reddish-hair interviewer? (woman, not dani) I wanted to look her up to see if she was a partner at that firm or part of IU staff.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:04 am

NYYfan213 wrote:According to the email I received today they do. They will be interviewing 40 applicants in the Chicago area and 40 in the Washington D.C. area... not sure why the limited numbers and locations, but maybe the interviews are geared more toward applicants who are borderline with low LSATs like me???

They are obviously very interested in you. Be prepared to answer questions they may have about any weaknesses in your profile. Be articulate, well-dressed, as well as knowledgable and enthusiastic about the school and the great match it is for you (and vice-versa). You'll get in.

1) Why law (i.e., are you motivated by a sense of purpose, ethics, and a need to contribute, or just money)?
2) Why Indiana (i.e., have you done your research; can you convince me that you are a good fit)?
3) Why should we admit you over the next student (i.e., what unique strengths do you offer)?

Some other potential questions:

4) Why did you choose your major?
5) Name a time you were confronted with an ethical dilemma. How did you handle it?
6) Name a time when you were confronted by a difficult customer who wanted you to do something you couldn't do as a matter of policy. How did you handle it?
7) If you could change any mistake you've made in your life, what would it be?
8) What is your greatest strength?
9) What is your biggest weakness? What have you done, are you doing or planning to do to overcome it?
10) If you could have any role in the production of a movie, which would it be: Leading actor/actress, supporting actor/actress, extra, producer, director, or technician (lighting, costume design, sound, grip, makeup, etc)? Why?

I interviewed at Northwestern and was asked #s 1-3 and 5, 8, 9, and 10.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:07 am

PDaddy wrote:
NYYfan213 wrote:According to the email I received today they do. They will be interviewing 40 applicants in the Chicago area and 40 in the Washington D.C. area... not sure why the limited numbers and locations, but maybe the interviews are geared more toward applicants who are borderline with low LSATs like me???

They are obviously very interested in you. Be prepared to answer questions they may have about any weaknesses in your profile. Be articulate, well-dressed, and knowledgable and enthusiastic about the school and the great match it is for you (and vice-versa) and you are in.

1) Why law (i.e., are you motivated by a sense of purpose, ethics, and a need to contribute, or just money)?
2) Why Indiana (i.e., have you done your research; can you convince me that you are a good fit)?
3) Why should we admit you over the next student (i.e., what unique strengths do you offer)?

Some other potential questions:

4) Why did you choose your major?
5) Name a time you were confronted with an ethical dilemma. How did you handle it?
6) Name a time when you were confronted by a difficult customer who wanted you to do something you couldn't do as a matter of policy. How did you handle it?
7) If you could change any mistake you've made in your life, what would it be?
8) What is your greatest strength?
9) What is your biggest weakness? What have you done, are you doing or planning to do to overcome it?
10) If you could have any role in the production of a movie, which would it be: Leading actor/actress, supporting actor/actress, extra, producer, director, or technician (lighting, costume design, sound, grip, makeup, etc)? Why?

I interviewed at Northwestern and was asked #s 1-3 and 5, 8, 9, and 10.

These are great suggestions... the interview already happened for everyone here though. It was this past Sat.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:34 am

Last edited by charlesjd on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:36 am

charlesjd wrote:
karmicgruve wrote:I talked to nearly everyone i encountered at the interview and talked to past applicants who were offered interviews and the commonality we all share is: We are all on the fence numbers wise. We are all on the bubble but met enough of their admissions criteria they wanted a second more intimate look into our lives and profiles. When I spoke to Dani a few days prior to reconfirm the time slot, she explained that Indiana wouldn't take the time to interview candidates that they were not interested in offering seats to. So it really wasn't as random as some people have speculated. This is an awesome sign for all of us however. Putting a face to a name on an app is huge. I think if you rovked this interview like i hope I did, we have really great shots at getting in. Good luck to all of us. Kinda feels like we made it to super 64 during March Madness! lol

YAY! I AM SO EXCITED.. I nailed my interview for sure, I love interviews!!!!!

Define "nailed" ;)

JayCole

Postby JayCole » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:01 am

I feel pretty good about the way my interview went. Does anyone know when we are supposed to get decisions?

JayCole

Postby JayCole » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:32 pm

Bump.

Has anyone who was interviewed received a decision from IUB?

Whitters

Postby Whitters » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:35 am

Wow, I wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I also interviewed in Chicago. Anyone heard any news?

Return to “Law School FAQ”