Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

New

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Post by 181 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:35 pm

mikeyp wrote:
Darth Topher wrote:
mikeyp wrote:-.09, 3.64 to 3.55
good god! :shock:
yeah, not cool! shouldn't have taken those stupid "college" classes in high school....

i actually ran into a teacher i had from hs, had a conversation with him about why i was very unhappy with the way they encouraged people to take those classes in high school instead of AP classes. i'm not going in to my old high school to talk to classes about this situation, because it sure effed me up.
What "college" classes in hs do you mean, and will do they hurt you for LSAC GPA? You've got me worried.

I took 1 political science class at Pitt as a hs senior and got an A, and then went to a different university for my bachelor's. However my degree-granting school didn't count the grade in the Pitt class for GPA (just the credits). So will LSAC count my that A in its GPA calculations?

belladona

New

Post by belladona » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:26 am

bumped from a 3.87 to a 3.9

but they calculated my major GPA weidly... I have a 4.0 and they said I had a 3.7?

this is totally random I think

OutofBako

New

Post by OutofBako » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:10 am

Is that calculator for real? Mine stayed at a 3.61 according to that, but I have one class that is only 2 units and was graded an A, as opposed to a full 5 units, does anyone know how LSAC treats that? I sent my transcripts, but am still waiting on an update.

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:43 pm

181 wrote:
mikeyp wrote:
Darth Topher wrote:
mikeyp wrote:-.09, 3.64 to 3.55
good god! :shock:
yeah, not cool! shouldn't have taken those stupid "college" classes in high school....

i actually ran into a teacher i had from hs, had a conversation with him about why i was very unhappy with the way they encouraged people to take those classes in high school instead of AP classes. i'm not going in to my old high school to talk to classes about this situation, because it sure effed me up.
What "college" classes in hs do you mean, and will do they hurt you for LSAC GPA? You've got me worried.

I took 1 political science class at Pitt as a hs senior and got an A, and then went to a different university for my bachelor's. However my degree-granting school didn't count the grade in the Pitt class for GPA (just the credits). So will LSAC count my that A in its GPA calculations?
I mean because I didn't take high school all that seriously. I wanted to be a musician at the time, and I had already gotten into a great music program. So my grades then brought down my LSDAS GPA.

drfaiso1

New

Post by drfaiso1 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:11 pm

gracious...they dropped you that much and ur still calm...u r 1 cool character...I cant afford to have my GPA drop by even a .01..lol
hopeforthebest wrote:I had a 3.85 GPA with no withdrawals, incompletes, etc., and mine went down to a 3.72 because of dual enrollment classes I took while in high school (why on EARTH did I feel the need to take the tough science classes when I knew I didn't want to be a doctor?) and the fact that my undergrad's grading scale is inflated (no minus grades). Thankfully, it's still pretty high, and I actually expected them to compute it at a 3.67, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hopeforthebest

New

Post by hopeforthebest » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:31 pm

drfaiso1 wrote:gracious...they dropped you that much and ur still calm...u r 1 cool character...I cant afford to have my GPA drop by even a .01..lol
hopeforthebest wrote:I had a 3.85 GPA with no withdrawals, incompletes, etc., and mine went down to a 3.72 because of dual enrollment classes I took while in high school (why on EARTH did I feel the need to take the tough science classes when I knew I didn't want to be a doctor?) and the fact that my undergrad's grading scale is inflated (no minus grades). Thankfully, it's still pretty high, and I actually expected them to compute it at a 3.67, so I was pleasantly surprised.
haha, well, obviously I would have liked them to compute as a 3.85, but I kind of expected it, so there really wasn't anything I could do.

Pizon

Bronze

Post by Pizon » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:14 am

I expect AP classes to hurt me as well. When I started college, I was automatically enrolled in beginner courses that I was advised to drop because I had already taken the equivalent classes in high school. These showed up as W on my transcript, which didn't affect my GPA. Now I'm hearing LSAC counts these as F's, which is baffling to me. Why are people punished for being overachievers?

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:20 am

Pizon wrote:I expect AP classes to hurt me as well. When I started college, I was automatically enrolled in beginner courses that I was advised to drop because I had already taken the equivalent classes in high school. These showed up as W on my transcript, which didn't affect my GPA. Now I'm hearing LSAC counts these as F's, which is baffling to me. Why are people punished for being overachievers?
They only count "punitive" Ws as Fs. Most schools call these "WF" for withdrew-failed or something, rather than just dropped the class.

cckk44

New

Post by cckk44 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:26 am

Some say that LSAC counts A- as 3.67, but on the calculator if you just simply plug in A-, it comes up as a 3.7......

Also, If I took AP classes in high school but never used them as college credit they will not be reported, right? (might be a stupid question)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pizon

Bronze

Post by Pizon » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:41 am

snotrocket wrote:
Pizon wrote:I expect AP classes to hurt me as well. When I started college, I was automatically enrolled in beginner courses that I was advised to drop because I had already taken the equivalent classes in high school. These showed up as W on my transcript, which didn't affect my GPA. Now I'm hearing LSAC counts these as F's, which is baffling to me. Why are people punished for being overachievers?
They only count "punitive" Ws as Fs. Most schools call these "WF" for withdrew-failed or something, rather than just dropped the class.
I hope you're right.

BendAndSnap

New

Post by BendAndSnap » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:38 am

Does lsac not round up if the gpa ends in .x6?? grr annoying. for instance, I believe that a 2.26 would be reported on the lsat ugpa as a 2.2 instead of a 2.3

JJM84

New

Post by JJM84 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:02 am

What if your school only puts numbers on your transcript? 4.0, 3.70, etc.

