law student attire

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Go Bears
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:06 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby Go Bears » Tue May 13, 2008 3:04 pm

edcrane wrote:
Go Bears wrote:I can't believe someone on here thought that polos/button-up casual shirts are overdressing.

I am 32 years old, and there is no way that I'm going to look like a homeless person in class. I would look like a tool on the opposite extreme - the oldster who is trying to look hip (I remember a scene on "Friends" - it was a sitcom back in the olden days - when one of the main characters Joey was trying to get an acting part written for a 19-year-old. He came out with a Knicks jersey, sweats pulled down around his ass and a stocking cap. I don't want to be that guy).

I mean, polos and button-ups w/jeans or very casual khakis are essentially my couch clothes these days.


I hear ya. Nonetheless, there's a wide range of button up shirts--some are clearly more casual than others. I'm definitely going to be wearing button up shirts and khakis when I go to LS, but I doubt I'll be making use of my collection of solid blue, solid white, and striped blue shirts (all very business casual and none of which can be worn without being tucked in). I'm certainly not going to be ironing my clothes on a regular basis.


Well, sure, certainly not those! I'm talking J-Crew, A&F, Banana Republic shirts that you don't tuck in. I mean, if someone thinks I'm a tool for having a "collared shirt" on, then I give up.

Go Bears
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:06 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby Go Bears » Tue May 13, 2008 3:06 pm

It definitely, however, will be nice to once again see young ladies in T-shirts and form-fitting sweats and/or jeans.

It's going to be sensory overload for this old man.

User avatar
waytofailself
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:20 am

Re: law student attire

Postby waytofailself » Tue May 13, 2008 3:25 pm

I could rant and ramble (and I actually started to but deleted it), but this is an example where parents, as others have said, have good intentions but a clear disconnect with today's times.

You are your own human...dress like a human. I see a lot of people saying they don't want to be a tool but somewhat forgetting exactly what it means to be a tool: the inability to be comfortable in one's own skin.

Seriously, there is a time and a place for dressing professionally. Every other time should be what you want to wear. For me, it's whatever magically hits my hand when I reach into the laundry mass on the floor -- but that works for me. If you're too busy trying to be someone you're not, you're going to break under any kind of pressure.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23652
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby chup » Tue May 13, 2008 3:29 pm

thedogship wrote:It's true - and all the pathetic intentional battery, trespass to chattels, and conversion claims you make subsequently will fall on deaf ears as people's first question will be "Did you or did you not have a good reason to wear that tie today?" Rule 1: Prateck ya neck.


FALSE: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/11/fashion/11CODES.html?_r=1&scp=33&sq=ties&st=nyt&oref=slogin

Seriously though, anyone else a big fan of the tie + jeans look? If someone asked me, "Did you or did you not have a good reason to wear that tie today?" my answer would be "Yes, I had a good reason. Because it's baller. Now leave me be, peasant."

Image

Go Bears
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:06 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby Go Bears » Tue May 13, 2008 3:34 pm

chup wrote:
thedogship wrote:It's true - and all the pathetic intentional battery, trespass to chattels, and conversion claims you make subsequently will fall on deaf ears as people's first question will be "Did you or did you not have a good reason to wear that tie today?" Rule 1: Prateck ya neck.


FALSE: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/11/fashion/11CODES.html?_r=1&scp=33&sq=ties&st=nyt&oref=slogin

Seriously though, anyone else a big fan of the tie + jeans look? If someone asked me, "Did you or did you not have a good reason to wear that tie today?" my answer would be "Yes, I had a good reason. Because it's baller. Now leave me be, peasant."

Image


No. But that's only because someone I work with does it, and doesn't carry it off with nearly the aplomb of the guy in your picture.

MochaLaw
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:47 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby MochaLaw » Tue May 13, 2008 3:43 pm

--
Last edited by MochaLaw on Sat May 17, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
jgarr
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:54 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby jgarr » Tue May 13, 2008 3:44 pm

The dude's name is McCracken? Anyone else remember a Bart Simpson joke about Phil McCrackin? I have trouble believing anyone with that name anymore...

