Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
mowmissy
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:25 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Postby mowmissy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:28 pm

does LSAC count transfer credit that is not from your main college?

I did summer community college classes, but my college doesn't count those into my main GPA. But does LSAC calculate them?

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Postby Bosque » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:38 am

mowmissy wrote:does LSAC count transfer credit that is not from your main college?

I did summer community college classes, but my college doesn't count those into my main GPA. But does LSAC calculate them?


You bet. They count just as much as every other class you have taken.

Darth Topher
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Postby Darth Topher » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:09 am

Pizon wrote:Update: LSAC processed my transcript and did not penalize me for any W's. My GPA remained exactly the same as on the copy from my school. :D


very cool

Sky'stheLimit
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:00 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Postby Sky'stheLimit » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:40 am

Florida public universities offer 2 "Grade Forgiveness" opportunities. My understanding is that they the original grade is completely expunged from ones record and the new grade replaces it. i dont believe the original grade is even on one's transcript. Does anyone have any experience (preferably a FL. student)???

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Postby Bosque » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:47 pm

Satoren wrote:Florida public universities offer 2 "Grade Forgiveness" opportunities. My understanding is that they the original grade is completely expunged from ones record and the new grade replaces it. i dont believe the original grade is even on one's transcript. Does anyone have any experience (preferably a FL. student)???


I have a similar program at my school, and I am 90% sure it will still be on your transcript. So no, it will not help.

Of course, I have never actually seen an official UF transcript, so cannot say for certain. I would find your Law advisement office or go talk to the registrar and ask them.

luca1899
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Postby luca1899 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:29 pm

Im very worried and am hoping for some words of encouragement.
My grades have been on a steady rise for all of college, but there was one potentially fateful rough patch. My first sophmore semester i had a sorta of existential crisis that resuted in 3 f´s (and one A in the writing class that helped me sort the crisis out).
Take away that and I averaged around a 3.2 my first two years, with a rise between freshman and sophmore years, at a mediocre state school.
Then I transferred to a much better school, with an excellent rep for academic rigor (98 on princeton review scale), and have averaged a 3.6 so far (also they drop failed grades from transfer transcripts, so it really is up there). I am working my ass off and have grown tremendously as a student and feel like I still will, I might be able to graduate with a 3.7 or more.
However calculating in the earlier grades (and assuming 3.6 and no higher for the rest of my time at my school (5 whole semesters it would be, so my grade there is solid) my gpa goes down to 3.19!!!
I´m scared.
Please tell me it is true that deans look for steady gpa rises each semester as a good sign, in fact please tell me its a huge factor....
I want to do internationa human rights law, so I need a top 14 school. LSATs are still years away, but I do have a lot of work and internship experience, and will have more by then, my final project at school probably will be a published book...
do i have any hope, or will LSAC bury me?

ak362
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:24 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Postby ak362 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:12 pm

mikeyp wrote:
yeah, not cool! shouldn't have taken those stupid "college" classes in high school....



+1.

Said classes sunk my GPA by about 0.06. Also, since my grades from my year-long study abroad weren't included, that was a lost opportunity there to improve the GPA.

ApplicantInWI
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Postby ApplicantInWI » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:18 pm

Darth Topher wrote:I have no "withdraw" classes and no "incompletes" on my transcript. Also, I have no Pass/Fail classes.


We all basically get dinged by LSAC.

samcortina
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Postby samcortina » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:06 pm

ApplicantInWI wrote:
Darth Topher wrote:I have no "withdraw" classes and no "incompletes" on my transcript. Also, I have no Pass/Fail classes.


We all basically get dinged by LSAC.



Not true. Mine went up because my school (ucla) counts A+ as a 4.0 in calculating gpa.

luca1899
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Postby luca1899 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:00 pm

luca1899 wrote:Im very worried and am hoping for some words of encouragement.
My grades have been on a steady rise for all of college, but there was one potentially fateful rough patch. My first sophmore semester i had a sorta of existential crisis that resuted in 3 f´s (and one A in the writing class that helped me sort the crisis out).
Take away that and I averaged around a 3.2 my first two years, with a rise between freshman and sophmore years, at a mediocre state school.
Then I transferred to a much better school, with an excellent rep for academic rigor (98 on princeton review scale), and have averaged a 3.6 so far (also they drop failed grades from transfer transcripts, so it really is up there). I am working my ass off and have grown tremendously as a student and feel like I still will, I might be able to graduate with a 3.7 or more.
However calculating in the earlier grades (and assuming 3.6 and no higher for the rest of my time at my school (5 whole semesters it would be, so my grade there is solid) my gpa goes down to 3.19!!!
I´m scared.
Please tell me it is true that deans look for steady gpa rises each semester as a good sign, in fact please tell me its a huge factor....
I want to do internationa human rights law, so I need a top 14 school. LSATs are still years away, but I do have a lot of work and internship experience, and will have more by then, my final project at school probably will be a published book...
do i have any hope, or will LSAC bury me?


so no encouragement? guess im screwed..? whateva, i work my ass off...

pomona
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:54 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Postby pomona » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:11 pm

Bosque wrote:
mowmissy wrote:does LSAC count transfer credit that is not from your main college?

