E&E (Torts, Civ Pro, Contracts) Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Curious George

New

E&E (Torts, Civ Pro, Contracts)

Post by Curious George » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:27 pm

Those are my three courses for my first semester (excluding writing, reasoning), so I'd like to ask a little advice as far as which books to get.

The more responses/opinions the better, as I'm a complete newb who really doesn't know what he's doing.

Torts
-E&E - Glannon? Link

Civ Pro
-E&E - Glannon? Link

Contracts
-E&E - Blum? Link,
-Concepts and Case Analysis in the Law of Contracts - Chirelstein? Link

Are there other alternatives? What do you suggest?

Thanks you in advance. I hope to order some books in the next couple days so any help is greatly appreciated!

tayloner182

New

Re: E&E (Torts, Civ Pro, Contracts)

Post by tayloner182 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:36 pm

Here ya go...

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =5&t=36040

There seems to be some pretty good information in that thread, but it wouldn't hurt to get a few more people's opinions who have actually gone through 1L and have experience with different books. In fact, I would like to hear that as well. Anyone else got some knowledge?

hkm6315

Bronze

Post by hkm6315 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:40 pm

Must Read: Getting to Maybe

Curious George

New

Post by Curious George » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:07 pm

hkm6315 wrote:Must Read: Getting to Maybe
That and LEEWS are the two things that I'm going over before school. I just received LEEWS in the mail yesterday.

SYNESTER

New

Post by SYNESTER » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:18 pm

pardon my ignorance...but what is LEEWS ?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:20 pm

SYNESTER wrote:pardon my ignorance...but what is LEEWS ?
http://www.leews.com/

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:37 pm

E&E is great for Torts as is Understanding Torts. I found them both very helpful.

The Contracts E&E is okay, but it's pretty long and I felt like I was reading the casebook again (I expect because Blum was also author of my casebook.) It has some flowcharts in it that are useful.

E&E for Civ Pro is great.

I also recommend CALI lessons. I didn't know many people who used them, but I thought they were quite helpful. You will probably get a CALI log-in from your school.

Curious George

New

Post by Curious George » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:50 pm

Ipsa Dixit wrote:E&E is great for Torts as is Understanding Torts. I found them both very helpful.

The Contracts E&E is okay, but it's pretty long and I felt like I was reading the casebook again (I expect because Blum was also author of my casebook.) It has some flowcharts in it that are useful.

E&E for Civ Pro is great.
Thanks!
I also recommend CALI lessons. I didn't know many people who used them, but I thought they were quite helpful. You will probably get a CALI log-in from your school.
This?

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:53 pm

-
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Curious George

New

Post by Curious George » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:38 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
Since impressionable, anxious, and excited to start 0Ls are no doubt reading this, I hasten to mention that Getting to Maybe (aka "GTM") is most certainly NOT a "must read." In fact, NO law book falls into that category for 0L summer. Rather, it seems to me that there is a continuum of more and less useful books, and the amount of reading a particular 0L does (or should do) is an entirely independent, personal choice. People do incredibly well their 1L year with and without summer reading -- so 0Ls should not feel compelled to read this stuff if they don't want to. As discussed here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =3&t=36807 there is a diversity of opinion on the subject among 2Ls and 3Ls here on TLS, and you all should be aware of that diversity.

To be clear, the overwhelming majority of 0Ls will not likely lose out a bit by doing literally zero 0L summer prep. Some may feel compelled to do so, either because they just want to dive in a little early or because they feel anxious about the terminology and want to be more comfortable in class. Those are valid reasons to do a little skimming in the summer months. For those who do decide to do a little reading, you should know going in that it is unlikely (in my view, and that of many others) that doing so will make a wit's worth of difference in terms of grades.
You've got 363 posts on this forum, and I'm pretty sure 362 of them are preaching at incoming 1Ls not to do anything before law school.

Damn.

We get it. You're a cool rising 2L and you did well.

Hopefully when we are 1Ls we will be able to find the time to scour TLS lurking in the shadows waiting for some feeble minded incoming 1L to mention reading before law school and then... pounce! You Will Respect My Authoritay! Rinse, repeat.

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:54 am

I would probably scrap the E&E for contracts and pick up an Emanuel's or Gilbert's outline on contracts. For Civ Pro, I also recommend picking up Glannon's guide to Civil Procedure.

JSASS

New

Post by JSASS » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:41 am

You've got 363 posts on this forum, and I'm pretty sure 362 of them are preaching at incoming 1Ls not to do anything before law school.

Damn.

Hopefully when we are 1Ls we will be able to find the time to scour TLS lurking in the shadows waiting for some feeble minded incoming 1L to mention reading before law school and then... pounce! You Will Respect My Authoritay! Rinse, repeat.
:lol:

Did any of you guys get an 0L suggested reading list from your LS? I just received a list of 6 or 7, of which Getting to Maybe was one. I wasn't going to read it, but now that it's been endorsed by my school I've got it en rout from Amazon.

Curious George

New

Post by Curious George » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:02 pm

JSASS wrote:

Damn.

:lol:

Did any of you guys get an 0L suggested reading list from your LS? I just received a list of 6 or 7, of which Getting to Maybe was one. I wasn't going to read it, but now that it's been endorsed by my school I've got it en rout from Amazon.
Yeah, I did as well.

There are like 20 books on the list they gave me though (a pretty wide range), and I only plan on reading a couple. Plus, I spoke with some second and third year students at enrollment day and they told me that I'd be required to read "The Buffalo Creek Disaster" (not on the list) during my first semester, so I think I'll go through that lightly as well.

M53201

Bronze

Post by M53201 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:06 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
Since impressionable, anxious, and excited to start 0Ls are no doubt reading this, I hasten to mention that Getting to Maybe (aka "GTM") is most certainly NOT a "must read." In fact, NO law book falls into that category for 0L summer. Rather, it seems to me that there is a continuum of more and less useful books, and the amount of reading a particular 0L does (or should do) is an entirely independent, personal choice. People do incredibly well their 1L year with and without summer reading -- so 0Ls should not feel compelled to read this stuff if they don't want to. As discussed here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =3&t=36807 there is a diversity of opinion on the subject among 2Ls and 3Ls here on TLS, and you all should be aware of that diversity.

To be clear, the overwhelming majority of 0Ls will not likely lose out a bit by doing literally zero 0L summer prep. Some may feel compelled to do so, either because they just want to dive in a little early or because they feel anxious about the terminology and want to be more comfortable in class. Those are valid reasons to do a little skimming in the summer months. For those who do decide to do a little reading, you should know going in that it is unlikely (in my view, and that of many others) that doing so will make a wit's worth of difference in terms of grades.
Most of the advice I've gotten from rising 2Ls and 3Ls was completely unrelated to classes. Things like making sure your resume is up to date, setting up your apartment well before the first day of orientation, getting on a good sleep schedule, planning out a first year budget, getting into a good workout routine, etc. Though, I still find myself with a lot of time after doing those things, so I'm starting on GTM anyway.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”