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23652
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby chup » Tue May 13, 2008 4:05 pm

Go Bears wrote:No. But that's only because someone I work with does it, and doesn't carry it off with nearly the aplomb of the guy in your picture.

I will grant you that aplomb is needed for jeans + tie.

18488
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:57 am

Re: law student attire

Postby 18488 » Tue May 13, 2008 4:12 pm

...
Last edited by 18488 on Fri May 16, 2008 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KidA23
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:52 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby KidA23 » Tue May 13, 2008 4:19 pm

I'm thinking something along the lines of-

Image

18488
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:57 am

Re: law student attire

Postby 18488 » Tue May 13, 2008 4:22 pm

...
Last edited by 18488 on Fri May 16, 2008 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23652
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby chup » Tue May 13, 2008 4:24 pm

KidA23 wrote:I'm thinking something along the lines of-

Image

Also baller.

User avatar
Undecided83
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:35 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby Undecided83 » Tue May 13, 2008 5:27 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:...jeans, shorts...


Jeans & shorts are fine, but stay away from JEAN-SHORTS!!

est1980
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:45 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby est1980 » Tue May 13, 2008 5:31 pm

Undecided83 wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:...jeans, shorts...


Jeans & shorts are fine, but stay away from JEAN-SHORTS!!


Unless you got to either Florida or Alabama, in which case it is completely appropriate and probably best to set off your Jorts with a nice gold chain (ala Mike Shula).

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23652
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby chup » Tue May 13, 2008 5:38 pm

est1980 wrote:
Undecided83 wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:...jeans, shorts...


Jeans & shorts are fine, but stay away from JEAN-SHORTS!!


Unless you got to either Florida or Alabama, in which case it is completely appropriate and probably best to set off your Jorts with a nice gold chain (ala Mike Shula).

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
limegreen
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby limegreen » Tue May 13, 2008 5:42 pm

Undecided83 wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:...jeans, shorts...


Jeans & shorts are fine, but stay away from JEAN-SHORTS!!


Jorts are the worst fashion crime ever. The only thing that comes remotely close is socks with sandals.

User avatar
bocifious
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:18 am

Re: law student attire

Postby bocifious » Tue May 13, 2008 5:50 pm

logicianwannabe wrote:
jgarr wrote:I don't know why anyone would 'dress up' for class. I'll be sporting the mesh shorts as far into winter as possible.


My dad thinks it's necessary to show everyone that you're sharp, motivated, and organized by dressing fashionably and neatly in semi-formal dress every day. He contends that this will be the impression you want your classmates and professors to remember about you, and that this impression would be absolutely essential later on, since they might serve as references in future jobs. It seems to me that dressing in this way would instead tell people that you're a conservative, sheltered, uptight, awkward gunner that they should avoid dealing with at all costs.



You are right, your dad is wrong. If you are using friends from school as references I would hope they know more about you then that you dressed up for school each day for no reason.

User avatar
bocifious
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:18 am

Re: law student attire

Postby bocifious » Tue May 13, 2008 6:06 pm

chup wrote:
thedogship wrote:It's true - and all the pathetic intentional battery, trespass to chattels, and conversion claims you make subsequently will fall on deaf ears as people's first question will be "Did you or did you not have a good reason to wear that tie today?" Rule 1: Prateck ya neck.


FALSE: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/11/fashion/11CODES.html?_r=1&scp=33&sq=ties&st=nyt&oref=slogin

Seriously though, anyone else a big fan of the tie + jeans look? If someone asked me, "Did you or did you not have a good reason to wear that tie today?" my answer would be "Yes, I had a good reason. Because it's baller. Now leave me be, peasant."

Image


It is absolutely fine to dress up if you look like the models in that NYT article or on the pages of GQ. Sadly this doesn't describe most law students :(

for the record I like the shirt + tie + jeans look, but I don't think I can really pull it off so I don't try.