I did summer community college classes, but my college doesn't count those into my main GPA. But does LSAC calculate them?


You bet. They count just as much as every other class you have taken.


I suggest double-checking LSAC's GPA calculations once you get your Academic Summary Report. I had transfer credits from a community college and they miscalculated it, resulting in a drop in my LSAC GPA. I pointed out the error and they agreed it their calculation was wrong, but it look about 2 weeks for the correction to be made.

User avatar
klmnumbers
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:48 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Postby klmnumbers » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:02 pm

Mine went from a 3.473 to a 3.46 (-.013) hah.

Although, I was a nerd and figured out what it would be beforehand.

14892742
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:30 am

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Postby 14892742 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:39 pm

ak362 wrote:
mikeyp wrote:
yeah, not cool! shouldn't have taken those stupid "college" classes in high school....



+1.

Said classes sunk my GPA by about 0.06. Also, since my grades from my year-long study abroad weren't included, that was a lost opportunity there to improve the GPA.




Same thing happened to me. Are addendums any use here? I had one D junior yr. of hs that dropped me from 3.74 to 3.67. Do I have ANY hope for getting schools to see me as a 3.74?

User avatar
mikeyp
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Postby mikeyp » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:35 pm

3.68 to a 3.58

User avatar
ugchicago
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:16 am

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Postby ugchicago » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:48 pm

LSAC knocked me from a 3.30 on my transcript to a 3.29. What a crappy .01 loss. :(

Side note: what kind of bush league universities give A+ grades?! This isn't high school... :lol:

User avatar
tomhobbes
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Postby tomhobbes » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:18 pm

LSAC is kindly raising my GPA by .16.

ncAsh
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:05 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Postby ncAsh » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:23 pm

3.88 to 3.81..

User avatar
Glamour
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:37 am

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Postby Glamour » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:27 pm

It didn't change mine at all
I had two Withdrawals, no pass/fails.

Player21
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:39 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Postby Player21 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:10 pm

So, all grades count right? Because, I took some classes in high school at a community college. It was a basics Math class that I got a C in. However, they don't count this class on my GPA in some other classes. So, every class you take is added into your GPA no matter what according to LSAC?

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Postby flyingpanda » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:27 pm

TKO99 wrote:
snotrocket wrote:
So the only way that your GPA might be changed is if their numbers differ from your school's. I actually got a bump from LSAC, because my school treats A+s as 4.0.

Yep. And the opposite will happen, for instance, where the school treats an A- as 3.7, because LSAC always counts them as 3.67.


Aww what??? So what's a B+? 3.27?


B+ is 3.33

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Postby im_blue » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:25 am

OK, I've seen this asked about 3 or 4 times just in this thread:

Every college class you've ever taken before your first bachelor's degree will count for LSAC, including during high school, high school dual enrollment classes, study abroad, at the local CC, online classes, etc. It does not matter how your UG treats them. W does not count. WF counts as F. Pass/Fail does not count if you pass, but it counts as an F if you don't pass. If you take a class twice, both grades are counted if both the original grade and number of credits appears on the transcript.

A+ = 4.33
A = 4.00
A- = 3.67

Calculate your GPA weighted by semester credit hours (quarter credits count 0.67 as much), rounded to the nearest hundredths. LSAC isn't a black box where your GPA comes out as a random number.

flounder
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:09 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Postby flounder » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:25 pm

The problem I have is I went to school in two parts. When I first went to school out of high school, i had a 2.2. When I went back, 14 years later, I had a 4.0. Now my GPA is 2.95 from LSAC but I think that is unfair.

User avatar
redsox
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Postby redsox » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:41 pm

TKO99 wrote:
snotrocket wrote:
So the only way that your GPA might be changed is if their numbers differ from your school's. I actually got a bump from LSAC, because my school treats A+s as 4.0.

Yep. And the opposite will happen, for instance, where the school treats an A- as 3.7, because LSAC always counts them as 3.67.


Aww what??? So what's a B+? 3.27?


Logic fail.

yeff
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Postby yeff » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:19 am

redsox wrote:Logic fail.


Indeed. :roll:

Although my school used .3 and .7, I had almost equal amounts of B+ and A- grades, so it essentially canceled out, and my GPA moved less than .01, staying the same when rounded to the second decimal.

Good times.

uncjtd20
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 6:35 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Postby uncjtd20 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:18 pm

so if you didn't go to a university with a+'s, how do you know if some of your grades will count as an A or A+ wish LSAC?




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 1 guest