Frequently Asked Questions Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
solo_lawyer

New

Re: Frequently Asked Questions

Post by solo_lawyer » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:56 am

LALawyer wrote:As a graduate of a top-ten school, I do have one piece of advice in choosing a school. If you know FOR CERTAIN the market in which you want to practice after law school, choose the best school IN THAT MARKET that you get into, even if you get into "better" schools in other markets.

Of course, for the vast majority of schools, you have to go wherever you can to get a job, and any job at all is what you are looking for. You see, there really are no jobs for most law school grads.

law_nut

New

Post by law_nut » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:42 am

If I decided to double major but graduate at different dates for each bachelors degree, will it matter to the LSAC?

Will they penalize me by only counting the first degree GPA awarded?

Please kindly clarify.

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:31 am

law_nut wrote:If I decided to double major but graduate at different dates for each bachelors degree, will it matter to the LSAC?

Will they penalize me by only counting the first degree GPA awarded?

Please kindly clarify.
It is certainly not a "penalty." LSAC only counts your grades until your first bachelor's degree. Anything after doesn't count.

hatz

New

Post by hatz » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:29 pm

I am considering writing an Addendum for my applications b/c my LSAT score are pretty low. I have already retaken them and did about the same. I have always done poorly on any type of standardized tests. Would it be acceptable to bring up how although I did poorly on my SAT ( just over 1000) that I still graduated under grad with a 3.5 GPA or this GPA too low to make this point? Would an argument like this only work if you had a GPA higher than a 3.5?

eshort

New

Post by eshort » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:42 pm

Emory will take the highest LSAT.
http://www.law.emory.edu/admission/admission-faqs/application-procedures.html wrote:Q. Does it matter when I take the LSAT? What if I take it more than once?

A. You may take the LSAT at any time. Most students will take it in June following their junior year. December scores will be received before the March 1 postmarked deadline. We will accept the February score, however, it puts the applicant at a disadvantage because the February test results usually do not come in until after the March 1 deadline. This means that the committee has already accepted a number of qualified applicants. We will only accept LSAT scores less than 5 years old. If there is more than one score on the LSDAS report, the highest of those scores will be used.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:21 am

Great thread!

Player21

New

Post by Player21 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:56 pm

UGH- I have a 3.3 right now, got 165 on the LSAT but I got 2 F's my very first semester because I didn't drop these classes I had on time. I know that will impact my GPA big time and I will go below a 3.0. This really sucks. Will an addendum help that much?!

LjakW

Bronze

Post by LjakW » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:59 pm

Player21 wrote:UGH- I have a 3.3 right now, got 165 on the LSAT but I got 2 F's my very first semester because I didn't drop these classes I had on time. I know that will impact my GPA big time and I will go below a 3.0. This really sucks. Will an addendum help that much?!
It probably won't help that much or at all, but you should still write the addendum. Maybe figure out what your GPA would have been without those two classes and put that on there.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:14 pm

Player21 wrote:UGH- I have a 3.3 right now, got 165 on the LSAT but I got 2 F's my very first semester because I didn't drop these classes I had on time. I know that will impact my GPA big time and I will go below a 3.0. This really sucks. Will an addendum help that much?!
TBH how can anyone tell if you just didn't drop those classes on time, or if you were lazy/incompetent and bombed the exams and/or didn't do the homework? I can see writing an addendum for a legitimate reason such as family death or illness, but your situation won't garner any sympathy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:05 am

i don't think it will kill you, you'll just have to take on the splitter mentality when it comes to applications.

jamesc760

New

Post by jamesc760 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:07 am

lsat 2008 wrote:What kind of explanation is needed for school that take the higher LSAT score?
You'd need to explain why or how you were able to score higher... In other words, you'd say something like "When I took LSAT for the first time, I fell ill on the morning of the test, so consequently, my first LSAT score was low."

chrisgirl

New

Post by chrisgirl » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:52 am

Okay so I am going to have a 3.49 GPA, I have on "W" and two repeat courses...my GPA is going to be lower isn't it?

Also I am going to take the LSAT in Oct., if I don't get a great score, than I am going to take it in Dec. Do I still have time to apply for the falling fall?

Thanks!

LjakW

Bronze

Post by LjakW » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:49 am

chrisgirl wrote:Okay so I am going to have a 3.49 GPA, I have on "W" and two repeat courses...my GPA is going to be lower isn't it?

Also I am going to take the LSAT in Oct., if I don't get a great score, than I am going to take it in Dec. Do I still have time to apply for the falling fall?

Thanks!
The W won't affect your GPA. I don't know how the repeats will, though.
It is definitely possible to take the test in December and apply for the following fall—but I wouldn't fully recommend it, because it doesn't really allow you to take full advantage of the application season. There are many who will have their apps completed in October and you'll only be complete in January. Don't worry, though, just do really well in October. As an aside, don't plan on retaking, it's like setting yourself up to do poorly; further, many never get back the energy to get back into studying after taking it once.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:11 am

chrisgirl wrote:Okay so I am going to have a 3.49 GPA, I have on "W" and two repeat courses...my GPA is going to be lower isn't it?

Thanks!
W doesn't affect the LSAC GPA. All grades count for repeated courses, so your GPA will take a hit there since you have to count the first time, too (unless your transcript hides them).

You can still apply with a December LSAT, but it'll be past the midpoint of the cycle.

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:10 am

I read Ken's initial post about punitive W's and non-punitive W's. After considering tying cinderblocks to my ankles and going for a swim, I refocused, checked the rest of the message board and clarified that my W's are non-punitive. I can now sleep without recurring nightmares.

ad1988

New

Post by ad1988 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:59 am

Hi everyone,

I am new to this board and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a question regarding writing an addendum. I'm from Canada but I will be applying to most of the T14 American schools for the September 2011 cycle. I will be writing an addendum to explain a couple of marks I received, but I was wondering if there is such a thing as 'too much' to include in an addendum?

During my 2nd year of university, my marks really suffered (I received a 2.7 GPA that year) because I had to take on 3 part-time jobs to support myself and I was also skating competitively 3 - 4 times/week (with about 5 hours dedicated to each practice/commute). I wanted to write an addendum to explain this, however, in the summer following this school year I took one course to lighten my course load for my 3rd year and my father became very ill and was hospitalized in the ICU for 4 weeks (right around the time of my midterm and final exam). Needless to say, I did horribly in this course as well, receiving a D-. If an admissions office was to look at my entire academic history, it is obvious that after 2nd year and the summer, there is an obvious upward trend, considering I received a 3.8 GPA in 3rd and 4th year (if I don't include that D- in my GPA calculation; if I do, I only have a 3.4 GPA in 3rd year).

My question is, would it be too much to explain this all in one addendum? I don't want to sound like I am making excuses, but I want an admissions office to know why these trends occurred. I'd appreciate any advice that you have to offer.

Thanks!

chymali

New

Post by chymali » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:02 pm

I heard that it's not good to take AP credit for courses or pass/fail because it doesn't look good... is this true? I only have two courses I want to take a pass/fail on and one course with AP credit. Should I do it, or just take my chances?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:43 pm

Ken wrote:What law schools favor LSAT over GPA and Vice-Versa
Other top law schools that focus more heavily upon LSAT vs. GPA include:

Chicago (LSAT 25th: 169 – tied for 2nd; LSAT 75th 173 – tied for 4th; GPA 25th 3.49 – tied for 16th; GPA 75th – 3.77 tied for 51st)

Columbia (LSAT 25th: 169 – tied for 2nd; LSAT 75th 174 – 3rd; GPA 25th 3.56 – tied for 6th; GPA 75th – 3.81 tied for 21st)

Michigan (LSAT 25th: 167 – tied for 6th; LSAT 75th 170 – tied for 11th; GPA 25th 3.49 – 16th; GPA 75th – 3.79 tied for 37th)

Conversely, other law schools will favor GPA over LSAT.

The prime example is Berkeley/Boalt. (GPA 25th 3.64 – 4th; GPA 75th – 3.90 4th; LSAT 25th: 163 – tied for 18th; LSAT 75th 170 – tied for 11th);
Just wanted to point out how much the 25% GPA for the above schools has gone up from the 07 cycle to the 09 cycle:

Chicago 3.49 -> 3.63
Columbia 3.56 -> 3.69
Michigan 3.49 -> 3.55

I know that all that matters is this years USNWR rankings, so schools don't really care when your grades are from but it still bothers me that rampant grade inflation is driving up all of the 25/75 splits for GPA. Do schools consider at all that slightly lower grades from years back are more comparable with inflated grades from today's straight from UG applicants?

I'm venting a bit here, but I really do wonder if the committees are considering this in their decision making process.

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:00 pm

Write an addendum, as it can only help.

taxguy

Bronze

Post by taxguy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:48 pm

Is there a way to get a list of the number of elective courses offered at each law school? I don't want to search each school so an overall list would be very helpful.

smscat

New

Post by smscat » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:50 pm

These questions must have been answered somewhere but I can't find them.

1) Do you recommend submitting 2 evaluations, or since they're so new just skipping them?

2) Do you put a related coursework section on your resume?

Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Flett

Bronze

Post by Flett » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:49 pm

smscat wrote:These questions must have been answered somewhere but I can't find them.

1) Do you recommend submitting 2 evaluations, or since they're so new just skipping them?

Thanks!
1) It sounds like a lot of people aren't bothering. I have one (they offered so I figured "why not?"), but I'm not going to bother tracking down a second. Besides, not all schools even accept them at this time.

2) I did not put related coursework on my resume because A: They already have my transcript and B: It takes up too much valuable real estate on the resume.

If you received an award or something for a specific class it might justify putting it on your resume.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:46 am

Flett wrote:
smscat wrote:These questions must have been answered somewhere but I can't find them.

Thanks!
1) It sounds like a lot of people aren't bothering. I have one (they offered so I figured "why not?"), but I'm not going to bother tracking down a second. Besides, not all schools even accept them at this time.

2) I did not put related coursework on my resume because A: They already have my transcript and B: It takes up too much valuable real estate on the resume.

If you received an award or something for a specific class it might justify putting it on your resume.
Of the 21 law schools I'm applying to, only 4 recommend submitting evaluations. Take that FWIW.

Korey

New

LSAC GPA calculation

Post by Korey » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:58 pm

Hey,
Thanks for these really useful posts.

After reading, I have one question regarding the segment about how the LSAC calculates GPA:
I apologize in advance if this is an ignorant question.

As far as I know, at my undergraduate institution it is impossible to receive an A+..
I say this because in a class where my course average was a 97+, it simply says A on my unofficial transcript.

So would this put me at a disadvantage with GPA in comparison to someone who has several A+'s in their LSAC GPA calculation?

or am I missing something?

im_blue

Gold

Re: LSAC GPA calculation

Post by im_blue » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:41 pm

Korey wrote:As far as I know, at my undergraduate institution it is impossible to receive an A+..
I say this because in a class where my course average was a 97+, it simply says A on my unofficial transcript.

So would this put me at a disadvantage with GPA in comparison to someone who has several A+'s in their LSAC GPA calculation?
Yes, but nothing can be done about that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”