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:44 pm

ok for the record, AP classes dont count towards your LSDAS GPA. they are high school classes, NOT college classes, and are NOT taken for undergraduate credits. Yes schools will award you credit based on their scales, but the grade you receive in that class is not attached to any credits.

UNLESS it was something due to a dual enrollment with a university that you received college credit for while you were in high school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JuryDueT1000

New

Post by JuryDueT1000 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:45 pm

Be afraid, be very afraid! I was raped for nearly .2 points shaved right off my cumulative.

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:45 pm

BendAndSnap wrote:Does lsac not round up if the gpa ends in .x6?? grr annoying. for instance, I believe that a 2.26 would be reported on the lsat ugpa as a 2.2 instead of a 2.3
lsac rounds to two decimal places. .x6 will be a .x6. and i dont even know what you mean by "lsat gpa"

BendAndSnap

New

Post by BendAndSnap » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:37 pm

mikeyp wrote:
BendAndSnap wrote:Does lsac not round up if the gpa ends in .x6?? grr annoying. for instance, I believe that a 2.26 would be reported on the lsat ugpa as a 2.2 instead of a 2.3
lsac rounds to two decimal places. .x6 will be a .x6. and i dont even know what you mean by "lsat gpa"
sorry it was pretty late last night. i meant lsac ugpa. and i also meant to take out the gpas to one more decimal place: a 2.526 would be called a 2.52 by lsac

Dick Whitman

Bronze

Post by Dick Whitman » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:46 pm

My 3.59 was mysteriously raised to a 3.6. Success! I had been plotting the demise of that hundredth of a point for years.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pizon

Bronze

Post by Pizon » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:14 am

mikeyp wrote:ok for the record, AP classes dont count towards your LSDAS GPA. they are high school classes, NOT college classes, and are NOT taken for undergraduate credits. Yes schools will award you credit based on their scales, but the grade you receive in that class is not attached to any credits.

UNLESS it was something due to a dual enrollment with a university that you received college credit for while you were in high school.
Yeah, but the issue (at least with me) is that if the university awards you credits for the AP classes, it often results in W's on your college transcript (because incoming students are often automatically enrolled in first-year courses). LSAC apparently thinks a W is the same thing as an F, although someone in this thread is saying they're able to distinguish between different types of W's.

aalokika

New

Post by aalokika » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:57 am

JJM84 wrote:What if your school only puts numbers on your transcript? 4.0, 3.70, etc.
Yeah... same question - even though this might have been addressed by someone on the previous page. I get a 3.7 and not a 3.67 for an A-. Is there a calculator that works only for number grades?

ThirtyNineOne.Seven

New

Post by ThirtyNineOne.Seven » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:53 am

I took a course twice only because students are required to take lab courses for two semesters in a row. So the class shows up twice on our transcripts, once in one semester and once in the next semester. Will LSAC penalize me for this? I want the class to count both times because I recieved an "A." Do I need to sumbit an explanation to LSAC?

Sky'stheLimit

Bronze

Post by Sky'stheLimit » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:37 am

Would "W's" or Grade Forgivenesses classes be held against you???

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:22 pm

aalokika wrote:
JJM84 wrote:What if your school only puts numbers on your transcript? 4.0, 3.70, etc.
Yeah... same question - even though this might have been addressed by someone on the previous page. I get a 3.7 and not a 3.67 for an A-. Is there a calculator that works only for number grades?
The 3.7 is an LSAC 3.67. You are going to loose that .03 points on every A-. Just use the same calculator, substitution back for letter grades.
ThirtyNineOne.Seven wrote:I took a course twice only because students are required to take lab courses for two semesters in a row. So the class shows up twice on our transcripts, once in one semester and once in the next semester. Will LSAC penalize me for this? I want the class to count both times because I recieved an "A." Do I need to sumbit an explanation to LSAC?
You ARE going to gt credit for taking it both times, no explanation required! You will be one of the few benefactors of LSAC's policy to include all grades, even repeated classes. Most people get dinged BECAUSE it is counted both times, as the first grade may be an F and the second a B, but LSAC counts them both.
Satoren wrote:Would "W's" or Grade Forgivenesses classes be held against you???
Yes they will. I am not sre how the Ws are counted, but if you retake a class for a higher grade, the original does not disappear. It is still calculated into your LSAC GPA.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:24 pm

Pizon wrote:
mikeyp wrote:ok for the record, AP classes dont count towards your LSDAS GPA. they are high school classes, NOT college classes, and are NOT taken for undergraduate credits. Yes schools will award you credit based on their scales, but the grade you receive in that class is not attached to any credits.

Yeah, but the issue (at least with me) is that if the university awards you credits for the AP classes, it often results in W's on your college transcript (because incoming students are often automatically enrolled in first-year courses). LSAC apparently thinks a W is the same thing as an F, although someone in this thread is saying they're able to distinguish between different types of W's.
If it is a pure W, I don't think it is calculated in. A WF (or equivalent) is what you have to worry about.

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:16 pm

Bosque wrote:
Pizon wrote:

If it is a pure W, I don't think it is calculated in. A WF (or equivalent) is what you have to worry about.
Ja. I think I had 9 or 10 Ws on my transcript and I wasn't penalized by LSAC.

Pizon

Bronze

Post by Pizon » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:47 pm

Update: LSAC processed my transcript and did not penalize me for any W's. My GPA remained exactly the same as on the copy from my school. :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”