User avatar
bruinbear
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:00 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby bruinbear » Tue May 13, 2008 7:09 pm

im definitely looking foward to law school even more if guys all looked and dressed like those models. i might even dress up for them.

but all i hear is that somehow one of the ugliest guy in OK sneaked into our class :mrgreen:

jaliebs
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 10:11 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby jaliebs » Tue May 13, 2008 8:16 pm

Mosel wrote:
but i also think it'll be pretty easy to tell whos dressed up cause thats their natural style and whos dressed up like a douche trying to iimpress


TITCR.

Don't forget: this is professional school and there will be students who are well-removed from undergrad, have been in the work force for some time already, and have already 'transitioned' into wearing business clothes. But like the quote above states, I think it will be easy to pick out the people who dress a little nicer simply because that's their thing and that's what they're accustomed to. It will also be easy to pick out the people who are all snazzed up because "I need to look like a winner to be a winner!!" The former earn my respect. The latter earn my LOLs.


Screw that. I'll be a bit older than average and I can't wait for fall so I can ditch my "nice" clothes and get back into jeans/shorts/t-shirts/flip flops. The days of paying for dry cleaning, ironing my clothes, etc will gladly be put on hold for 3 years.

Fourttier
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:48 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby Fourttier » Tue May 13, 2008 8:45 pm

lishi wrote:
Fourttier wrote:I knew a law student who dressed like a slob, looked like a slob, and kinda acted like a slob. He graduated ranked number 8 in his class, of a Tier 2 school. And then was hired for the highest known starting salary in his graduating class. Seems that how you dress in law school doen't really matter in some cases.


Well yeah it doesn't matter for firms that don't see you on a regular basis, and only see you dressed up for the interview. Of course they aren't going to care that you dressed like a homeless person on a daily basis, because they don't know about that side of you.

But the OP was talking about how your peers and professors will see you.


How his profs and classmates saw him had no negative impact on him scholastically or professionally. Maybe the time not spent ironing shirts was spent on studying. But people said that he would stop screwing off and study on a regular basis when away from the law school. He sure did not act like someone who would graduate 8 in class.

User avatar
NeedAllTheHelpICanGet
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:06 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby NeedAllTheHelpICanGet » Tue May 13, 2008 8:54 pm

lukertin wrote:
Living in America wrote:During my law school visits, I noticed that many people dressed a lot better for class than I would have expected. I don't think you will be labeled a "tool" if you dress well for class, as long as it isn't over the top.

I'm going to wear a 3-piece suit everyday for class.



You're a tool.
Everyone knows the 2-piece is what you wear to LS!

Fourttier
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:48 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby Fourttier » Tue May 13, 2008 8:55 pm

NeedAllTheHelpICanGet wrote:
lukertin wrote:
Living in America wrote:During my law school visits, I noticed that many people dressed a lot better for class than I would have expected. I don't think you will be labeled a "tool" if you dress well for class, as long as it isn't over the top.

I'm going to wear a 3-piece suit everyday for class.



You're a tool.
Everyone knows the 2-piece is what you wear to LS!


I prefer shorts and sunglasses. :wink:

User avatar
lishi
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:53 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby lishi » Tue May 13, 2008 8:56 pm

Fourttier wrote:Maybe the time not spent ironing shirts was spent on studying. But people said that he would stop screwing off and study on a regular basis when away from the law school. He sure did not act like someone who would graduate 8 in class.


No one said you have to iron your shirts to not look like a slob. If you can't wake up and have enough time to grab a clean t-shirt out of your drawer and take a quick shower because you are afraid of losing those 10 minutes of study time, I think you have problem. And I'm sure those 10 minutes can be made up at some other time of the day.

I'm not talking about always wearing khaki's and a button down, or wearing a "power suit" or anything. All I'm saying is make sure your clean, have clean clothes (and underwear just because that's good hygiene), and brush your teeth. I don't see how that would be very detrimental to your study time.

candlelight01
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:56 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby candlelight01 » Tue May 13, 2008 8:57 pm

If you don't already have your wardrobe picked out for every day of class next year, and screened by fashion consultants, you are wrong.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests